I dyed! (OT)

• About 6 weeks ago, I decided to dye my hair from brown to red. The red I started with was pretty bland....it was very natural looking, but kinda too brownish orange IMO. So today I picked a new shade of red. And it is..............RED. Very, very red. Just wondering, for those of you who dye, and more specifically those who dye to a hard-to-keep color, if there is a brand of shampoo/conditioner color extender that actually does a good job (and doesn't cost a ton). I know this is more of a general discussion question, but I trust you ladies, and I know some of you don't check that forum.
  • lol I will try to post a picture tomorrow if I can get a good one. Oops, wait, that's impossible. .

I am hoping to get it cut soon. When (if.....) I get my bonus from work.
  • I have naturally deep brown hair, and any color other than black turns my hair bright clown shoes red. When I choose to be a red head though, a good quality dye seems to be the most effective in lasting vibrance to my color. When I am going black, I get $3 cheapies...But anything else it's the good stuff or the salon. I have some shine serums that keep the color looking BETTER..but not necessarily more long lasting. Most of that "color extending" crap is just that...crap.
  • Yeah. I have a lot of grey, so I get mine done about every 4 weeks. My natural color (the part that isn't grey) is darkest ash brown. I've been red (about 10 yrs), I've been blond (also about 10 yrs) and I've been brunette like now. I just can't do my own. It always looks like a home job. I finally started going to a salon about 2 yrs ago, and I'm thrilled. The only thing that doesn't fade on me is blond. That fades too, but it doesn't seem as noticeable. I think the sun is the biggest factor, followed by too-harsh shampoo. Unfortunately, all the cheap stuff tends to be pretty harsh. Loreal seems to be as good as more expensive brands. When I was doing my own hair I got the fluorescent orange color-by-Monsanto look, but when I got it professionally done, it lifted to a pretty soft light blond the first time, without completely frying it. There is no substitute for a good colorist, unfortunately. Can't really afford her. I do it anyway, and just cut back somewhere else.
  • Hi, WinterStarzz,

My hair is (was) naturally red, but I went quite grey in my late 20s. I've been coloring my hair back to its natural color ever since -- over 20 years. Getting reds right is HARD!! Like Shellie, I much prefer a professional colorist and I agree they are worth their weight in gold if you can find one.

Since we moved to a very rural location, though, I do my own hair. Too far to drive every month to fix it. It's one of my few concessions since I don't think the goats care if I look like Ronald McDonald for a couple of days right after coloring. To get the color I want, I combine 2 colors from the Herbal Essence line. It's a temporary color, not permanent, easier on my fragile hair. I need to do it about every 3-4 weeks... not because it fades badly, but because my hair grows out enough that it's noticeable if I go longer between colorings. I'm surprised how well the temporary color covers my grey -- my natural color is about 70% gone.

I've tried every type of shampoo/conditioner/extender on the market, expensive or otherwise, and I haven't really found one that works. The extenders tend to over-red my hair so I don't use them. I do like K-Pak deep conditioner if I can find it... use it once or twice a week.

When I had a great colorist, she explained to me that the red color components (she said molocules) are bigger than other colors so they rinse off easier and cause the red color to fade faster. When she did my hair, or now when I do my own, I try to time my colorings so I can stick around the house for the first couple of days to give the color a chance to fade! Then I'm happy with it for 3 weeks before I need to do it all over again.

Hope there is some information here that is helpful to you!

All the best, Rae
  • Just make sure to use a shampoo and conditioner that is for color treated hair. Red is the hardest color to retain and keep vibrant. I know, because I've dyed mine red for years and years now. What I do love is John Freida color glaze. It is about $8 but really puts the shine back in red hair better than anything I've ever used. Also, if you get your dye at a beauty supply store and mix it yourself you will have better results than much of the premixed stuff at the store.
  • Quote: Also, if you get your dye at a beauty supply store and mix it yourself you will have better results than much of the premixed stuff at the store.
    Absolutely true. Unfortunately, in Oregon it's illegal for a beauty supply store to sell to anyone other than a licensed beautician, so I'm making do until my next trip out of state!

Rae
  • Pureology - in the purple bottles. It's especially for keeping the color.
    www.pureology.com
    hope it's ok that I invaded your forum; I saw the subject of the post so had to read -- I've been dye-ing for 30 years!