THE GOLDEN GIRLS - September '07

You're on Page 12 of 27
Go to
  • Ok
    thanks for all the congrats,
    I was so excited I had to come here, right after I shared with my family, via email.
    just a fast one tonight. Have to go to bed early, Another busy day in the am.
    I have curves hopefully by 7:30. That should give me time for Orientation for my new job.
    I gave my 2 weeks today. I should start sometime after the 24Th. Its totally up to them, the exact date.
    I will work from about noon to 8 p.m. Much longer than the 2 hrs a day. And I will make $1 more an hr. Not to bad.
    Then With this job…I will only drive 1.2 miles from my front door! Can't beat that either.
    There will definitely be some ladies I will find it hard to leave behind. But I will be glad they are not living Where I am going. It is a large nursing home. Not an assisted living home. So, I just have to be glad they don’t NEED to go with me.

Paula,
    you will remain in my thoughts and prayers, And the rest of your family. take care.

Marylynn,
    Is that a recent pic of you?
    You look great in it.

Karen,
    Congrats on getting the rings off. I had the same one recently. Its so exciting to have a NSV Moment! Keep up the good job!

Cat,
    that is one neat little gift. I have been wanting to get something like that for a long time. Would be great to have. It would make me feel good about using it. Helping with our enviroment too. I already do the little things that I can. Most of the time at least. We are going to try the natural fertilizers and weed killers next summer. I bought 2 books with recipes for homemade weed and feeds. I can’t wait to try them.

LindaD
    Congrats on the 5 pound loss!! That is phenomenal! better than I did for the months of July and August.

Lyn
    congrats on the 2.4 pounds. its all that walking you do when you go out for a vacation. I am surprised it wasn’t more.

Zoe,
    Are you feeling better? Hope so. I am sending some motivation to ya!. its flying on its way…on the wings of angels.

Lynn,
    thanks for the article on saturated fats. Never hurts to learn. I hope to learn something Everyday.

well its late, and I have to get up early in the am. See you later ladies.

• Paula: I'm so sorry about the passing of your father. I lost my father a few years back. He was a pastor and touched so many lives. After the funeral my family and friends celebrated his life and laughed and cried at all the precious memories. I hope your slacks fit you tomorrow. My prayers are with you. God Bless
  • Hello everyone,

OMG! I was away from the computer most of the day yesterday and can't get over the posts!

I did get on the scales yesterday, and I gained 1 lb. But, I it's my own fault for not staying 100% OP over the weekend. I am back OP.

Linda D, YAY!!!! 5 lbs. That is fantastic!!Keep up the good work.

Sho6md, The people are so supportive and I know you're going to like it here.

Lori, many years ago my MIL & FIL rented a condo on Sanibel for 2 months during the winter. Now that they come down for the entire winter, they rent a condo in Ft Myers. DH & I have been to Sanibel many times. It is a beautiful place. The Wendie Plan is a variation of WW where you vary your points or you can do the same thing if you're counting calories. A few pages back, Linda-Meowee posted a link to the explanation of the Wendie Plan. I copied and pasted it for you. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18 If you scroll down you'll see a "Sticky" with the info on the Wendi Plan.

Gayle, I would've freaked out if I saw one of those lizards in my bed. We have them here in FL too. A friend of mine took one of her plants off the lanai and brought it into her bedroom not knowing one of those little darlings was living in it. One day she opened up her underwear drawer and there it was just lying there. I've had one come into the house and had to chase it around the livingroom with a broom trying to get it back outside, which I did manage to do.

Lyn, it sounds like you and your DH had a good time over the weekend.

Paula, my thoughts will be with you today. I lost my Dad in the middle of winter a few years ago, we lived in NH at the time. There was so much snow on the ground we had to postpone his funeral until spring. It was hard for a few months not having closure.

Cat, that was a nice story about your Dad's funeral. I'm sorry you recently lost your Dad.

Karen, that's great you heard from the couple who are interested in your house. I hope when they see your house they'll snap it right up.

Hi! to everyone I missed.
    Ali
  • Good Morning, Everyone,

Hi Linda (Meowee), you wrote, "Even after all these years, I haven't developed the willpower to control my Diabetes as well as you do"
    I wonder if bc you've had diabetes for a long time, you've kind of gotten used to having it? For me, this is a new thing & VERY scary. This summer, when I was with my nephew in MD (he has type 1), I couldn't get over how unconcerned he seemed to be. Maybe I'll get to that point someday, but for now, the fear is working on my side so I think I'll hold onto it for a while.

