Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #101

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • G'day all,

Nice to hear from you Slavika and pleased Patches seems to be getting the idea about house training. Some great emails you have been sending the last few days.
    Your question about dual flushing, in Australia it is law to have a dual flush on your toilet system. A half flush and a full flush. I will leave it to you to figure which you use when!
    I was surprised never to see any dual flush toilets in the US when you also do have some water shortage problems.

Ann the visit of Holly and Katie sounds like it was something you needed, how are you getting on with the Ipod? I found it to be a little tricky but once you get used to it, they are the best thing.

I cannot remember too many of the other posts but I did read them all

Glenda I hope you had a nice week off from work and had a good time in Galverston.

Who would have thought but I am very excited about my new washing machine (Kleenmaid)
    I took delivery yesterday afternoon and it is very fancy. Took us a while to work out what is what and how to program it but besides that it is great.
    I told the man who installed it that this would be my last washing machine in my lifetime, he said I hope not. I figured my last machine lasted 15 years and was a fraction of the cost of this one, so if this last me 30 years, I will be 92 by the time this one has had the gong.
    I don't think I will be too worried about a new machine at 92

I might just go and try out another cycle on my new washing machine
    A pity this novelty is going to wear off in a day or 2!

Cheers
    Maria
  • All, we had a great time at Galveston, of course. There were 14 of us all together. We went to Schlitterbaum, the beach, and Moody Gardens which has a lot of stuff, like an IMAX that was about the blue sea. It was all so much fun. Now we are all back and having that little letdown you always have after a great vacation. Where did the time go? I think I will send you some pictures, but you have to remember they were of us at the beach (me in my "skirtini")--not a pretty sight to behold. Maria has met the whole family. I might have to narrate some of them for the rest of you.

Ann, now tell me again how you got your kitchen redone? I need to use that method to redo mine. I have thought about painting cabinets, but just can't quite do it yet. What a huge job!

I am the least electronic on the board, with no computer at home even, so an IPOD is something that sounds hard to operate, but surely it isn't. We were with grandkids who can do absolutely anything electronic. What a generation!

All, I am so fat! Now you would think I could just fall into the mode of the WW thing, but so help me, I am hungry all the time. Does it take awhile to quit eating after a weeklong binge?

Slavika, yea for Patches! She is a big girl now!
    Glenda
  • Where does the tjme go? I can't believe that it is August already. It is in the 90's and hot and sunny. I have a new job of giving my mil her shower a few times a week at the happy home. I pray that she doesn't fall or slip - if she does we both go down. They charge an arm and a leg to shower her so this job fell to me. I was glad to see the dogs go home. We had Neil's dogs while they were in Florida. P loved the beach. Neil is going to New Mexico now with that ball team he is a trainer for. We will go out and get P occasionally to give his mom a break.
    Karen glad to hear that you are still painting. I was wondering. The shirts sound cool. Show uA one.
    Ann your kitchen sounds nice and crisp. I can imagine that you are happy that it is finished-even better that Phil likes it. Eat out now so you don't mess it up. LOL I don't have an Ipod-good for you for figureing out how it works.
    Glenda what fun you had on your vacation. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing. It is hard to get out of vacation mode.
    Maria you are too funny with that washing machine. It sounds like it does everything but sort the clothes.
    Slavika if you ever figure out the secret as to why it is easier to gain than lose clue me in. Patches is so cute. Our old dog liked to play the toilet paper game.
    Jenye you are doing well. Keep up the good work and you will be a new you.
    I went to the store this afternoon and loaded up on fruit and veggies. I wish they could make them taste like chocolate.
    Peggy
  • G'day all,

Glenda I think you are fishing for compliments, I thought you looked great in the photos and I wish I was as 'fat' as what you claim to be!
    I thought everyone looked great, you do have a couple of stunning looking d-i-l's.

