Metabolic Research Center - Take III

You're on Page 1 of 43
Go to
  • Okay, I am new to this and noticed that the old forum was closed so I opened a new one. I have been on the MRC plan for about a month now and have had what I think is some good success. I am down 9.5 lbs with a lot more to go. Just taking it some step at a time. I am finding that I am having more cravings now than when I first started. How do you get through the constant urges to want to eat items that are not on the plan?
  • Thanks hdaisy, for starting part 3 of our section.

What exactly are you craving? Maybe there is a recipe someone can share that will help? Is it the same time every day or all day long?

I know that my 'witching hour' seems to be between 3-4 p.m. I think it's because that is the time my kids get in from school, during the school year, and have a snack...and I would have one with them, while they told me about their day. So it became a habit. I can still tell when it's around that time of day, because I'll think that I'm hungry, but if I go do something, even as simple as brushing my teeth, it seems to go away, so I know it wasn't real hunger.

There are days that I think I will just DIE if I don't have one itty bitty Hershey's kiss...but then I think "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" and that seems to help me fight the urge. Not saying I'm perfect though, I'm sure the day will come when I have to confess to y'all that I ate or drank something I shouldn't have...nature of the beast.

Just remember, we didn't gain this weight over night, and we won't lose it over night either. It takes time..but we have the time, because we are all learning how to eat healthy!

Welcome to the board!
  • hdaisy96...try drinking a fiber plus drink when you get a craving. That's what my center told me to do when I first started the program. When I started taking additional pills (cortitrim, MRC6 and the enhancer) I didn't have cravings, but now that I'm off of them I can tell when I'm starting to get hungry.

Good luck to everone at WI this week.
  • welcome hdaisy! Also - remember that most of our cravings are not what our bodies need. They are a result of they way we have conditioned our bodies over the years of eating yucky. When I crave chocolate - I eat a chocolate pudding (one every afternoon!), otherwise I have an HNS or do something different; play with the kids, read, walk, leave the house to run an errand, clean something... (my house is getting cleaned often! - lol!!) Remember - this too shall pass!!.
  • I try and drink more water or have a creamy as Nan11 says. And the brushing the teeth trick does help!! I had forgotten about that!

yeah, I need to WI soon. I'm pretty much out of HNS. I'm so stressed though.... UGH!
  • wow this board is really moving quickly. just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing. looks fantastic.
    welcome back aszimmer. time is closing in for Aaron's return and i am sure you are very thrilled about that.
    welcome to all the newbies.
    i think that i may be changing my goal weight. seems the last is always the hardest but for me it is more of feeling comfortable in my own skin.
    i had a size in mind when i started and i have achieved it so i may just maintain.
    keep up all the losses and inches everyone is doing so fantastic.
  • Wow...take 3 already. Way to go everyone! Lets keep the weights going negative this week and the attitudes headed positive!
  • WI this morning and lost another pound.

We talked about my upcoming week, which will be somewhat stressful and will be hard for me to stick strictly to the program. I'm taking my oldest up to college for his freshman orientation...when I road trip I have a 'tricky tummy' and the best thing for me is to not eat until I reach the destination...well, it's about an 8 hour drive, so I'm a little freaked. Plus we turn around two days later for the drive home. That will basically be 2 days out of 3 where I eat only 1 meal. Not to mention the small college town doesn't have many healthy restaurants, so I'll be eating a lot of salads and baked/grilled chicken when I do eat.

I plan on drinking my water, though and I want to grab a few MRC bars, just in case..and the drinks. I'm worried about my WI next Monday though. *sighs*

Of course I still have my WI on Thursday to get through..hope I can lose at least another lb. I've gone from averaging 5 lbs to 3.5 lbs to almost 2 lbs a week. It's a good average weight loss, but not nearly as 'magical' as 5 lbs a week. Still..I have time..I never would have thought a month ago that I would have lost 20 plus lbs. Whenever I look at the scales and think "180 lbs is TOO much!" I remember that I've already lost 22 lbs and I only have around 40 more to go!

skinnymeinside, I think changing your goal weight would probably be fine, but maybe you should check with your counselors? My original goal was 145 lbs, but I decided to try to get to 140 lbs so I'd have a 5 lbs lee-way (at least in my mind)...my counselor agreed that it would probably be fine, however it all depends on what I look like at 145 lbs, and what size I am wearing too. At my age, too thin tends to make one look older..not for me!!!
  • hdaisy96 - I get a lot of cravings too. For me, they get worse the closer I get to my goal weight. It's a mental thing that I'm struggling to overcome. I start rationalizing in my head that I can eat all the stuff I'm not supposed to since I'm starting to get thinner. It's a constant battle that I'm trying to win to keep the weight off for good! I've talked to my counselors about it a lot, and they have been great support. I take the All-Day Weight Loss, and I can definitely tell that I feel like snacking more when I skip a dose of it. I usually save my "creamy" HNS for a dessert after dinner, but sometimes on the weekends when I'm bored and close to a snack - I'll have it during the day before dinner. That helps me. Also, making the gelatin feels more like a snack to me, so I make lots of those. It helps me to make sure I get 4 drinks a day in too.