Hi Theresa, you wrote, "Mostly I just drink water." This is one behavior I have not yet acquired. I still drink mostly decaf coffee and decaf diet soda. I drink water at restaurants, but not at home. I think I'll start keeping a pitcher of water in the refrig with a sliced orange in it. I had that at a restaurant & it was very nice. I hope you like what you hear at the Orientation today.

Hi Lyn, Down 2.4 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray for you!

Hi LindaD, How about you send some of that beautiful Southern CA weather eastward? We could use a beautiful day at this end of the country.
    Down 5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm DoInG tHe HaPpY dAnCe for you.

Hi Paula, be good to yourself. I'm thinking about you.

Hi Karen, you wrote, "I was happy today to have a NSV!! I was able to get my wedding rings off!!" I know exactly how you feel. When I had my skin cancer surgery, I couldn't remove my rings & they had to tape them. Now, I can actually get them off without scraping my fingers!

Hi Margaret, I like your folder idea for your recipes - I think I'll try that.

Hi Lori, Glad you had a nice anniversary. Drink a lot of water to get rid of the bloating.

Hi Cat, I watched The Biggest Loser last night. One man (age 62) lost over 30 lbs in one week! However, I could not believe the way those trainers beat them up. I wonder if anyone actually gets seriously hurt on that show.

Hi Ali, don't worry about that pound - it's just an upward bounce. I keep track of my bounces - they're all over the place. However, both the up bounces and the down bounces keep getting lower.

I have to check on my class, run to the podiatrist, and pick up my friend for scrapping. I'm taking a planned day off from exercise.

Check back tonight.

Lynn
  • Good Morning . . .

Well, Lynn . . . Unfortunately, you are right. If I think back to when I was first diagnosed (a good 16 years ago), I was probably the best-behaved little diabetic in captivity for the first year or so. After that, I kind of decided to bury my head in the sand for a little while (like a few years) in the hopes it would just go away. It didn't. I only got back to being really serious about stuff around 5 or 6 years ago (when I had to start shooting insulin). OMG, girl, please don't let that pattern get you too. I sincerely hope you can learn from my mistakes and keep yours under control without settling into a complacent phase. . .

New job sounds great, Theresa . . . The extra money will be great -- once you get used to the extra hours and finally find the time to be able to enjoy the money, that is . . .

Hang in there, Ali. . . Keep doing the good stuff just as much as you can and that nasty little pound will be gone again soon.

On that note . . . happy to say that I've managed to catch up to my ticker again -- guess that should be "catch down to" -- hopefully things will be all downhill from here on.

I already got a little extra exercise in today hauling my garbage to the curb. We only get pickup every second week so I always have a fair amount to get out, but today I had an extra eight very large and heavy bags of yard compost-ables to put out as well. I was sweating buckets by the time I got it done. Our weather can't decide if it's going to be sunny or rainy today, but it definately knows it's going to be humid and windy.

Well . . . I'd better get about my 3FC rounds and see what's going on. Hope you all have a great day planned . . . see you soon. . .
  • Wow, I am so far behind here....let's see...

LindaD, Congrats on the 5 lbs....that is sooooooo great.

Lori, I live on the east coast of Florida north of W. Palm Beach about 7 miles from the ocean. We really love it here. Have been to Ft. Meyers Beach and Sanibel several times....we have friends over there....love their beaches. I bloat up everytime I eat too much or foods I haven't eaten in a long time, I believe that is normal....drink lots of water.

Cat, you will have fun with your new toy for sure. That sounds like you did have a good time at your Dad's funeral....we did at my Fathers too. He would have liked it I know.

Lynn, my dh goes in spurts where he is really good about his food and exercise then falls apart for several months. Right now he is being so good and walking with me doing the WTPA tapes and that keeps his sugar right on track. Stay on top of it so you don't have to go on insulin. Good luck with your new class....I know your looking forward to it.

Linda, I think everyone starts off staying very aware at first, it's like anything else....diets, we all start off doing really good then start slipping up. Lifestyle changes are hard. How are the kittens behaving....I sure miss mine.