Peggy what sorting of washing...it has a 'MIX' cycle and you are supposed to be able to wash everything together on that cycle! I cannot quite make myself wash very dark clothing with whites
    That is quite a commitment showering your m-i-l. I thought the retirement home she lived in was a little way from your place. You are a very kind person, don't know if I would have been as kind.
    Good luck to Neil going to New Mexico, he must be really pleased to be the trainer.

Heard on the news about a bridge collapsing in Minneapolis, funny how we take so much notice now. We did not actually go through Minneapolis but went very nearby, Stockholm is one of the little villages I remember and where we first saw the Mississippi River. They had some great art galleries and it was where I first saw a little cardinal bird when we were having lunch. We did however go across a lot of very similar bridges and it is hard to comprehend how this tragedy could have happened.

My computer problems continue and I am back using my old computer, Alan has my new one with VISTA.
    If any of you are thinking of getting a new computer, don't get VISTA until all the problems have been ironed out...it has been an absolute nightmare.

Hope everyone is well and happy,

Cheers
    Maria
  • Good Morning everybody: A few minutes before we are off to Curves and Phil's exercise place.

I am being very particular about not messing up the new kitchen. heehee.

Glenda: I agree with maria- I don't think you looked fat at all. Now if I sent you my pic right now, it would be a different story. And if someone could find the secret to keeping weight off without difficulty, they would make a fortune.

About the kitchen- get one of your grandchildren who is so inclined(mine was Katie and she took off all the cupboard doors, took them out on the car-port and painted them all 3 coats, while her mother and I worked inside. She even taped off the hinges so she wouldn't get paint on them. ) And then put them to work. I have 20 cupboard doors and it was intimidating to me, for sure. Maybe Leon would co-operate, if not a grandkid. I think maybe your grand children are a bit young for such a project, but maybe a dil since your baby sit for them - so there are a few ideas.

Maria: I have heard from others that Vista is full of headaches. Good luck. And I think i would be a bit frightened of putting all colors together in one load. We have some color grabbing sheets to put in the wash if you are fearful of color running, and I have used them and they do work very well.

Slavika: I have a mental picture of Patches running down the hallway with a stream of toilet paper following . funny to us, but not so to you, I am sure. I remember we had to put a paste of cayenne pepper and mustard on all of our steps that our puppy could chew on when she was teething. That is all that kept her away. We did have a few tooth marks before we hit on the solution.

Peggy: I know what you mean about being August already. Time is flying by. We had a completely rainy day yesterday without any thunder and lightning. It was a pleasure, since we need rain so badly. You are a Saint for taking on such a responsibility. It seems strange that there is an extra charge for that care in the place where your MIL is staying.

Karen: How is your DH? We are making progress here. I think we have to make a trip to Plant City sometime this month to check with Dr. Clayton. I'll have to check the calendar, and see just when.

Hi to everybody. Our ride is about to appear. There are 3 of us, plus Phil who go to exercise 3x a week and we take turns driving.

See you later. Ann

I do hope now to paint our entry hallway, as it is dark and a nice light colored paint would dress it up nicely.
  • My goodness, it is slow on the board lately. Missing Maria a little. She is a good poster. Well, summer has struck for us. It is hot and humid. Looking back on the flooding, I can almost.....no, can't even go there. Rain every single day sucks!

All, my hubby changed medicines a little over a year ago and it has changed his personality a bit. Remember when I was telling you about this? Well, seems to be getting worse at times--anxiety and grouchiness. I looked the medicine up on the internet and these are the side effects for some people. This is all they have for him, so we had to talk last night about learning to live with it. Always something new, huh?

Well, it is the dog days of summer. School starts in less than 2 weeks. When the university starts, life is just awful for about a week--students use our parking lots, new students looking lost, etc. Soon our lazy days will be over.

What is going on with you all?
  • Hi: We are hot, hot,hot,. but probably not as bad as some folks have it. The smimming pool is a great help.

