40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 24 of 81
Go to
  • Back in touch...
    Hello Ladies!
    I have been out of the loop so to speak taking care of the horses. I'm so thrilled to read through the responses that my "exercise ball " moves have created such a stir! Not that it is all that difficult to get a man aroused but a bit of variety is always good.
    I haven't been working out to much as of late due to the hours I have been keeping at the other farm, it's killing me...lol. I have seen all the horse S@#t I can stand. I love to ride and clean up a bit , but this is a lot with 4 horses.
    I have however been diligently attending yoga...ommmmmmmm...I get a tremendous amount of healing spirit form it. The Guru/yogi master is a meir 27 years old ( looks a lot like Jesus) and has the wisdom of the ancients. The peace I draw from that class is wonderful not to mention I feel as if I have been shaken out by the leg after class.Wonderful for balance, posture, toning and strength. I recommend it highly!
    Hope all had a good Thanksgiving, mine is a whole other response another day.
    Liz
  • Lizzy
    Nice to hear from you. Sorry you have been busy but it seems you are taking time for yourself too. Glad you enjoy the yoga. I like horses in a field to look at lol. Yes, after Christmas we are going to get me the exercise ball video and a ball. He can laugh while I try to stay balanced on the thing lol.
  • Inspiration..
    Rennie ,

How did you lose all your weight so far? I need a lift!

Liz
  • Lizzy
    It has been pretty simple for me and I have to say pretty easy. I eat what I want when I want just stay inside some very basic ranges. I get all the required amounts of the four basic food groups in. Doesn't leave a lot of room for junk lol. I do make sure I get a can of mountain dew a week.

Calories 1200 to 1400
    Fat 30 grams to 35 grams
    Carbs 180 grams to 210 grams
    Not to say that I don't have days that calories aren't under that lower amount and some days that calories aren't over the upper limit either. Fit day shows every week and every 2 weeks everything is in range so that is good enough for me.
    I really think the reason I stick with it is because so far I have lost every time I go in for a weight in, I don't do without anything and I have changed how I eat and it doesn't seem like a diet to me. Just seems like a way of life now.
  • Fit Day.....
    Rennie,

What is "Fit day" what is this program?
  • Good Morning all, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. There were 15 of us and everything went really well. Table was beautiful, food was delicious, wine tasty, conversation flowing. I opted for dinner after the football game setting the time a little later than norm, but it made for a much more relaxing day for me. I think DH and FIL would have prefered the traditional "half time" meal, but they can make it next year then lol My SIL stayed for two days and that was really nice. She's 32, no children, no man, lives in MPLS, and works a high paced job in a hospital. Needless to say we don't have alot in common lifestyle wise, but it's been fun watching her grow up and become the wonderfully caring woman she is. All the same family were back yesterday for homemade noodles made in turkey broth. They turned out so yummy. My girls love to crank the noodle press so it was very little work for me. Except to not overeat them. I did pretty well for calories, but of course no exercise for two days. It's DS birthday today so another challenging food day and then Thanksgiving at my DS tomorrow. Really I'm just kind of holding on until Mon and my real life is back. Luckily, DS is way behind on his reading minutes for school so, he's made himself a bed on the dining room table and he's going to read to me while I get my hiney moving on the TM.

Rennie, Glad to hear your world's good. I'll bet your turkey was delish!

DK, 2# down allready is really terrific. You should be proud. Can you clarify for me. Are you 5'8" or 5' .8" I'm 5'2". I see I should probably add that to my stats as well!

Lizzy, Have great day!!
  • Hello everyone, I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving day!
    I'm glad to see it over , (whew all of that food.)
    I weigh in on Mondays, I am half afraid too, this next time. lol
  • Hi Veronica, I see you've lost 17#! That's really terrific. I know the weigh in after a holiday or special occasion can be frightening. No matter what it says just get back doing what you were doing before. That's obviously been working for you. A post holiday weigh so often is up only because we've eaten so much more salt than our bodies are used to. I've had 3 days of entertaining in a row and I feel so puffed up I'm actually uncomfortable. Drink lots of water today and get that ole salt out of you and Mon will probably be just fine....just keep on.
    One last "big" meal today at my DS. I'm so holidayed out from spending so much time with DH side of the family that I hardly even want to go today. I had a niece let me down yesterday and it's off coloring my mood. I know I need to let it go and I will. I've just never been one to put my own pleasure first that sometimes my nose gets really bent out of shape when others do. I know, that sounds holier than though, forgive me. My feelings are hurt.
    As for food yesterday I did ok considering it was DS b-day, but exercise was non existant and probably will be again today. I know I've allowed obligations to get out of whack when I'm hoping for days to be over, so I can live my "real life", rather than enjoying the moment I'm in. Maybe that's why my niece does the things she does!
    Have a great day all.
  • Hi everyone. Had a great thanksgiving, but probably ate too much. I tried using portion control, and I think it helped a little. I'm not too excited about Monday's weigh in, but so be it.

Not much going on. I'm taking today as a slacker day. I have entertained for the past 4 days, so now I can veg!!! (well, except for laundry...)