Karen, getting your rings off, great NSV. I can tell if I'm holding water by mine. Well, I hope this will be the couple to buy your place......going to send extra special vibes this weekend! No one looking yet, of course it's only been 4 days!

Tee, your job sounds like it was made for you especially with it being so close to your home. Congrats!!!!!!! I hope you really like it.

Ali, drink tons of water and you'll lose that pound fast. As I said earlier we love Sanibel too.....we are thinking of going back over for a couple days before we move to Ohio.

Zoe, how are you my dear? I was feeling the way you are about my life and then we retired, that sure solved the doing something different problem! A lot of retirees down here work at the schools as mentors for the younger children, there is a huge need for help here. If we end up staying I am thinking of doing that or maybe helping out at the womens clinic I go to by the hospital....something constructive with my free time. If we move I'll do the same up there. How's the Wendie plan going?

Margaret, hey....we're allowed a day off now and then, otherwise life gets too boring!.....I like your system with the recipes, I just pile mine up. You have given me the motivation to do that project today.

Paula, my heart is with you today...you and your family are in my prayers.

Phyllis
  • Good morning to you, good morning to you, we’re all in our places with sunshiny faces…la, la, la! Huh! Sunshiny faces, ptooey! Yup, yup, I’ve been feeling old and cranky lately, and I could see this becoming a permanent condition if I don’t consciously do something to cheer myself up and become more tolerant of my fellow man (fellow workers would be the most accurate term, I guess). Was in meetings all day yesterday practically, and in all but one, was struck repeatedly by how ignorant – yet how mouthy and aggressive some people can be. And why is it always the ones with the least experience and the most to learn who seem to have the most to say….thus taking up time that I could be spending far more productively – like writing a post for the GG’s? I may be just tired. Still not back 100% from the bronchitis…still coughing some at night despite having had antibiotics and despite certainly feeling a lot better – just don’t seem to be back up to snuff for some reason. Or maybe it’s the organization I’m working for, which seems more ludicrous every day. (It’s one of those which came first conundrums… the chicken or the egg, the bronchitis or the stupidity of my job? )
    Okay, sorry for being so negative. I’ve been hungry lately too, but am attributing it to lousy attitude in general and haven’t given in to overeating except for that one midnight raid on the fridge and cupboards, but I already reported that.
    That article on saturated fat was interesting, Lynn. I actually think that we all have differing ways of reacting to, or processing certain (or uncertain…) foods. For example, when I ate on the Atkins plan for lo, those seven years after my son was born, and stayed at my ideal weight, I had my cholesterol tested every year because of the high fat consumption (breakfasts were frequently 3-egg omelets with plenty of cheese, a half pound or more of bacon, sometimes sausage cooked into the omelet; I could eat a jumbo prime rib all by myself, or a pound of more of steak, big jumbo cheeseburgers, etc., etc.) and my doctor told me to go ahead and eat a whole pig (or cow) if I felt like it because I just seemed to have naturally good cholesterol. Plus with the smoking…I mean, some people get lung cancer who’ve never smoked a day in their lives, and some people have smoked for years and years with no ill effects while others of us have PLENTY of ill effects and just can’t do it. I remember reading an article in some magazine – actually I think it was in my lawyer’s office when I was getting my divorce – about a woman in France who was 112 years old. The interviewer asked her why she thought she’d lived so long, and she said, “I imagine it’s because I quit smoking.” So the interviewer asks her when she quit, and she says, “Last year”. So generally speaking, I think that we all should follow a healthy diet (although there’s plenty of differing opinions about what that is, exactly), exercise, and not smoke, but I say that with the caveat that we really are all different in how our bodies process what we eat and/or inhale.
    Congrats on your 2.4 # loss, Lyn! Way to go, lady!!!! (I knew all that walking and exercising was going to show itself sooner or later!)
    Omigawd, Marylynn! Is that how you look, woman???? Get off this website!!!!!! Jes’ kiddin’…. but you look great! Why’re you trying to lose weight?
    Tee!!! Yay! Yay! You’re so kewl, you’re so awesome!!! Sometimes good things DO happen to good people!!!! That job sounds like it’s going to work out really well for you. What a dream commute, girlfriend! Makes me feel like I ought to be packing a suitcase when I hit that stinkin’ ‘Pike every morning!
    Congrats on that five pounds, LindaD!!!!! And I sure do envy you that weather…spoke real briefly with my boykid over the weekend and he says he’s been working eleven days straight and hasn’t had much opportunity to enjoy it, but he’s made sure to have time off when I get there the first week in November – I guess I’m going to be shown the sights!
    Karen, you hit the nail right on the head as far as overeating the HEALTHY foods when you have the “munchies”. That’s what I do, too, I think. I mean, if I’m going to have an extra ten points, seems like I’d be happier “spending” it on…..hmmmm….chocolate…. than on another cup of Fiber One cereal, for instance. I eat the cup of Fiber One and I’m STILL craving something “good”. I guess I really have to work on my definition of “good”, right?
    Hi Lori…glad you’re enjoying the GG’s….we’re happy to have you be one of us!
    Hi Ali….One of my friends moved down to Flawridder about five years ago. They were building a house down there and rented an apartment for @ six months while the house was being built. She had a long raccoon coat and a shorter mink jacket that she’d had cleaned folded up in one of those heavy garment bags. She put them up in the top of a closet and didn’t think anything about them (who needs furs in Flawridder?) until they were moving into their new place, and when she reached up to get them off the shelf, they fell on top of her in big chunks…they were full of ants, and the ants had eaten them to literal shreds. Ack! I’d take a little ole’ lizard over that, any day!
    Hi Meowee-Linda….glad to see the ole’ ticker moving down again. Good going, lady!
    Hi, Phyl, darlin’…..You’re probably right, about retiring, I mean. I would SO love to do what you’ve done! I could never get my DH down there, tho….I can’t even talk him into Nawth Cahlina fer Pete’s sake! (Where’d I get THAT accent?) I’m still thinking about how pretty your condo is, and how much I’d love to have a place like that …I guess your “patio” is actually called a “lanai”? I don’t know, but it sure is nice! No lawn to mow, no shrubs to trim, but a nice spot where you can have great big lush potted plants and sit out there relaxing….ooops….I’m disappearing into this daydream… Oh. Wendi is doing okay…except for my awful midnight snacking a few nights ago, which prevented me from weighing in for the week. Better next Sunday, I’m hoping. Still not too great with the exercising, though. No get up & go, lately.
    Jo-annie..
    And hugs to any GG’s that I haven’t addressed specifically….know that I’m rooting for you, and appreciate you a lot!

