Trail Mix Expert?

• I have been buying bagged trail mixes from Whole Foods for months.. but I finally figured out that I can make MUCH more at home (I usually pay $3.99 for just a few ounces!). So today, I bought about $20 worth of ingredients, and oh my.. how much trail mix I can make! But I am having a really hard time figuring out how many calories my portions are. Can anyone help somehow? This is what I mixed... in total, it made 12 one-quarter-cup portions. Math is not my specialty at all . If you can help, I'd really appreciate it!

I mixed:

1 cup lightly salted dry roasted peanuts- serving size is 1 oz.. for 1 oz, there are 160 cals/14 g fat/5 g carbs/1g sugar/7 g protein

1/2 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds- serving size is 1/4 cup.. for 1/4 cup, there are 180 cals/15 g fat/6 g carbs/1 g sugar/7 g protein

1 cup almonds- serving size is 1 oz... for 1 oz, there are 170 cals/15 g fat/6 g carbs/1 g sugar/6 g protein

1 cup raisins- serving size is 1/4 cup.. for 1/4 cup, there are 130 cals/0 g fat/31 g carbs/29 g sugar/1 g protein

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips- serving size is 15 g (no idea how to translate that..).. for 15 g, there are 70 cals/4.5 g fat/10 g carbs/8 g sugar/1 g protein

Also, does anyone know how you should store things like nuts/raisins/chips? Can you freeze them? Should you put them in the fridge? Any idea? I have SO MUCH left.
  • Store them in the fridge, it'll help them keep longer although for most items you can keep them unrefrigerated. You can also put them in the freezer.
  • X
  • Mama,

To figure all that out properly, you'd need to count the amount of each item in the unit of measurement the nutritional info refers to. For the peanuts and almonds, how many ounces are in a cup? If you have leftovers with the nuts and the choco-chips, weigh the volume you used and then you can figure out the calories.

You might find it helpful to enter the entire recipe into Nutridiary or the Daily plate--they have estimates between weight and volume.

At any rate, you're looking at about 250 cals/serving.
  • Yeah.. I can't do math.. lol.. it's just so over my head! If you think 250 is about right, then I'll trust that. Thank you! Now, is it best to freeze or store in the fridge dry nuts/raisins/chocolate chips?
  • As long as they're in air-tight containers, they should last eons at room temperature.
  • X
  • Hmm.. I used a measuring cup and leveled it off and it made 12.. not sure how that works. I think I may have used 1/2 cup raisins and just don't remember.
  • X