Also - I wanted to let you all know that my center is doing a "Metaquick Challenge" promotion this week. (A meal replacement bar or shake with a HNS drink for breakfast and lunch and a normal dinner.) They're encouraging everyone to do Metaquick for 7 days to jump start weight loss. They are giving a prize to those who lose the most during the week. My counselor recommended a bar/HNS for breakfast; meal replacement shake/HNS for lunch; then a normal dinner. They also gave me some ideas for different twists for the meal replacement shakes. Some I'm sure you have to use your imagination on, of course.

Dreamsicle - Vanilla Shake, Orange HNS
    Pina Colada - Vanilla Shake, Pineapple Cocktail HNS and coconut extract
    Peaches and Cream - Vanilla Shake, Peach Mango HNS
    Purple Cow - Vanilla Shake, Grape HNS
    Rootbeer Float - Vanilla Shake, rootbeer extract
    Lemon Drop - Vanilla Shake, Lemon HNS
    French Vanilla - Vanilla Shake, Cappucinno HNS
    Kahlua and Cream - Vanilla Shake, Cappucinno HNS, Kahlua extract
    Raspberry Mocha - Chocolate Shake, coffee extract, sugarfree raspberry syrup
    Mounds - Chocolate Shake, coconut extract
    Almond Joy - Chocolate Shake, coconut extract, almond extract
    French Silk - Chocolate Shake, Vanilla Creme HNS
    Orange Tootsie Pop - Chocolate Shake, Orange HNS
    Banana Split - Chocolate Shake, Strawberry Banana Jello HNS
    Chocolate Berry Passion - Chocolate Shake, Wildberry Passion HNS
    Turtle - Chocolate Shake, sugarfree caramel syrup
    Chocolate Mint - Chocolate Shake, mint extract
    Mudslide - Chocolate Shake, Cappuccino HNS, Kahlua extract
    Chocolate Suicide - Chocolate Shake, Double Chocolate HNS
    Chocolate Covered Cherries - Chocolate Shake, cherry extract

Have a great week everyone!!!
  • I wish my center sold the shakes. The manager said that in her other center she couldn't move them, so she isn't going to stock them here.
    I suppose I could see if the center near Destin sells them.

Ok, here's our thought of the week, courtesy of my center:

"All battles are first won or lost, in the mind"
    ~Joan of Arc

The weight loss battle is no different. If you think you can reach your goal you will!!!! The power of positive thinking is a great tool in the success of our lives. Practice positive self talk and see the difference it can make.
  • Man, do I hear you guys on the cravings. I am sitting here knowing that I have a mint bar in my purse and it has taken everything in my not to go and eat it. UGH. I guess it is just boredom. I just drank an extra HNS to try to get the craving out of my system. I am NOT hungry so I know it is a mind game.

Anyways, I haven't weighed in a couple weeks since we moved to Austin. I will try to go on Wednesday when the girl comes to Round Rock. Wish me luck, I don't own a scale but i have been following the plan. I am sure it will be fine.
  • I went to wi this morning and lost 2 more pounds! I have lost 21 pounds! WOO-HOO!!! I have been averaging 4 pounds a week so far - I still can't believe it!! Plus I got to sign the 20 pound board!!! That was an awesome way to start my week. This seems too easy!

nan11 the Destin office does sell the shakes. They seem to have a lot of stuff at the office, so you should stock up while you're here... I wi on Mon & Thurs mornings - usually right at 9:00 if possible. Look for me if your here. I love all the ladies at our office - they rock!

I am hoping to keep up my momentum, and sign the 30 pound board in 2 weeks. (only 9 pounds away from that!) I can't wait! I will be at Publix tomorrow stocking up on buffalo, and corn tortillas. I may try to make some kind of enchilada, or taco thing with them this week.

Hope all of you have a great week as well!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!
  • losingweightnow, I'll be back down on the 22nd, so I'll swing by the office. Thanks for the tip! Also need to make a HUGE Publix run for buffalo! <--not a sentence I thought I'd ever be saying.

Sounds like everyone is doing well with their WI's.
  • Quote: wow this board is really moving quickly. just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing. looks fantastic.
    welcome back aszimmer. time is closing in for Aaron's return and i am sure you are very thrilled about that.
    welcome to all the newbies.
    i think that i may be changing my goal weight. seems the last is always the hardest but for me it is more of feeling comfortable in my own skin.
    i had a size in mind when i started and i have achieved it so i may just maintain.
    keep up all the losses and inches everyone is doing so fantastic.
    Wow ! You are doing so great. I know your Hubby will be as thrilled when he sees you. Do what you need to to make you feel good about you. I can't wait until I am to the place where i can decide to loose more than I originally planned. Great Job!

Also, Shalimar sells Shakes too! Weigh in the morning hoping for the best.
  • Hmmmm...I wonder how often you can do the Metaquick Challenge? I really do like the meal replacement shakes...they are HUGE! I wasn't sure I'd be able to drink the whole thing the first time! I had one last night for dinner (I know - not supposed to have them then, but it was 9 p.m. when I got home - and I just couldn't see myself sitting down to a 'meal'...I was too tired!).

I got on the bathroom scale this morning (buck nekkid) and I think I'm down 5 lbs. Of course the 'official' wi will be Thursday evening at 6 p.m. I live way out in the boonies - so I only wi once a week when the center is at their 'satellite office'. The other centers are about 30 mins or so away from me (each way).

Do any of you guys have any 'secrets' or 'great ideas' for Movie Munchies? We're going to see the new Harry Potter movie at the IMAX theater tomorrow and I need something else besides popcorn!!!