Z
  • Good Morning GG's:

I'm at work and a little hungry this morning. I brought a boiled egg and some low fat string cheese so I'll eat that and hope that satisfies me. Does anyone else experience getting hungry for no reason? I go along just fine eating what I'm supposed to and bam!!! hunger consumes me. I will get past this because I know it's only temporary.

Z: I hope you begin feeling better soon. I know what you mean about meetings and sometimes people with little experience take over the floor and go on and on and on. There's always one (or more) in everyone's office......Zzzzzzz! You will enjoy CA in November. Still nice enough to go to the beach and get a suntan. If you get a chance try to visit Corona Del Mar, Newport, and LaJolla or Torry Pines in San Diego. There's Universal Studios, Disneyland, Sea World, and Hollywood that always is worth going to especially since tourist season is over.

The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy.
    ~Helen Hayes (at 73)

Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart.

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Have a great day!!!!
  • I'm trying to catchup with everyone. Tomorrow is weigh in. I'm getting ready to update our challenge thread with yesterday and today.

Sho6md and Lori You’ll love it here!

Phylis—How’s that heel? If it is not better, I’m reminding you that this is Wednesday.

Zoe---I read your Monday post. I can surely relate with the sudden eating binges. I had been doing sooo good when yesterday I went to United Dairy Farmers. DD wanted a milk shake. Did I stay in the car NOOOOOOO! I went in, got to the counter, and heard myself say “I would like a Turtle Sundae, please”. I just figured that it was 12 points. I ATE IT!! IT WAS GOOD! But it is more sensible food today---ie. Salads. I also read your post about your job. I’ve attended many a meeting with the same talkative people. What is wrong with saying “I don’t know” “I don’t recall” “l’ll check on that and get back with you”? Do they all have to waste my precious time talking? …I just keep thinking “I don’t have long” “I’ve got less than 5 more years of this”

Lynn---Thanks for the article on eating too much fat. I’m now wishing I had read it before the trip to United Dairy Farmers.

Lyn---Congrats on your 2.4 pound weight loss!!

