Salad!

• This might seem a bit ridiculous to most of you folks, but I'm so excited I have to share!

I have always been wary of salad... I know that it is good for me, and I like it, but I am a calorie counter and it scared me to eat my Mom's salad that I had no idea how many calories were in.
    So tonight I decided to make my own salad for the first time, so I put a bunch of veggies and lettuce and all that good stuff in a bowl, and its this great big salad and I calculated the calories very carefully... and its only 111 cals! Holy crap! I would eat this without dressing or anything very gladly...
    I am highly impressed with this I think I've found a great new food for me!
  • Yep, once you discover something like this it can be a real eye opener. Wait, I don't need to inhale half a bag of chips, I can crunch down some veggies (or salad) instead and be just as satisfied? Major good lifechange.

If you do get tired of eating it plain, try some seasoned rice vinegar. It does have some calories, like I think 10 for a tablespoon, but a little goes a long way, and it really is very tasty.
  • I love salad, but can't eat it plain. I really like that Ken's Steakhouse raspberry walnut dressing, though... plus, it's fat free and has around 50 calories per serving. I like most raspberry vinegarettes... and they're relatively healthy as far as salad dressings go.
  • I eat a ginormous salad (around 8 to 10 oz) every day, usually with my dinner. Sometimes I eat two per day. I do usually insist on dressing that is 30 calories or less per serving, and then I usually only use half a serving. I also really like using fig-infused balsamic vinegar as a dressing. My standard dinner salad is lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and radishes with a low-cal dressing, sea salt, and freshyly ground pepper.

Here are a couple of my other favorite salads:
    Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, raspberries, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper
    Spinach, cucumbers, strawberries, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper

Last night we had an Arugula, Roasted Tomato, and Goat Cheese Salad (a Cooking Light recipe) and it was excellent.