Best Hummus for First-Timer?

• I've had hummus once before...as far as I know it was just regular flavored and I really wasn't too thrilled with it. But, knowing that it's good for me has made me want to add it to my diet. Can anyone recommend the best flavor to start out on that doesn't taste quite so much....like hummus??
  • I like the Athenos brand Roasted Red Pepper. I have also tried their Spicy three pepper which is hot, but good. It has a consistency of guacamole and awesome flavor. I like to dip Triscuit crips in it.
  • I just get regulard brand hummus, I then put it in a bowl and mix it with corriander I think in america they call it cilantro, I also add olive oil and lemon (lol can you tell I'm an arab?). Yeah so with all that it should be nice, and if you put it into a sandwhich with roasted vegetables its like heaven OR you can shred some lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery (anything you can think of) and put them in instead. It's delicious!!
  • I like either Cedars or Sabra Roasted Garlic....
  • I love roasted red pepper hummus But unlike Babs, I don't like the Athenos brand. I find it too "fluffy" lol. But I love Tribe brand hummus
  • Maybe you could try making your own and just use less tahini in it until you get used to it. That is what give hummus it's distinctive flavor. If you have a food processor it's really easy to do. Just throw a drained can of garbanzo beans (save the liquid) in with 1-4T of Tahini (sesame paste), 1-4 cloves of garlic, a pinch of salt, 1/2-1 whole lemon (juice only), and if you like spice a pinch of cayenne. Then blend and add the reserved liquid until it's the desired consistency. Personally I use the higher end of the measurements, but if you experiment I'm sure you can find a mixture you like.
  • I also make my own, since it takes about 3 minutes. I add cumin, coriander, cayenne and lemon juice, and often I'll add roasted garlic instead of fresh garlic, and use the oil the garlic was roasted in instead of regular olive oil. Delish!
  • I like the Tribe brand lemon hummus. I've tasted a couple of different flavours and, while I adore the taste of regular hummus, the lemon flavoured one is the one I've found to taste the least like hummus. I can even get away with putting it on my daughter's turkey sandwhich and she thinks it's a mix up of mayo, mustard and salad dressing. If she knew it was chick peas she'd never eat it! LMBO!

Cheers, Tamara
  • I second the vote for Sabra brand. I like the kinds with pine nuts, chickpeas or spicy "sauce" (zehug). The other commonly available brands are grainy and always seem to have an "off" taste to me. Fortunately, the Sabra stuff is available where I live (CT)- I have 2 containers in the fridge right now!
  • The Sabra brand Roasted Red Pepper is my favorite. It has a nice creamy consistency and tastes more like homemade.
  • Athenos still had HFCS two years ago. Ick.

I love Trader Joe's Garlic Hummus. I eat two servings a day. It is my 'cannot live without it' food. In addition, Trader Joe's also makes a plain, tahini-free style.
  • Fresh hummus is really the only way to go I think. Try finding a recipe and making it. It will be a bit cheaper and a bit tastier. I like mine with lots of garlic.
  • I make my own. It is pretty much like what Zenor77 posted, except I add some plain yougurt and I usually use a tsp or so of sesame oil instead of the tahini. I use the sesame oil in other things, so it makes more sense for me. Oh, yes, I use my immersion blender to make it. Quick and easy.

I always have fresh lemon juice, because I squeeze a few lemons and freeze the juice in ice cube trays.