40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 28 of 81
Go to
  • Liz
    Doesn't sound like you are eating enough to keep my dwarf hamster Jack alive.
  • Rennie, you crack me up. Although, those dwarf hamsters can be quite the eaters, can't they?!! Ha!

Liz, I'm no expert, but I think the same thing as Rennie, that you aren't getting enough. I just wonder if you had some snacks throughout the day that you'd keep your metabolism up. But, again... I'm not the expert.

Lovn - Good job on the weight loss! That's awesome! I lost a pound last week. Not much, but I was just glad to see that my scale could actually show something lower than what it had been showing for the past 3 weeks!

As for my daughter's volleyball, the tryouts went well... I think. We won't find out anything until tomorrow night. So, we'll be on pins and needles until then. She did everything she could do, though. I was so proud of her effort. The only problem now is that there were a lot of girls that tried out. She has a lot of competition and they don't have any more coaches, so they can't add any more teams. So, on the one hand, I saw some amazing effort from her and she had some great moments and really played "up" to the level of her competition. But, there are probably 30-35 girls that tried out at her age level and they probably only have room for 20-24, depending on how many they have on each team. We'll all be able to breathe after tomorrow night. I'm sure that you can understand, though, how I feel through this. I know that if she doesn't make the team, it won't be the end of the world. She can always attend camps and go out for the school team. And, I know that we will keep working on it. But, I saw her work so hard and she really played her heart out. I sat there hoping that the coaches could see how much she has improved from last year and how hard she had worked. It just makes my heart ache. My husband is much better at taking a matter-of-fact view of it, but I get way too emotionally involved. Just love those kids of mine and I want them to be happy!

One of the companies that we work with sent gourmet cookies as a Christmas gift. So far, I've ignored them. I'm hoping that my co-workers will get rid of them for me!!!
  • Diane, I've said a prayer and crossed fingers and toes. I know how you're feeling. Great job on the weight loss too!!!
    Liz, I have to agree with Diane and Rennie. It sounds like you have too little going in. Upping your calories sounds like a scary thing, but sometimes it just what the ole metabloism needs to get a boost. Of course I'm not suggesting a hot fudge sundae w/ pecans and caramel, but a nice sweet potato and lean protein for lunch. I know I do better overall when my brkfst includes proein too. Keep trying it will click.
    My housework isn't quite caught up, but my 3 miles are done. Woo hoo!
  • Slash
    Do you know they keep food in their cheeks lol
  • Today should be relaxed enough that I can enjoy a nice long bubble bath. I have a new book I plan to start. I'll just keep adding hot water if it turns out to be a page turner. My son has a basketball game tonight just 5 miles away, but I may actually skip it and stay home with my 8 yr old. He doesn't always like going now that the boys always play two games on the same night. I'm not sure though...it's very hard for me to miss...and it is the only game he has this week...hmmmm...we do need to slow down a bit, but it is only one night. I'll decide for positive right before my husband leaves.
    We're suppose to get more snow today. Everything is so pretty. My problem, I'm craving ginger bread. Those cute little men and women with their icing ruffles and belt buckles....
    My youngest daughter is in a Gifted and Talented Performing Arts contest today. Just local, but if she would win she would move on...she's wearing and angel costume and telling part of the play "The Best Place to Celebrate Christmas" then she's singing one of the songs from the play. She had the role at our church last year and did so well she was asked to sing it again on Christmas Eve so, she's a winner no matter what the teacher and judges decide today.
    Foods been good and exercise even better.
    Have a great day everyone!
  • lovn
    Sounds like you have a wonderful day ahead of you. I have to check out my ginger bread recipe and see what is in it. See how many I can eat lol. My 20 year old loves it made into men. Come on it doesn't taste any different just made into a cake but he specifically asked if I was going to make Ginger bread MEN lol.