I've started painting the hallway now. I have all the base coat done, and tomorrow after coming back from the dentist, I will start on the real painting. boy have I found muscles i forgot I have. it is going to blend in with the kitchen, since when we got the kitchen paint, we had planned to sponge paint another color over it, but we didn't like it, (it was too light colored) and so that is the color I am using for the hallway. A pale aquamarine from the same color palette as the kitchen
    And as the hallway leads right into the kitchen it should make a nice contrast.

We keep going to the exercise 3 times a week. And aside from this, things are pretty calm around here. i did buy some replacement plants, nice marigolds, to replace the plaants that didn't survive. I just haven't had time to put them in. We have rain at night, when it is the best time to set out plants.

I was happy to see the shuttle get off all right. with the two accidents with shuttles, it always gives me a tight feeling until they are off okay. And then it is the same when they are coming in to land. We can stand out in front of the house and see the glow in the sky as it lifts off.

Glenda- i can just imagine the confusion with new students. It is too bad that medications that are necessary can make such unpleasant side effects. This new B.P. medication I am on is making me gain weight. I read to see if it was me or a side effect. At least I am glad that I am not too much of a glutton. But it makes me mad to work so hard to lose, and then take a pill that makes me gain.

Time for bed. An early dentist appointment tomorrow.

Ann
  • Update
    Hi girls,

It seems like ages since I last posted and yet it is only a week. Since then I have lost another 1 KG. I was feeling rather down last week so all I did was play games on the computer.

It looks like you are having horrid weather over there, well keep your chins up it soon will be cold again and then we will have the heat. LOL.

I saw in the paper about that awful bridge collapse in Minneapolis and it broke my heart, it looks like we are safe nowhere we go. I am glad that the death toll was not as high as they predictated.

Well girls must go now. Love to you all.

Jenye.
  • G'day all,

It seems at times I have no time to scratch myself let alone come and post!

Sorry to hear about the change in medication having such negative side effects on Leon Glenda.
    The internet is just wonderful for investigating all the side effects some medication have. I wonder with some in-depth investigation of the different drugs, you could present that to your doctor and who knows there maybe other medications that do the same job without the side effects.
    No fun living with a cranky husband

We have had our moments, again it is with these contracts, we get urgent messages to see if Alan will go wherever and then we are left in limbo again. We are trying very hard to put it out of our minds.
    It seems the minute we do another phone call or email arrives to ask when
    Alan is available. It makes for a very unsettling life that we can definitely do without.

Yesterday I visited a customer who has just come back from Peru and she wants her photos fixed and then put on a dvd as a slide show. She is not very computer literate, hence I got the job but her photos are quite spectacular. It will be a very enjoyable job.

Our weather is lovely and sunny, 20 degrees but a bit windy.
    I cannot believe that a washing machine can make so much difference, thought a washing machine washes, a vacuum cleaner sucks but boy there is a huge difference. I have washed a few things that I was about to throw out that have come up like new, unbelievable.
    The windy sunny day is just perfect for washing.

Jenye sorry you have been feeling a bit down, loosing another kg is nothing to feel down about, well done!

Ann
    you are very good painting with the heat you are experiencing Your colour scheme sounds lovely. I agree with you regarding the shuttle, good to see it all went according to plan.

I have just had a call to say that my new computer is fixed and is being delivered in an hour. I sincerely hope it is fixed!

Hello to everyone else.....

