40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 29 of 81
Go to
  • All the snow is out of the drive. One of the younger guys next door came over and used the snow blower while I finshed up with the shovel. Roads are very clear so no worry there. Will have to check the roads in the morning to see if I let the kids go to school or not. Should be ok but who knows. We are suppose to get 3 to 4 more inches they say. Watch, we won't even get a little tiny bit lol.

Slash
    Sorry your daughter didn't make the team. Very hard on kids when they work very hard for something and it doesn't pan out.
  • Diane, I know it hurts and may even make you angry that she didn't make it. I wish sports weren't so competitive at such young ages. The positive spin I'd like to put on it for you is how much time you and she spent together practicing. It had to have brought you closer. I'm sure while you were together she shared tid bits you wouldn't have heard otherwise and she learned how much you care about what's important to her. This too shall pass and you'll be closer because of the experience. My heart goes out to her.
    Rennie, Shoveling is great exercise. Not one I would choose though lol thankfully a neighbor was nice and helped out
    My yesterday was pretty boring, but today will make up for it. I managed 5 miles on the TM, but they were pretty relaxed. No pushing just plodding lol Today I get to go on deliveries with the hubby which always ends in shopping and usually lunch out. Youngest son has a dentist appt, oldest has practice, youngest daughter has dance, and all 3 of us girls have choir practice tonight. Topping it all off......they're calling for more snow starting later this afternoon. We've allready had 14.6" That's plenty for Dec Enough already!!
    Have a great day!
  • Diane,
    Sorry to hear about your daughter-you're right, this too shall pass. She'll get 'em next time.

Checking in to live vicariously thru everyone's snow adventures. Thank you ladies. "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas......."
  • lovn
    I have a pretty easy day. Son has doc appointment so I can finaly do my weigh in today. We have choir and bell practice again tonight. House work is done, going to make the kids clean their rooms. They don't like me to clean them. This is how I clean. I pick something up. I say to myself, do I use this, will I ever use this? If the answer is no I throw it away lol. I tossed out a game cube one time that I found in the middle of the floor. lol
  • Rennie, you clean like I do. I am very much into having no clutter. It hasn't always worked out for my kids when I do that! Ha! I always tell them that it must not mean much to them if they leave whatever it is on the floor.

Well, we're making it past the disappointment of not making the competitive volleyball team. We talked about it last night and she still wants to play, so we'll still be working on it year round. I told her that I know that she can make the school team and we'll just keep working on that. Many girls don't work on it year round, so I'm hoping that this gives her an edge. Honestly, the team she tried out for is VERY competitive. They took 20 girls, but there were 35 that tried out. She knows she gave her all and did the best that she could, so that's good. She is on the list to play on the team if one of the other girls decides that they can't fulfill the requirements. But, we're moving on. And, Lovn, I totally agree with you about how beneficial this has been with our relationship. It is just nice getting out there and having some fun. And, we're still working on basketball with my son, so we'll still be making the trip out to the park... at least as long as the weather holds!

Sounds like the midwest is getting hammered! We might be getting into some this weekend and into next week. They are showing that the temps will really drop next week, too. Darn! I guess it needs to happen, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Janny, it's too bad Lovn and Rennie can't send some snow your way! Ha!
  • Slash
    I don't have enough to send to anyone yet. Only have about 4 inches or so. Give me a couple more months and I will have tons to send to anyone that wants it lol. My daughter does choir and tennis and drama. She didn't make it for play this year. We were very surprised. It was a let down for her but that is life. Just makes her understand sometimes that is how life goes.