Theresa---Congratulations on getting the job!! I’m sooo happy for you!

LindaD---Congrats on the 5 pound weight loss!!

What is a NSV?
  • Hi Is it Wednesday already? Good grief!

I’ve missed so much! This board reminds me of old school algebra classes, you miss too much & you’re lost! Hope all is well with everyone, been tied up here with family/work obligations that seem to go on & on.

Karen – Your wolf story gives me chills! Dinner & dessert is pretty much what he had in mind. Now I have to look up what the wildlife is in my area, hope its only deer & birds. Thinking of you & your sister & hoping for the best. Great news on the rings!

Phyllis – Those pics of your condo are beautiful. It looks so serene & your Dobie looks good too. Frankly I’m ready to relocate Zoe’s spa to your place. Love the patio area. Now I’m feeling guilty, must work on my own home.

Lori & Sho6 – Welcome! I’ve found this to be the nicest bunch of ladies online. Great to have you on board.

Theresa – Congratulations on the new job! Close to the house & more hours! That’s wonderful! Yup, that picture was taken last Saturday just before leaving to try out another dance place. We’re on a quest to find decent dancing in the Memphis area. Wish us luck. I’m involved with a weight loss challenge on a different website that requests pics weekly… okay that’s the best time for my pic…. Hair’s not in a ponytail & I’m not in 5 year old gym gear.

Cat – Why is it everytime I read one of your posts I suddenly want decent coffee? It’s no secret that I’m a caffeine addict but since your mention of cold brew coffee, it’s stuck in my mind. Hope your dd is doing well & you win the patience award for dealing with those children. Thankfully people like you exist so our kids & grandchildren aren’t mistreated. Thank you for sharing that story about your dad. I’ve been telling my kids that if they plan on mourning my death, then they must celebrate my life. It’s a great ride.

Zoe – Your comments about the Peace Corp got me thinking. While you may or may not choose that path you’re absolutely right that you’re still alive and still have miles left to go. Might as well live ‘em, beats marking time waiting to die. I like the way you think, it’s forward. You’re close to Worchester…. That’s the only place up there that dh & I could find to do any reasonable country & western dancing. It was only a short 2 hour drive from the North Shore where we lived. I don’t remember the name of the place but it was right next to Arthur Murray’s & the people were really friendly.

Bobbi I can’t stop giggling at your Dear Tide post! Today happened to be one of those days I had too much planned to do & if I stayed on course perhaps I’d finish off 75% of the list, which would have been amazing. Right after lunch my husband calls me to tell me he’s ‘sick as a dog’ and is on the way home. Ever since he got home I’ve had my nurses cap back on (he makes a really taxing sick guy) and somehow that Tide post came just as the right time for me. Thank you!

Ali I have to hand it to you for being such a good friend. I would have suggested my friend check out the specials on eBay or just settle for the first thing that fit. Might explain why nobody ever invites me to shop with them (including my own dd). I like those kind of thunderstorms but they are frightening. Glad to hear you’re all right. Once we had a home hit by lightening & it took out all things electrical inside. You mentioned Starbucks, now I want coffee again. Darn.

The challenge post…. Oh boy. Let me find something that at least looks like coffee then I’ll be off to update that as well.

Gayle I remember those lizards from living in Austin & San Antonio. I hate them! Yeah, I know, they’re harmless but still it’s a reptile… in your bed! I’m so sorry. You would have found me sleeping on the porch, no…. there’s more out there. Guess I’d been sleeping in the car. I’m not the creature catcher, admire those who are. Once when my son was small I cleaned out his jean pockets for the laundry & pulled a handful of live garden snakes out. I’ve not been the same since.

LindaD isn’t that the truth? We dig up a picture of ourselves from somewhere in the past & it looks pretty darned good. At the time of the pic we feel pretty darned repulsive. Very telling about our self perception.. I wonder if we’ll ever be cured? Congratulations on the 5# loss!

Lyn you’re firmly in ONEDERLAND! Congratulations! What a wonderful story about stopping by to the theater in your motorcycle gear! Glad you guys got home safely.

Lori happy anniversary! 30 years is a long time but with the right person it’s not enough.

Paula we’re still thinking of you. My parents have been gone for years but the love goes on. I like to do things that honor their memories. My thoughts are with you.

