Kashi Good Friends cereal

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Because of a recent post by Mony, I decided to give Kashi's "Good Friends" cereal another go...and I'm glad I did!

Actually I realized upon purchasing it that it wasn't "Good Friends" I had tried but "Go Lean" which I didn't care for all that much. I had GF for breakfast this morning, and HEY, only 90 calories and 8 grams of fiber which compares very favorably with my favorite Shredded Wheat - which has a lot more calories and about the same amount of fiber.

Jim didn't have the guts to try it - he's sticking to alternating Raisin Bran and Quaker Corn Bran (which also tastes terrific!).

So I give a BIG THUMBS UP to Good Friends - actually the taste may take some getting used to at first, as it is very chewy but it will fill you up and you will stay full. And we all know how good fiber is for you...

Anyone else tried it?

MrsJim
    265/155/145

10 pounds left!! Yee Haw!!!
  • Hi MrsJim,

I bought it once, but never tried it (that was during my Sugarbusters trial run...now I'm in a Jenny Craig mode. ). I've heard only really good things about it, and we still have it here, so maybe i'll eat some, or give it to my daughter or husband!

Chris
  • It's a WW staple! My WW leader turned me on to it in 1998. I'd never heard of it before. I stopped buying it, actually, because I can't keep my hand out of the box. Now, if they would package it in little snack-sized bags for me...
  • Bumby - how about those little cereal boxes like Kellogg's used to come in (maybe they still do???) You know, the ones with the preforations...you pour the milk right in the box and eat the cereal. Somehow that just never worked right for me!

I think I'll be toddling off to Trader Joe's and picking up a few more boxes of GF. I liked it much better than Go Lean. However, ANYTHING is better than Uncle Sam Cereal, which for some reason my mother adores. Of course, she's a flaxseed addict! Have you ever had that? There are WHOLE flaxseeds throughout the cereal. It's advertised "for regularity" and boy howdy, with all the flaxseed in the box, your colon should be in great shape!!

OH and Jim told me, "When you go to Trader Joes, pick up some Puffins for me". That's another great cereal!! I like to mix cereals in a bowl, so I would mix the Puffins and GF together. Puffins is similar to Quaker Corn Bran. Little corny squares!

MrsJim (a cereal nut!)
    265/155/145
  • Try the cinnamon Puffins! Very slightly sweet, nice and crunchy.

If you are interested in recipes, the Kashi.com website has a lot of things you can do with Kashi cereal--muffins and the like.

• Hi there!

I had started using Kashi cereals/bars about 2 months ago, and it's great towards evening when you want something a little on the sweet side and crucnhy. I mix a little honey puffed Kashi cereal in my bowl along with the Go Lean and or Good Friends, only if I have that sweetness craving.

I almost have my hubby convinced to eat a small bowl of cereal instead of 4 or 5 chocolate chip cookies. He's doing everything else right (almost) he's still exercising and eating leaner protien chioces and lots of vegies and fruit. We cut down on the refined sugars and flours, but we're taking things one day (sometimes one meal) at a time.

Highly recommend Kashi
  • I LOVE Kashi good friends!! I have a 2 year old that will choose this cereal over any sweetened brand every time!! I love to mix 1 serving of the good friends cereal with a 6oz. container of sugar free/fat free yogurt, this is a great snack or a nice breakfast on the run.
  • It tastes like sticks and pressed wood to me.
  • I personally call it twigs and stems, but I LOVE IT! I eat it every day with skim milk (2 pts), except sometimes on the weekend I want an egg on top of a lowfat waffle. It is the only breakfast cereal that sticks with me throughout the morning. One time I even ate it for dinner because we had eaten breakfast out and used mucho points.

Anyone who hasn't tried it needs to give it a whirl.

Betsy
    222.6/216/140
  • One more Kashi lover posting here. I eat it every day and love the kind that you cook like rice. I have it for breakfast with applesauce. For dinner I stir fry onions, eggplant, mushrooms and red peppers and put some water and kashi in the oven with the veggies mixed in for a delicous meal or side dish.

Way to go Mrs. Jim! 10 lbs to go is a great place to be
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by BetsyTC
    I personally call it twigs and stems, but I LOVE IT
    Don't forget the bark flakes...twigs, stems and bark. :laughing: But I love Good Friends too. And in all fairness I think I've figured out the secret of GoLean....never, ever get it wet! (Like that Gremlin movie) It's not half bad as a dry snack.
  • Am I the only one who likes the GoLean cereal? I must be, 'cuz I can't find it in our town anymore.

Gotta laugh at the bark, stems and twigs comment!

Oh well, I'm quite happy with the Good Friends cereal. I've even bought it by the case from their website.

Donna
  • No, Donna, you're not alone. I like the Go-Lean cereal, too. The only problem I have with it is that it's not good for dry snacking. I like to have a baggy full of cereal (like Kashi) in the car in case I get the munchies. The Go-Lean stuff is not car friendly and is best left within a bowl full of milk. It's also not as easy to find in my area as Kashi Good Friends is.
  • Well...the box calls it twigs too...

I went to Trader Joe's this weekend and bought 4 boxes! At $1.99 you can't beat it (they also have Go Lean for $1.99 as well, and the Puffins/Shredded Spoonfuls for $2.99 ea). If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, check 'em out!

MrsJim
    265/156(wah!)/145

Went up a pound...time of month I guess!
  • Love Kashi
    My sister turned me on to Kashi Go Lean and Good Friends, I really like it. I was unsure at first, but I love all the fiber I get with it. My only problem is that it is hard to find in stores around my area. I do not have a Trader Joe's anywhere near me, but I did find kashi.com and I have been able to order stuff off the website. Go Kashi!!!!