40-Something Chat Thread

You're on Page 14 of 81
Go to
  • Jo~when we built our house a couple of years ago, one neighbor complained because he worked the night shift and he didn't like having the workers there during the day--BUT we only had the workers there when the city allowed it so he really shouldn't have complained. Another neighbor complained because some of the construction trucks marred the newly surfaced road so we had to fix that, but that was no big deal. Yes, I think the workers should have cleaned up before they left! Yes, I think that it is right to expect work on weekends to start later (here it has to by 7 AM any day). We're in construction and we abide by the rules of the city we work in (otherwise we risk getting fined).
  • Hi Jo.

My middle daughter is learning to drive at the moment She has done the driver's ed and now needs to get her 50 hours in. She doesn't turn 16 until Oct 15th but she wants to get her license on her birthday. I've told her she will get it when I'm ready!! I seem to be the one going out with her for most of her driving and I am very uncomfortable doing it. I think that 16 is way too young to have a driver's license. When my oldest learned she waited and was almost 18 before she got hers. However middle daughter is doing OK I'm just not ready to hand her the keys yet.
  • I have a couple of more years before I have to face the driving issue. I do know that I will have to make the judgment based on if she is keeping her grades up and can show any level of maturity, because that is not coming through right now. She just doesn't take responsibility for her actions yet, so I hope that changes before she has her little hand reaching for the keys!!

I figured out that my 11 yr old son has a crush. This one girl was talking to me while my son was there and he just grinned and blushed. She's a cutie and she's in his class, so I put 2 and 2 together. He's just starting to notice girls right now. I hope he doesn't jump ahead too much!!
  • Gals, I have a 16 year old who is driving. Scary as all get out--let me tell ya!!! The worst part is that she graduates this year and will be leaving for college (she is almost 17). She's probably going somewhere in Southern California so driving will be even worse than it is around here. Lately she has taken to driving to the coast on the weekends with friends. Saturday it was Anaheim for a concert. Thank goodness she texts me when she is leaving so I can judge when she'll get home. Instinctively I wake up around the time she is due home and wait until I hear her come in. This weekend, she even came into our room to announce she was home. That is sweet.
  • Allison, I think it is good that you let her venture out like that. I know that we all want to continue to protect our kids as much as we possibly can, but they need ot learn how to do these things. It amazes me that in such a short amount of time, we'll be expecting them to go off to college and become adults. Spooky! So, I think it is good that you're giving her this time to learn and grow.
  • Clydegirl, I'm with you. I think 16 is way too young to drive. They have no sense of things, even the mature ones (my daughter is one of those). It doesn't matter to us what the law says about how old you have to be -- we wanted her to be 17 b/4 she got her license and , well, our law beats their law! She's doing well but she's only had her permit a few weeks. She's got a better feel for the car but has a very loooonnnngggg way to go. She needs to find the 'center of the road' for the car better. She's hugging those trees but close! My first car was a black 1966 Crysler New Yorker. It was my dad's then my oldest brother's. By the time I got it I think it was around 12 or 14 yrs old. A tank. It had a hood ornament -- ah, the good old days - and it was easy to know where the car was when driving. Just place that hoodie inbetween the yellow line and the white line and bingo, you're just centered in the road. Too bad they got rid of those things!

Jo
  • Hey all, it sure is quiet on this thread lately. I hope everyone is ok!!

Not much to say here. I just wanted to pop in and tell everyone to have a good weekend.
  • Hi! How's everyone doing this week end?

Fall has made her arrival! We had our first serious rain (with wind!) in No. California last night.

Friday while walking my dogs it was just a perfect Fall day! Crisp, clear, temperature maybe 75*. This is harvest time for the nut trees ... the birds and squirrels are busy gathering walnuts, almonds, you name it. And we saw a deer in a quiet wooded area where we walk!

