International Space Station

• The coolest thing. I went to the planetarium in Rochester last weekend and they gave out pamphlets on when to watch for the ISS to pass over at night. I saw it two nights ago and watched it pass through the Big Dipper, then become very bright...brighter than a star in the sky...and pass over head at just the time the pamphlet said it would. Then tonight, they said the Space Shuttle was detaching and coming to Earth and I looked for it tonight and there were TWO of the same entities going across the sky at the same pace. Then the one that I assumed to be the SS flared bright for a second....I assume a rocket boost...and they both travelled off to the horizon together. We'll only be able to see the ISS pass overhead this summer for a couple more nights and then its orbit takes it over the horizon...but if you want to look to see where it is passing over your city, go to:

http://heavens-above.com

you can log in after you sign up and put in your town or city and click on ISS ten-day predictions and it will tell you if it will be passing over your coordinates any time in the next ten days. Really cool. If you like star watching/gazing, this is a truly awesome sight.

Kris
  • That's pretty cool! (Gosh, I haven't been to the planetarium in Rochester in AGES!)

I love looking at the stars and planets! Thanks for the link!
  • Okay...look in the sky tonight at 9:00 (exactly or you'll miss it). Look for the big dipper and the ISS should pass just to the west of the big dipper and the go right over your head. It starts out looking like a dim, yellow star, but then brightens as it goes overhead. Really cool. Hope you catch it.

I love the planetarium. We used to go there for field trips every single year in elementary school. My son, who is six (my avatar) is a total space junky, so I had a mission this year to get him to the planetarium. It's such a cool place. They have a lot of hands-on stuff there now that wasn't there when I was there last. Stuff to do while you wait for the show to start. Next time you go to Buffalo, you should take a trip there!!

Kris
  • Alright!!

I usually fly into Rochester since my immediate family lives in that area still. I have family and friends all the way along 104 and 31 from Rochester to Buffalo...

I used to go the the Rochester Planetarium when I was in grade school for field trips as well. So glad they're still there and inspiring people to "look up"!
  • I jsut looked and saw it again just as it was passing Jupiter in the sky and the space shuttle is still trailing it! So cool. Did anyone else see it?
  • It's too cloudy here tonight! bummer, that would have been cool to check out with the kids!