Cheers
    Maria
  • I am melting. It has been almost a 100 degrees these past few days. I will have to remember this in the winter when I am freezing. We are having a drought and I am forever watering the flowers. I was here last Sunday and lost my post. Probably a good thing since I was complaining about our afternoon visit at the happy home with D's parents. Trust me, I didn't volunteer to give my mil a shower a few times a week. I was sort of put in the position of doing it. I am getting good at doing her hair. The other ladies there compliment her on it. Just lots of the old fashioned backcombing.
    Glenda the net is a good place to look up medicines. Have you talked to the dr to see if there is an alternative without those side effects? Enjoy the last few weeks before the campus gets crazy again. I hate to drive around the UC area when school starts. You are not fat.
    Maria can I send my laundry over to you??? That machine sounds amazing. Looking at the Peru pics, does that make you want to visit there? Is Alan still going to New Zealand?
    Ann your painting sounds pretty. You have let us see. I was holding my breath about the shuttle also. I can remember exactly where I was when the other one exploded.
    Jenye Keep up the good work. Take any loss you can get. Have you ever visited the pogo site for games? My friends love it.
    Guess I am going to have to go to the hospital tonight and see how my neighbor is doing. Her dog that I am watching is a big shedder. Lots of clumps of black hair. The dog is overweight and has trouble walking. Seems like the past 2 summers when it gets this hot she has these heart problems and ends up in the hospital. I wish she wouldn't be so hard headed and turn on the ac that the man on the other side of her bought for her.
    I have to laugh. Doug was given 2 tickets to the Reds game yesterday and passes to the ac Riverfront club. I was soooo happy to have my mammo scheduled for the afternoon so I didn't have to go. [It was a !00 degrees] He and a friend went. It cost $10 to park. The usher told them that there was a complimentary buffet in the club so they went up. After filling their plates they were told that it was $21 a piece. A beer was $6.75. So those free $14 tickets weren't so free after all.
    My dog must have thought he was a cat. He came in from outside, opened his mouth and gave me a dead bird. Oh joy-I had to figure out how to pick it up without touching it.
    Peggy
  • G'day all,

That sounds horrendous the heat you are having Peggy. I wonder what sort of summer we will have, it is beautiful, almost spring weather at the moment.
    We have those sort of free tickets! Hope the buffet was good!

My computer problems are going from bad to worse and are causing a lot of tension in an otherwise happy household

Our son had sold his investment property and he was thrilled with the price, it now turns out they were a mob of crooks and the sale has fallen through.

Haven't heard when Alan will be going to NZ, we are now also debating if he WILL go when we finally hear something. We will no doubt get another phone call and he will be wanted over there yesterday

For 5 minutes I did think a trip to South America would be great after seeing those pictures of Peru but reality has set in and for now pictures will do.

Alan is also a bit concerned about the dive the stockmarket has taken and how it has effected our investments. Alan is always a bit of a pessimist so I hope it has not hurt us too badly.

Not much other news from this end....hope you are all well

Cheers
    Maria
  • Hi all:
    I have been busy with my painting project in the hallway. I am about done, but I know I will have to give the doors a second coat. but with a roller that goes quickly. When I am all finished, I will try some pictures to send on to you. I am really happy with the way it has turned out. Just one down side - I have found muscles that I forgot I had. : I also discovered that I can manage to get paint on just about every part of me.

Got a call from Holly last night and she and Mike may be coming down on the 15th. But Mike's boss isn't sure he wants to let him come. Mike has vacation time coming and he will lose it if he doesn't use it. So I hope mike will just say I'm coming. I can't believe that they would fire him, cince he seems to be so indispensible. I think it is just a ploy to keep him there. So we'll see. Holly says she is coming anyway, since they already have the reservations.
    She'll be happy to see what her 'old' Mama has done.

Maria: I hope you get your computer problems straightened out. How frustrating. And all the questions about when Alan will go to NZ must be frustrating. Your new washing machine must be a miracle worker.

Jenye: Good for you with another loss. There is a Netives site that I like for games. Keep up the good work

Glenda: I concur with the others about the research for meds. There is so much information available out there that hopefully you can find some help. It must be frustrating for you and Leon both thinking that you have to live with the unpleasant side effects.

Peggy: It has been hot here too. 98 99, and 100 one day. but we just stay inside. And then I go to the pool late in the day. I have to water all the time, and I have lost some plants, when I forgot to water.

Slavika: I am wondering if Patches has managed another roll of toilet paper? and how is the 'potty training' progressing. It makes it so much easier, when they are housebroken, and you only have to take them out a few times a day. We finally got our dog to 4 times, sometimes 5 and she did well.