Meowee-Linda I should have said something before but I love hearing about your cats. We’ve been managed by three of them over here & wouldn’t trade them (or the Pomeranians) for anything. Don’t discount the power of diet & exercise with diabetes. My husband had to go on insulin in Boston (he’s been a type 2 for 10 years) and went right back off of it after he dropped 50 pounds. Bless him. He limits his calories to 3000 a day and drops 50 pounds in 7 months. I limit mine to 1200 and drop a dress size. Where’s that Tide again?

Lynn thanks for the article on Sat Fats. From the information I’ve seen they’re downright deadly. I saw the last hour of Biggest Loser last night & saw what you were talking about with the 62 yr old. It’s around here somewhere…. I’ll look for the link from Time magazine…. I think this is the one http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...627013,00.html that describes some of the dehydrating approaches the contestants used to show massive weight losses. I would be very concerned about someone 62 dehydrating to stay in the game. For the longest time I tried to duplicate the success I saw on television until it occurred to me that what they’re doing isn’t realistic, or long term. Now I’m happy with my pound or so here & there.

Uh oh…. I’m being besieged by hungry cats & I think I hear my patient calling from the other room. Might need to go pick up more cat chow & Tide.

Everyone have a wonderful evening!

Marylynn
  • Quote:
    Cat – Why is it everytime I read one of your posts I suddenly want decent coffee? It’s no secret that I’m a caffeine addict but since your mention of cold brew coffee, it’s stuck in my mind.
    Marylynn

Well, then Girl, you are just going to have to order a Toddy for yourself. I'm telling you, it is the best most decadant treat ever...and really filling if you make iced coffee out of it. I have an iced coffee every day when I get home from school before starting job part deaux. I fill a glass with either low or skim milk, then pour some of the concentrate in it. Splenda has new flavored stuff and I like to put vanilla in it or vanilla or chocolate stevia drops. It is not like that thin "american" watery stuff..it's like a glass of rich heaven. If you order it from French Market Coffee's site, they send it with French Market Coffee. FM is really great (it's what my parents always drank), but I prefer CDM coffee (Cafe Du Monde) with chicory. I've been seeing and reading where if you add more milk to your diet, it will help with loosing weight. I know that since I've gotten in the routine of drinking this treat, I do seem to have lost more.

I have a client who has become a very very close friend. We have been working together for about 5 years...she is in Oregon. I sent her some CDM with chicory a couple of years ago and she now refuses to drink anything else. She says all the other stuff is like drinking muddy water now. To me, the stuff at Starbucks etc doesn't hold a candle to it. I guess I'm a CDM snob!

Ok, funny coffee story. The morning after Katrina I realized uh oh, no coffee because no electricty. I had a housefull of serious coffee drinkers (most of my husband's family) I have a gas stove, so I started boiling water and trying to figure out how I would make coffee. Then I spied my Grandmother's old porcelin drip coffee pot. I have it for "decoration" in my kitchen. I had never used one before, but I know you are supposed to add water to it one tablespoon at a time. Yeah, right..that would take hours. So I put coffee in the top part of it and started pouring the boiling water over it. Of course tons of grounds went down into the bottom part of it cause the holes are so big at the top part..guess that's why you are supposed to do it slowly. My brother in law LOVES to pick on me and I adore him and pick right back. So, he starts drinking his coffee and says "What the h*ll is this at the bottom? This is the crunchiest coffee I've ever had!" I told him "shut up and eat it...that's your breakfast!!" He came back a little later and said "Hey, got any more of that cowboy coffee?". He has teased me about it ever since then. A couple of months later when we were able to get into my aunt's house to clean it out and salvage what we could, I came across a smaller drip pot. My aunt asked me if I wanted it. It had been my Great Grandmother's pot. It was a little rusty around the edges of the porcelein having floated in water for 2 weeks, but I have it proudly displayed next to my Grandmother's pot.

I finally got really good at making that cowboy coffee over the next 6 weeks. I would go into the kitchen with a flashlight in the horrid heat every morning and put a filter in the top part of the pot and pour a little more slowly and wait, then pour more and wait. In between pourings, I would put our clothes from the day before (PU) into the sink to wash and then go hang them outside on pvc pipe we propped up between 2 ladders. I found that ladders make great "solar" clothes driers...by the time I got finished with that we had coffee! It was like little house on the prairie...uh, little house on the bayou with helicopters flying over endlessly.

