Oatmeal in the crockpot--Help Needed

• Hello All,
    I had read on this site people raving about making oatmea in the crock pot. Well I tried it last night and I must have done something wrong because it was nasty. The recipe I found on the internet said to use 2 cups of oat meal. I used quick cook because that is what I had in the house and the recipe said you could. And 6 cups of water. I put it on low before I went to bed. I sleep a standard 8 hours so I assumed that is how long you could cook it. I believe that was wrong. It wasn't even recognizable to be oatmeal by texture or smell.

Any help with this would be appriciated. I love oatmeal and it sounded so good.

Thanks
    Jane
  • I think if you are cooking oatmeal in the crockpot, you want to use steel cut oatmeal, which takes a long time (upwards of half an hour) to cook on the stovetop. Quick cook oatmeal cooks in less than five minutes on the stovetop, why bother with a crockpot for it?
  • I have used the crockpot for oatmeal - steel cut - and I find 8 hours to be too long. I use a "Christmas light" timer and set it to start about 5 hours before I will eat - better taste and texture.

I also just cook a lage batch on the stove top and freeze individual portions - I like the taste better and it is not hard if I am already in the kitchen doing something else!

Ally