There are times I hate to clean. I clean you all dirty up lol. Most of the time I enjoy cleaning the house. I have a sense of accomplishment. I love a clean house lol.
  • Jan, If UPS would send it for free you could have all you want. We've got 14 + inches allready. I actually have piles 9 ft high all around the property already. There's more headed our way tonight and Sat n Sun. Record temps already too. It's pretty hard getting me to buy the global warming story today lol
    I ate alot at the Chinese buffet today. It was all so yummy. Heading to the TM soon. I have 3 miles planned, but maybe I should trudge an extra one for the fried egg roll and stuffed clam that you know are both fat filled. Anyway, back to healthy now until probably next Thurs when I go with hubby again ; )
  • lovn
    Have wondered about that global warming myself when it is 20 out lol. Maybe we don't have global warming in our towns lol.
  • I saw on the news that they wanted 3000 people to help shovel out Lambeau Field-Home of the Best Team EVER!! I almost got on a plane!! I grew up in Wisconsin so I know what a snow storm is.
    Ok-you are all invited to my house where you will see Christmas lights on a cactus and cotton snow around the front door. (pitiful, just pitiful).
    Anyway-I hope the holiday season is good to all of you and your families.
    May your treats be few and your calories fewer!!!
  • Hi everyone.
    Well, today I'm up to 44. The great news is that I weigh less than I did when I hit 43.
    Nothing big going on today. I took the day off to do a few Christmas things and to just relax a bit. I've done well with the relaxing!!! Haven't gotten too much done!
    I can't believe the rain we had overnight. We have puddles everywhere. The snow is up in the mountains, but too warm here to snow, we just have a bunch of rain.
  • Janny
    That is funny. My kids sister and brother live in florida. They said they hate seeing trees with leaves with lights lol.
  • Boy was I miserable yesterday. I awoke with a fever and headache. My tummy was in a state that I knew I'd be ok if I didn't put anything sloshy in!! I do not like living on oyster crackers and coca-cola, but they settled my tummy enough to get some ibuprofin down and by 2 o'clock I was feeling much better. Sadly, I had to cancell my much needed "before Christmas hair cut," but I was able to meet with the school's math teachers and guidance councellor. My two oldest children really excell in math. My son actually won The Knights of Columbus math challenge in the state of WI, for 5th grade last year anyhoo, daughter is in 8th grade, but is being bumped up into Core 1 math with the freshman. I had so many questions about pushing her and what the benefits would be for her. Ultimately I left the desicion up to her and she chose to go up. We shall see. She has 14 weeks of work to catch up. Send good study vibes her way.
    Jan, It's amzing how many people volunteer to shovel Lambeau out. The kids always get a kick out of watching the snow slide down the ramps on the news. We're huge fans in this house, but unless there's some kind of FREE tickets involved I think people's time would be better spent shoveling out an elderly neighbor : ) But I can have that attitude since I live 2 1/2 hours away. If closer I'm sure I'd be there whoopin it up with all the other crazies lol
    Rennie, Have a great day
    Liz n Candle, Hi hope all is good!
    Diane, Happy Birthday to YOU!! Happy Birthday to YOU!! I'm glad you were able to get some relaxing in. Are you a gift giving family? Did hubby go to Jarreds and get something wonderful just for you? I sincerely hope YOUR day was all you hoped it would be.
    I have 3 w/ basketball practice this morning. Then I'm taking my youngest son and 3 of his buddies swimming at a Motel and then to McD's to eat. His b-day is right around Thanksgiving so he never gets a proper party with his friends so, we're making up for that today. We're suppose to get ANOTHER 4-6" of snow today. Hopefully it stays away until 4 or 5pm like they're predicting. We had to cancell the swimming last week because of snow and ice. The Cub Scouts are suppose to be caroling tomorrow, but we have weather advisaries for tomorrow as well!!!!! We shall see.
    Have a great weekend all!
  • Well, everthing is pretty much back to normal now. Sure glad this weekend is over. Here is to a great week and smaller pants.
  • I had a blast Christmas caroling with the Cub Scouts on Sun. The elderly we visited were really receptive. They and the boys had a great time. The band and choir concert at school was last night. Oldest daughter had a small solo part, (many of the students did) in the junior high choir, she nailed it and I was proud. Youngest daughter was part of a clarinet trio with the band teacher. It started as a quartet, but one little girl broke her arm. She waved her bright pink cast to the audiance to show why she wasn't participating. Sad, but cute. Oldest son was the percussion soloist for "The Little Drummer Boy." That's what's great about small towns. With a little natural talent and some hard work and determination a kid can have great school year memories, but my children do work hard. I think they would succeed and will succeed most anywhere. I myself took a 6 mile walk in the snow yesterday. It took me almost 2 hrs, because I wore snowmobile boots. If I go again today I'll only wear hikers. It's not that cold, but it IS snowing again. Geesh! Can anyone say, "record snowfalls?"
    Hope all's well with everyone. You must be getting more Christmas stuff done than me : )
  • lovn
    So glad you had a wonderful time. I love living in a small town too. Had two dozen kids here last night practicing for Christmas carol time ( this weekend ). We still go door to door and sing. Walk up one side of the road and then down the other and go to any house that has a porch light on. Takes about 3 hours at a time lol. We will do this every weekend until we hit all the houses lol.