Just enough snow on the ground here to want more. Grass isn't even covered. I hate this kind of cover, want a blanket of snow. I think it is lovely to look at. Nothing planned here again today. Basic Tuesday house cleaning and then getting the colored lights on the tree. Think I might go to the library and get a few books.
  • Well, had a good start to the day. I figured it would be a anxious day waiting to hear back on the volleyball tryouts, so I had a nice talk with myself and felt much better. My daughter had an orthodontist appt today and she needed a follow up vaccination, so I thought we'd swing by the doc's office and get the shot, then head to the ortho. She hates getting shots and was not happy about getting one. I basically told her that she needed to get over it... it is just a shot... quit being such a baby. So, she got the shot and we walked out to check out. We're standing there, she gasps and I looked over just as she started weaving. I grabbed her before she hit the ground, but she fainted!! OMG!!!! I called for help and about 6 doctors came over to help. We had to stay there awhile to make sure she was ok. Then they checked her blood pressure and everything and we were able to go. That was so STRANGE!!! I don't know if she had a reaction to the shot itself, or if she was just so worked up that she passed out. Freaked me out for awhile. She's fine now, but that was interesting. But, I made fun of her all the way back to her school... so we're back to normal.

No snow here. Glad for that!!! I guess the mountains might get some over the next couple of days, but we're supposed to stay dry until Saturday and then it might rain.

Lovn: Good luck to your daughter! That sounds like a good time. And for your son's game, I would hate missing it. But I know how it can be for the siblings. Not always so much fun!

Rennie: I like the men, too..... gingerbread, that is!

Liz: How are you doing today??
  • Slash
    Sorry to hear about your daughter. I think they should have little molds so we can have ginger chip n dale dancers
  • Rennie, You crack me up. You know, I bet if you googled Chip n Dale + ginger bread molds somebody out there sells them lol
    Diane, Freaky. It totally sounds like she got herself really worked up. Kids don't always show it, but she's probably really stressed waiting for the VB results and then having to get a shot on top of it. During FB my son broke out in the biggest ugliest hives I've ever seen. At the time he was playing FB and soccer at the same time, taking extra band lessons for All State Honors Band, went to Boy Scout camp and had a Boy Scout board of review to up his level. All while maintaining straight A's. Of course the hives came and went over a Sat and Sun and never slowed him down a notch. The Dr found no cause. Mom suspects too-much-itis, but it'd be harder on him to slow down. He's just naturally an overachiever. He's always so laid back. I think his body just had to release tention anyway it could. It's probably best that you teased her and put everything "back to normal" rather than flipping out. It'll be comforting to her that you're "not worried."
    Candle, How are you girl? Doing ok I hope. You too, Liz
    Unfortunately my daughter didn't win. She performs alot outside of school so it's really no big deal. Judging can be iffy when you're in such a small school. 400 students total from pre-K through 12th. It just would have been nice if someone other than the boy who won the Science Fair and the Heritage Fair hadn't won the Performing Arts by giving a reporton second hand smoke. Maybe I don't understand "Performing Arts." She had alot of fun and I was very proud of her. It's snowing buckets again here and my son's BB game is still on for tonight. One team isn't going to be there though so we could be home by 6:30 if we didn't stay to watch the 8th grade. So, guess who's probably going? If the vans going in the ditch we may as well all be in it. Right? lol
  • lovn
    I didn't find any. Oh my gosh that would have been so great for the adults christmas gift exchange lol.
  • Hey, I am still here and doing great. I lost another lb last week that is 5 in total and my energy level is up. That is the best part it.
  • Candle
    That is great. You will find with each lb off you gain more and more energy.
  • Candle, Woo hoo another lb lost forever. I think the new found energy is the very best part of losing weight. Keep it up!!!
    Well, it's a sad day here in the frozen midwest. My son's game was not cancelled last night even though our entire area was under a winter advisory. Very snowy indeed. My hubby wanted to make a stand and not take our son to the game, because of the dangerous roads. I of course opted to take him. I couldn't drive faster than 30mph, but we made it there and back. My son was the teams high scorer and we won by 3 points in overtime. Clearly the best game he'd played all season and the hardest won battle for the team as well. Hubby went to bed right after listening to son's retelling and has said maybe 10 words to me. He does like to wear the pants and normally I let him. At least he stayed interested and talked in a good way with our son. He's clearing the driveway now and this too shall clear...thanks for listening.
  • Well, 3 or 4 inches of snow in the drive this morning so I have started to shovel. Shovel for an hour take a break shovel for an hour take a break so on and so on lol.
  • Just a quick note today. I had a class today, so I was away from the computer. Last night wasn't so good because we found out that my daughter didn't make the team. Only 20 girls made it, and that left 15 that didn't. So, it was very competitive. She's disappointed, but this too shall pass....

Lovn: Honestly, I think you did the right thing with your son. I am sorry hubby took it badly, but as I said before... this too shall pass. Sometimes you have to do what YOU think is right!! Hang in there.