The Healthy Kitchen

• I know we do threads like this all the time, but today I feel very content with the contents of my kitchen.

I have meats and chicken suitable for grilling, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, lettuce, greens, tomatoes, celery, radishes, cucumber, zucchini, baby carrots, whole wheat bread and potatoes for my men!

What about you? What are the bones of your content pantry?
  • I'm happy with what I have - chicken, tuna, brown rice, string cheese, grapes, eggs (I just eat the whites of course ), oatmeal, and beans. I also have a few boxes of cereal - without ingredients like high fructose corn syrup.

I have to re-stock my fruit since I ate most of it over the weekend.
  • I always have a bag of chicken portioned out into 4 oz and 8 oz pieces in the freezer. We eat a lot of chicken, so I buy 3 lbs at a time. I also usually have some chicken sausage and Trader Joe's salmon patties in the freeze for an emergency meal. Most other meat I buy on a weekly basis as a I need it, although there are sometimes leftovers that go in the freezer.

My other staples include:

Dairy
    • Fat free Greek yogurt
    • fat free cream cheese
    • Laughing cow cheese bites for mini-snacks
    • Eggbeaters
    • Eggs
    • Skim milk (mostly for baking)
    • Fat free half and half
    • Trader Joe's lite chevre (only 35 calories an ounce and you'd never know it)

Produce
    • Lots of fruit for snacking, whatever is in season. Right now it is plums, apricots, nectarines, and a few cherries.
    • Raspberries (God's most perfect food) or, if I can't get fresh raspberries, strawberries
    • Lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and radishes for salads
    • Onions for just about everything I cook
    • Normally I would also have a bag of baby spinach or pea shoots for salads, but I've cut back one salad a day to reduce my calories to 1300.

Breakfast (Other than Dairy)
    • Oatmeal or multi-grain hot cereal
    • Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal
    • low calorie English muffins, crumpets, or Penny's low fat muffins
    • bacon (not very healthy but my SO likes it for breakfast on the weekends, so I have it once a week)

Snacks
    • Fiber One muffins (I make a batch every week and have one per day)
    • mini rice-cakes
    • freeze dried fruit
    • 60 calorie Jello pudding snacks
    • Chocolate mini-meringues from Trader Joe's

Other
    • Trader Joe's fat free multi-grain bread (only 70 calories a slice)
    • tube of pre-cooked polenta
    • pouches of tuna and salman
    • pre-cooked chicken breast strips
    • Torani sugar free syrup
    • Fruit-infused balsamic vinegar
  • hmmm whats in my kitchen right now...

- chicken breast
    - pork chops
    - frozen pork skewers (only 130 calories for two! Great for a quick meal)

- organic baby romaine
    - vine tomatoes
    - cucumber
    - zucchini
    - carrots
    - LOTS of onions (green and normal)

- cherries
    - mangoes
    - granny smith apples

-skim milk
    - low fat old chedder cheese
    - herbed goats cheese

- home made whole wheat bread
    - multi grain crisp bread
    - whole wheat barilla plus pasta

TREATS!
    - baked lays
    - skinny cow ice cream sandwiches
    - cadbury thins
    - hershey 60 cal bars
    - fruit pops
    - jello with fruit in it
  • Er... not much, since I've just moved out. I still have brown rice/quinoa/whole wheat pasta and the likes in the pantry, but regarding fresh foods, I'm in desperate need of going to buy groceries tomorrow. Oh yes, I have canned tuna and canned green beans (a good brand, at least, not too crap-laden). Yeah, right, I definitely need FRESH foods. And not the Chinese leftovers from my sister. Dangit, why do restaurants always serve such huge portions? Even doggie-bags are becoming dangerous nowadays!
  • All sortsa stuff, most of it surprisingly healthy. The only "bad" food in stock might be the beef burgers but DH bought those (always blame the man ).

Low fat cheese and cold cuts. 1% milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. Eggs. Prepared BBQ chicken with skin off. Microwave pork roast. Lettuce, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, green beans, onions, garlic. Large melon bowl, bananas, apricots, pears, apples, cherries. WW bread and burger buns, unsweetened shredded wheat cereal, organic Raisin Bran. Light micro popcorn, WW pretzels, 100 cal. paks sun chips. All kinds of veggie soups. Tuna. Soy protein powder. A milllion kinds of tea.

Frozen veggie burgers, salmon fillets, veggie lower cal "Blue Menu" lasagna, muesli breakfast pitas, and a pork tenderloin (I think).

And I'm off to eat some of that fruit!

Dagmar
  • Ooooo we went to a farmers market today. We got melons and strawberries and three colours of peppers and ground turkey and chicken thighs and beef patties and brown eggs ... it was lovely.
    I just love having a bunch of fabulous food in the house!
  • Indie fruit markets
    I was picking up a birthday cake for a dog (yes you read that right) and I passed a small fruit market on Queen St. Had to stop and pick up some local cherries, tomatoes, and peaches (these were from U.S. but too luscious to pass up).

I will be noshing on all of this for dinner, with some artisanal rolls (sunflower seeds on top - yum) and goat cheese. Summer - ain't it GRAND!!

Dagmar