Guessing Other People's Weight

• wow do i suck at this! LOL

Our office started a "Biggest Loser" club (it's on tonight kids!) and I was just checking over people who've joined ~ I tried guessing everyone's weight and I was LOW by as much as 60 lbs.!!!

a girl i think has a great shape, is my height 5'8, i thought she'd weigh about 170 and she's 233??!? crazy!!!

People always weigh more than i think

I don't know why I thought my musings on this subject warrented a post, but there you go LOL
  • Our office has a Biggest Loser Challenge going too. There's between 5-8 of us any given month since January. No one wants anyone to know their weigh, so I was chosen (by default, since we're using my digital scales from home) to keep track of the weights.

I realized after our first weigh in that I was not only the biggest, but the youngest. The oldest (70) lady's starting weight (we're the same height) is my ultimate goal weight. Too funny. However, I've also lost the most of anyone doing it naturally, without diet pills imported from Europe.
  • I'm just as bad at it. People hold their weight so different. It's amazing to me. I guess it really is just a number. I just wish it didn't mean so much to me.
  • I also haven't got a clue as to what anyone else weighs. Not a clue. Every now and then when someone reveals their weight to me, I am so off. I always under estimate. Same thing on the Biggest Loser last week. I thought they all looked like they weighed less then they really did.

The thing is though, I've found that people under estimate my weight as well. I've had people recently tell me that I probably don't even weigh 100lbs (yeah, right). When I was in the 140's many people thought I was in the 120's. When I told my good friend that I had hit the 100lb lost mark, she couldn't believe it. She said she had no idea that I was over 100lbs overweight.
  • People carry their weight SO differently, don't they? I can NEVER guess how much someone weighs.
  • I usually OVER estimate weights.. I think because I don't see myself as heavy as I really am. There is a girl at work that just started Jenny Craig and I thought she was way bigger than me, honestly I pegged her about 325. Turns out she was only 250. Smaller than me. Ouch.
  • I'm usually pretty good - 10 pounds either way. However, some of those big guys did throw me off last week on TBL.
  • No one ever guesses my weight correctly. I went to a doctor once in college and was getting a prescription that varied in dosage based on weight. She asked me how much I weighed. At the time it was 200. She wouldn't believe me and wanted to give me a lower dose. I said, "Hello? Who would lie in that direction???"

Recently I've quietly told a few close friends what I've lost so far. Their responses have been, "I didn't know you had that much to lose?" Huh? I couldn't bear to tell them how far I have to go.

We all carry weight differently stretched on different sized frames and made of different combinations of fat and muscle. I seem to have a secret compartment filled with lead pellets somewhere inside.
  • In case you haven't seen it, here's a site with people at different weights, the Photographic Height/Weight Chart

Some of them really fool me.

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodie...htweight.shtml

[Note to Mods: I believe this site complies with the 3FC rules for external links]
  • I don't even try any longer because I'm always off at least 40 lbs one way or the other.
  • I have a gift for guessing weights. If only there was some way to make money off of it, other than working for a carnival, I'd be a rich woman. I was within a couple of pounds on all the Biggest Losers last week. My husband was astounded. He is awful at it; I told him that if he could guess my starting weight within 20 pounds, that I would tell him what it was. His guess? 205. Then when I told him he wasn't within 20, he didn't know whether he was high or low. Probably why I love him so much.
  • Quote: I'm just as bad at it. People hold their weight so different. It's amazing to me. I guess it really is just a number. I just wish it didn't mean so much to me.
    It is amazing.

When I was 135 lb, my classmates thought I was 115 lbs. And when I was 150, they thought I was 120 max.

Even now, my own mother was like "You're not going to loose more than 50 lbs, are you?" I and told her that would still put me in the obese category. She thought I weighed 175.
  • I am also awful at it. I also think everyone, even now, weighs less than I do!
  • BillBlueEyes, that chart is a trip. The chick who is my height and goal weight looks fat to me, bummer!