I got on the scales the other morning and was horrified to find I had gained once again. So- I am being really careful. I am wondering if taking the 2nd BP medication is making the difference.

My dentist trip proved interesting. I have to have a tooth extracted. It is not a candidate for a root canal. So in a couple of weeks I'll get the job done. Not looking forward to that.

Gloria: Are you hot up in Massachusetts?

Norma: How are things with you and family?

Bernice: Have you found the house you want?

Well back to work and then to the pool. Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.

Ann
  • Girls, I keep checking to see if anybody is posting and nobody has. I am sure it is the summer stuff keeping you busy. Good news about Slavika. I hope she gets home today.

It is hot here. Good and hot. Remember when it rained all the time and I didn't like it? I would like just a little of that back. Now we are looking like a regular August. Our lawn mower is being fixed and it is the best time because no yard is growing right now. Leon has gotten every single flower bed in a watering system now. Just takes turning on the faucet and they are all watered. Pretty nice. He loves doing projects. I don't know what he will do when he can't think of anything else.

I have a stinking summer cold. Miserable in any weather, but when it is 100 degrees out, it just seems so out of place. I hope you all are having good luck on your diet programs. I am doing somewhat better. McDonald's chocolate covered ice cream cones have been my downfall. I haven't had one in over a week. YEA! I think I am addicted. Has been hard.

Anne, hope you can send us pictures soon of your painting projects.

Maria, glad you are happy with your washer. Do you know yet when Alan will be going to NZ? And glad you are getting a new computer. You really had a dud, didn't you?

Trudy, who has been taking care of Patches?

Gloria, drink that water!

Peggy, stay cool. The university starts back next Monday. Kyle called me this morning. He took Austin for his first day of kindergarten and he asked me if it was hard leaving them for the first time. He was almost in tears. They have full day kindergarten now. We just had half days and it wasn't that hard.

Stay cool.
  • G'day all,

I am very happy to report that I have a brand new computer with Vista and it is a dream.

After all the problems I have had since returning from America, I really appreciate having a reliable computer.

Great to know Slavika is back home again after her little sojourn with her heart problems, take care Slavika

Glenda
    isn't that funny about Kyle, it is nice to hear when our kids go through our experiences and how they react.

Peta is playing in the finals tonight which is a direct telecast at 8 pm, we are hoping they will do well espercially seeing it is Peta's 'swan song'.
    Matilda got a camellia from my garden for her Mum, I saw her today and she told me that the flower 'broke' and she now cannot show her Mum. I told David to get some flowers when he goes to collect Peta from the airport on Sunday, Matilda will just love it.

Off to make a pizza (a healthy one ) for tea (dinner, supper or whatever you care to call it!)

Thanks Trudy for keeping us all informed about Slavika, it has been very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
    Maria
  • Where are you guys? I just came up for air from the state that is underwater. I have two friends on farms in El Reno. One is living on an island. They can't flush. They can't run water. And they are surrounded by water. One of the dams just released more water and she said that water is up to her garage. But she has been very lucky not to have it in her house. The other one has lost several cattle through drowning. That is so strange to all of us--cattle in a field in Oklahoma that drown.....in August.

Slavika, hope your doctor is pleased with you. I loved the picture of you and Patches. Your friend was right--you do have similar hairdos.

Maria, I am so glad for your son's family (and you) that Peta has decided to hang it up. Your son sounds like an exceptional young man to encourage her to follow her dreams. I see a similarity in my son Joel who has never discouraged or acted as if it is too much, taking care of his in-laws, even when it has become very onerous. Shanna has come all by herself to the assumption that you can just go so far. We can be proud of young men who are so giving to their wives.

Ann, I guess you are busy with your kids' visit. I hope Mike didn't really get into any hot water with his boss. Of course, what I want to say is, "How dare he treat him like that!" But reality can be unfair.

Well, all I guess you are passing hot days in the pool. I guess Florida is safe from Dean. Hope you are all well.
    Glenda