Have a great day!
  • Over Eating...
    I wish I could say over eating was my problem, then I would just eat less. My problem is that I don't have a very big appetite and I exercise alot and don't lose a pound! They say this is due to my complete Hysterectomy at 30 years of age. I was always thin until the Endometreosis really got sever and then the final result surgery I packed on 50 pounds in no time. It is a work in progress until death I suppose....

Love Mom ,May I ask what DH and DS are?

My joints are killing me I'm starting on "Bio-Flex" this evening, does anyone know anything about it?

Liz
  • new here
    I think DH is dear husband or darling husband, same for son, daughter, etc.

Flylady.net uses those terms. She's a big help for me to stay up with the work around the house, and her website encouraged me to start trying to reach my weightloss goal now rather than after the holidays.

Today is my first day here. I have exercised for two weeks, staying steady on the scale, and for the first time today, I have officially lost one pound. I am happy, in spite of how far I have to go. At least I have finally, fearfully or fearlessly, I'm not sure which, begun. I am happy to see that others are also just beginning.

I have seen so many changes in my body in the last year that it is frightening. 20 pounds in one year. Nothing fits. No sleeping. I finally admitted I needed to do things differently and quit my stressful job to do freelance/part time work and address whatever health challenges are facing me.

Good luck to you all.
  • New, forty-something, and need to lose!
    Hello Forty Friends:
    My name is Cathy and I am new to the scene. Hope you don't mind if I jump in. After reading through the postings, it seems we have so many things in common. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago and the weight just keeps coming. I wish I could get it to stop - I hope to gain some valuable insight into the suggestions you have as well as the encouragement you offer.
    Sincerely,
    Cathy
  • Cathy

We are always here to give support and encouragement. All of us know this journey we are making to a more healthy and fit person isn't always easy. Anytime you have a question don't be afraid to ask. We might have an answer lol. If you have a gem of advice to give, please let us know. All of us can use advice from time to time. Hope to see you posting a lot.

Looking
    Nice going on the lb. Hey look at it this way. That is one less lb to lose. I generally never lose more than 1lb a week. It is slow but it is worth it. By next Christmas I will be saying. Do you know last year this time I weighed about so and so, can you believe it.

Lizzy
    I have a problem of not eating enough. Poor tummy thinks the throat was slit and it is never going to be fed again. Turns everything into fat. Eat eat eat. That is the way to lose weight for people like us. Hubby has a bow flex. He loves it. I hurt myself anytime I try to use the thing so I just stay away from it lol. Weight problems because of medical conditions are a whole other ball game. I gained mine because of being sick for so many years and so many meds. It can make things difficult.

Slash
    Good luck on the weight in. Sit down, take your shoes off, relax I am lucky my weigh in was right before Thanksgiving lol. I don't have another one until 6th lol.

lovn
    I totally understand. Just let it go girl. Doesn't do us any good to harbor hard feelings. They get us no where and only thing we get out of them is a sour stomach. I made two of those darn turkeys in the last 3 days lol. I am tired of making turkeys.
  • Liz, I so feel for you. It must be much harder tackling a weight problem caused by a medical condition. My weight has always been up or down because of food in and little activity. Things I can fully control if I really try. Do you take hormone replacements then? Hang in there.
    DH = Dear Hubby; DS = Dear Son; SIL = sister-in-law etc.... I learned all those here back in 2003. I'm definitely not a hipster texter or anything lol
    Hi Diane, Hope you enjoyed your day of veg
    LOOKNG, Welcome. Hope you can gleen the advice and support you need here.
    Yesterday was my FINAL holiday meal unless you count the pot luck we're having for Cub Scouts tonight!!!!!!! What were we thinking when we planned that?????? I was pleasantly surprised this morning. My weight is exactly, to the tenth, as it was last Mon. Considering all the occasions in this past week I consider myself very lucky. I will definitely have time for the TM today. No less than 3 miles no matter what!!!!! I totally blew it at church yesterday. I'm so lucky I'm a long time congregant that's involved or I would have felt really bad or at least embarassed. First, my children and I arrived early to set up communion. There was a bottle of glass cleaner and a rag by the rail. Of course I removed it. During the children's sermon the VISITING pastor remarked how he had a "prop" here, but someone's removed. Luckily I sat very close to a side entrance and quickly slipped out and got it for him!!!!! Was pretty easy to figure out who had removed it in the first place!!! That's not all though, no that was minor. We always have coffee hour following church. Our youth group always provides the treats and does the serving etc.... Who's the youth leader? Me. Who's child was to do coffee hour yesterday? Mine....Luckily we've been signing up with a couple of new members helping them learn the ropes so.....there was coffee and treats for everyone, no thanks to us, I felt like such a fool. The other family was even gracious enough to let us get out of most of the clean up since we had a dinner to go to. I SOOOOOOO owe them. Well, at least I got my sc_ew up for this week out of the way early. I'll so totally be on top of my schedule the rest of the week for sure now.
    Have a great day!
  • lovn
    Have been there. I was helping with my daughters brownie troupe and I was suppose to bring the treats forgot all about it. Thank heavens I had just done the shopping and the stuff was still in the car for my daughters sleep over that night lol.