Dark skin from being overweight

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Well I basically do not know how to ask this so hopefully there are only girls here that will read this.....my skin is dark on my thighs next to my personal spot and I just basically want to know if this goes away once I will lose weight or will it be dark forever? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!
  • I have it and it is from PCOS and IR. When your blood sugar is not under control the excess insulin tends to pool up under the skin. Once you get the IR under control it may fade somewhat but I don't think it goes away completely - mine hasn't. I also have it on the back of my neck & inside the bend in my arms (inside elbow lol).
  • Have you received a diagnosis of PCOS or IR (Insulin Resistance)? If not, you may want to go get this checked out as this can be a symptom of both.
  • It's called acanthosis nigricans, and the dark patches tend to be around the neck, armpit and groin, and around the belly button and is associated with both insulin resistance and diabetes (and rarely cancer, I'm assuming of the pancreas, since it's related to pooled insulin). If we had known what it was, my husband may have been diagnosed with diabetes earlier. Not everyone with diabetes and IR have it, or have it to the same degree.

One of our doctors says it usually does fade away or even disappear eventually if blood sugar is very consistently well-regulated, but it often takes quite a while (he wouldn't really define "quite a while," saying it varies from person to person, but it sounded like he meant months or even years).
  • I do not have PCOS or diabetes, but I did have the dark skin there ("Another": on the inner thigh up by your um, crevice, I guess I can say safely? ). And good news for all (esp. me), it went away!!
    I know that that was a big concern for me when I was heavier. I hated it and until you mentioned it, utahgirl, I hadn't even though about it for ages. Out of sight, out of mind and gone forever.
  • I know exactly what "dark areas" you're speaking of. I have those discolorations under my belly, down in "that area" and on the inner thighs. I hope it fades cuz it's gross. I also have it in the crease of my pelvis, between my hip and my big ol tummy (not so big anymore).

As for the PCOS brown spots, I have those too. 1 on the back of my neck, 1 in each armpit and 1 on the side of my neck right at the slope that hits the shoulder.

Wow - TMI...
  • Yup, I have that too.

It's weird. I have that, skin tags, am apple shaped-

But I've had a regular period since I was 11, no excess body hair, no acne.

I don't know whether I have PCOS or not, I've never truly had reason to check! Up until I came to this forum I thought all these things were normal and ran in my family lol. Which they do. But I'm starting to think maybe not so normal.

Also, I know a lot of thin girls with this too, it's normal to have a "halo" kind effect going. Sometimes I think it has to do with genetics, and our own personal coloration. Just like the color and shape of the personal spot itself.
  • I don't have skin tags or spots or anything.....it is just really dark in my inner thighs from being so heavy and have my skin rub together for so many years and what not.....am glad to hear that it will fade when I lose weight!
  • I had that too (not related to IR or PCOS). It drove me batty when I had to have my annual exam. My doctor is gorgeous and I felt so embarrassed! He was very kind about it and when I expressed my concerns he assured me it would fade as I lost weight but also mentioned I could use cocoa butter or a lotion with AHA and that would help too. When the chub rub was actively inflammed I used a mild topical steroid, which reduced the inflammation and soothed the skin.

A silly question: When are you noticing the discoloration? When you are sitting with your legs apart in front of a mirror? I noticed it looked far more discolored from this angle. Try lifting each leg and looking at it from the side with a mirror. It'll help give a more accurate assessment of the problem.

Also, just want to note, I'm not saying that using the creams/AHA lotion will for sure rid you of the problem, but it does help and it certain makes the skin FEEL better, which can go a long way towards making you feel better.

I'm medium brown and my areas looked almost black and it horrified me. It's much, much better now and the skin feels a lot better. Good luck!
  • I also had those areas. Although it is not totally gone -- it is much much better. My neck is pretty much gone (it always looked dirty before).

I didn't have IR or PCOS.
  • Same - I definitely noticed it when I was heavier. It definitely faded as I lost weight,the dark discoloration on the creases of my inner thighs is practically gone now. As far as I know, I didn't have IR or PCOS.
  • Quote: A silly question: When are you noticing the discoloration? When you are sitting with your legs apart in front of a mirror? I noticed it looked far more discolored from this angle. Try lifting each leg and looking at it from the side with a mirror. It'll help give a more accurate assessment of the problem.

Also, just want to note, I'm not saying that using the creams/AHA lotion will for sure rid you of the problem, but it does help and it certain makes the skin FEEL better, which can go a long way towards making you feel better.
    I notice the discoloration when I look at myself down there.......It does look worse when I look in the mirror...but it is pretty disgusting.....I have never had a boyfriend ever say anything....but it just makes me feel uncomfortable about myself....I just wanted to know if it fades as the skin get air or if it would be permanent.....I am glad to hear from others that your has faded and will be glad to see mine eventually disappear! Thanks a ton for your responses!
  • I have brownness on my inner thighs due to my legs rubbing together. I hope this crap does go away.
  • Quote: I have brownness on my inner thighs due to my legs rubbing together. I hope this crap does go away.
    My inner thighs and the back of my thighs are a lot darker brown than the rest of my body. I'm hoping as I lose more weight it will go away also, because it is so NOT ATTRACTIVE. I am borderline IS (2006 I was diagnosed with IS, but 2007 I DIDN't have it by a few points), so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it????
  • For dark skin between thighs and in your pits
    Besan powder - 150gm
    Corn flour - 250 gm
    Tomato puree - 1 spoon
    Curd - 2 spoon
    Rose water
    Curry leaves paste - 2 spoon
    Egg white - 2 eggs

Make a paste, apply,let dry. Do this for 15 days. The best thing to happen to me.