Yesterday I treated myself to lunch & dinner of a turkey burger OMG, it was soooo good! Whole wheat bread, dijon mustard and tomato slices. Plus snacks of brown rice, pinto beans & salsa. Must buy fruit today.

Look forward to hearing from everyone! Let's chat!
  • Hi girls. Can't sleep so got up and decided to check what everyone was up to!!

I've got so much on my mind at the moment. I need to chill.

Ladiibug it's still warm here and I'm tired of it. We're still in the 80's all next week as well. It's supposed to be Autumn. I love Autumn ,my favourite season, all the lovely colours.

Hi Diane

We went shopping and let daughter drive. Oh boy that was a fun trip. She's not ready for her license yet and my brake in the back seat would not work
  • Hi Ladies!

Here's my report on last week - Sunday thru Sat.:

Food - Fit Day stats:

Ave. Daily Cal's: 1379

Ave. Daily Breakdown by Type of Cal:

Fat: 23% (Sat. 8gm / Poly 2gm / Mono 8 gm)
    Carb 53%
    Protein: 24%

I'm happy with last week's food stats! Better than the week before when I gave in to cravings and feasted on fried boneless chicken breast tenders ... for two dinners!! The cal and fat stats for that week were

Exercise:

Three days of walking

The last 2 of the 3 I officially increased my time from 45 minutes per walk to at least 60. One day I walked 70 minutes!

Wishing everyone a good week!
  • I was feeling a little bummed and thought of all the things that are not going quite the way I think they should... and then I thought about how negative thinking affects my eating habits. So I thought instead that I'd list the things that are going right.

I have a wonderful 11 y.o. daughter who is my pride and joy.

We acquired 2 cats this weekend ("temporarily"... yeah, right) bringing our feline family to three... so far there's no fur flying and the house appears to have been divided into three separate zones... lol.

I still have a job though I work in a field that has been affected tremendously by the current mortgage crisis.

I found 3FC and FitDay.

I know there's a WW ice cream thingie in the fridge that I can have now that I chose to concentrate on the positive.
  • Had one of those eye-opening weekends (totally NOT weight related, so don't think I'm going there). I took my two middle school kids to a "fall festival" on Friday night. They have entertainment, a carnival, vendors... you know the drill. Well, I remember when we would go and the kids would be ok with walking around with me. Well, that's no longer the case. I live in a fairly small town and everyone knows everyone else, but I really had trouble just letting the kids go off by themselves. There seemed to be a large concentration of middle school kids by the carnival and they were having a great time, so I let them go off to that area without me. It was "over-protective mother" ****. But, I made it through it and they had a great time. I was soooooo ready to go home after that, but I think I made progress in letting them spread their wings, if only just a little bit. It actually was a lot of fun (if I really admit it) to watch all of the kids having fun with all of their friends. I remember those days. But my mom never had to fret like we all do now, with the times we live in now. Anyway, thought I'd share that!

It was an incredibly busy weekend, but it was good. My house is still a pig sty and that didn't change much, but we had fun doing other stuff. My boy is in football and he had his first chance to kick an extra point at the game. It was good!!!!!!! How fun!

Other than that, I actually lost a little weight and I have to admit that I'm back down to my ticker weight, so I'm no longer living a lie! Ha!

Did everyone else have a good weekend? If you're a baseball fan, did you happen to see my Rockies?? Winning 13 of the last 14?? How fun to have a playoff game to get into the playoffs!!
  • Diane it's always hard to let go. Once they hit middle school they want that wee bit of independence from their parents. They will still need you for other things and will always come back.

Go Rockies that was some game last night the way they kept coming back and getting more runs. A fun game to watch. It's all over this season for the Redbirds
  • Hi everyone! I hope I have better luck in this room. Im afraid to even say anything now.
  • Quote: Hi everyone! I hope I have better luck in this room. Im afraid to even say anything now.
    Welcome Goldfish.

It's quiet in here just now but we're a chatty bunch.