Pictures of my precious little coffee pot here
  • Good Morning Everyone,

I need to return to the "eating something every 3 hours" strategy & to "drinking more water." Whenever I forget about those, I seem to plateau.

Today, I'm off to the Jersey shore with my friend to walk the boardwalk. My online class began yesterday - everyone seems very nice - this is their last course for their Master's degree.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
  • Hope this one takes.
    the top sounds like my childhood... how about you?

A little house with three bedrooms and one car on the street,
    A mower that you had to push to make the grass look neat.

In the kitchen on the wall we only had one phone, And no

need for recording things, someone was always home.

We only had a living room where we would congregate,

Unless it was at mealtime in the kitchen where we ate.

We had no need for family rooms or extra rooms to dine,

When meeting as a family those two rooms would work
    out fine.

We only had one TV set, and channels maybe two, But
    always there was one of them with something worth
    the view.
    For snacks we had potato chips that tasted like a chip,
    And if you wanted flavor there was Lipton's onion dip.

Store-bought snacks were rare because my mother liked

to cook, And nothing can compare to snacks in Betty
    Crocker's book.

Weekends were for family trips or staying home to play,

We all did things together -- even go to church to pray.

When we did our weekend trips depending on the weather,

No one stayed at home because we liked to be together.

Sometimes we would separate to do things on our own,

But we knew where the others were without our own
    cell phone.
    Then there were the movies with your favorite movie star,
    And nothing can compare to watching movies in your car.

Then there were the picnics at the peak of summer season,

Pack a lunch and find some trees and never need a reason.

Get a baseball game together with all the friends you know,

Have real action playing ball -- and no game video.

Remember when the doctor used to be the family friend,

And didn't need insurance or a lawyer to defend?

The way that he took care of you or what he had to do,

Because he took an oath and strived to do the best for
    you.
    Remember going to the store and shopping casually, And
    when you went to pay for it you used your own money?

Nothing that you had to swipe or punch in some amount,

Remember when the cashier person had to really count?

The milkman used to go from door to door, And it was just

a few cents more than going to the store.

There was a time when mailed letters came right to your

door, Without a lot of junk mail ads sent out by every
    store.
    The mailman knew each house by name and knew where it
    was sent; There were not loads of mail addressed to
    "present occupant."

There was a time when just one glance was all that it

would take, And you would know the kind of car, the
    model and the make.

They didn't look like turtles trying to squeeze out every

mile; They were streamlined, white walls, fins, and
    really had some style.

One time the music that you played whenever you would

jive, Was from a vinyl, big-holed record called a forty-five.

The record player had a post to keep them all in line, And

then the records would drop down and play one at a time.

Oh sure, we had our problems then, just like we do today,

And always we were striving, trying for a better way.
    Oh, the simple life we lived still seems like so much fun,
    How can you explain a game, just kick the can and run?

And why would boys put baseball cards between bicycle

spokes.

And for a nickel red machines had little bottled
    Cokes?
    This life seemed so much easier and slower in some ways,
    I love the new technology but I sure miss those days.
    So time moves on and so do we, and nothing stays the same,
    But I sure love to reminisce and walk down memory lane.

How old is grandpa?................Read on..............

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
    The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute,

I was born before:
    '
    television
    '
    penicillin
    '
    polio shots
    '
    frozen foods
    '
    Xerox
    '
    contact lenses
    '
    Frisbees and
    '
    the pill

There w
    ere no:

'
    credit cards
    '
    laser beams or
    '
    ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

'
    pantyhose
    '
    air conditioners
    '
    dishwashers
    '
    clothes dryers
    '
    and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
    '
    man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.
    Every family had a father and a mother.
    Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
    And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
    We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
    Our lives were governed by the T en Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
    We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
    Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
    We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
    Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
    Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
    Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
    We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
    And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
    If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk
    The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
    Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
    We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
    Ice-crea m cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
    And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
    You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one?
    Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

'
    "grass" was mowed,
    '
    "coke" was a cold drink,
    '
    "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
    '
    "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
    '
    "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
    '
    " chip" meant a piece of wood,
    '
    "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
    '
    "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am? I bet you have this very old man in mind...you are in for a shock!
    Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.
    Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 60 years old!

• Happy Birthday, Cat!!
    It's your Day..Hooray!! Celebrate Away, girl!!:
  • Cat....