~golden Girls~ July

You're on Page 7 of 29
Go to
  • Hello GGs

Betty: Welcome to our forum Sounds like you have done terrific, here is a quote from Curve's "Permanent Results without Permanent Dieting" Workbook.....
    If you have been yo-yo dieting or have been dieting perpetually, you may have sabotaged your metabolism. You should......(basically stop dieting)..... and increase your calories in order to raise metabolism. Your current weight will be your low or ideal weight and you should select a high weight that is a few pounds higher. Begin to eat at a caloric level that is high enough to raise your metabolism. Never gain more than a few pounds, then lose them by .....(basically... return to dieting) ... As your prevailing metabolism is raised, you should be able to eat normally for longer periods of time, before you reach your high weight and must diet again. When your metabolism is sufficiently high to start losing weight you may follow the normal diet program.
    You can play with that idea and see if anything breaks for you....I know that several years back....Weight Watchers had a plateau breaking diet that they put you on.....and it wasn't nice.....very very low calorie...... I don't know if they still do that or not....haven't been to WW for ages & ages. Doesn't look like you can go much lower on calories...

littlered,,,,guess I was lucky with hot flashes....not too many of them....the few that I had were enough!! I went the soy route....do check with the local health food store, they probably have several products out.

JayJay...sorry to hear about the death.... I got a durable power of attorney today as well as a living will...haven't made much progress on the will...still trying to decide what I'd like have done.

Paula...thinking about you and hoping that all is going smoothly for you.

A big hello to all the GG
  • Hello to all the Golden Girls!!

Betty! I know you will get lots of encouragement from everyone here. It sounds like you have been doing great though. Like Theresa, I really haven't hit that nasty "plateau" yet but I know it is out there lurking just waiting to get me!! Just keep on going and keep a positive attitude and it will break I'm sure. And coming here lots helps BUNCHES!!

Welcome back Lyn, We will be looking forward to pictures!

Theresa, I did the soy and black cohosh plus some estrogen cream that really helped a lot. I had been on the HRT for about 10 years, and when the big scare came out I just came off of it. I know it is miserable though and I always keep a fan in our bedroom. Sometimes I still use it but most of the time I do pretty good.

Zoe, glad to hear from you. Did you get your bike ride in? I know I always cry whenever I have to say goodbye to one of the kids or my family when I leave MO. to ocme back here. I know when the house sells it will be hard to say goodbye to my sons and the grandkids. But they are young and they can come and visit us.

I'm just getting so tired of the waiting game right now of selling the house and the rv. We've had lots of calls but nothing as yet. I'm jsut looking forward to moving back close to my family and wish things were moving faster. So I try to keep busy and do my WATP's now. I have got the house all realy to show and am keeping it that way. But it still isn't fast enough---- kind of like losing weight!!

Paula, I hope today has gone really good for you and your Dad. We'll be anxious to hear.

Well, Hello to everyone I missed! I have a few more things that I want to get done today but thought that I would take a break and see what was happening here. Take care everybody and I'll chat later. Karen
  • Hi again everybody . . .

Just wanted to stop in to give a great big welcoming to BETTY. Afraid I have no plateau-busting miracles up my sleeve for you. You have definitely done well and things do slow down as you get closer to goal so just hang in there. Just keep doing the good stuff as much as you possibly can and eventually the rewards will follow.

As well as making the Golden Girls and the 50 Plus Forum your home base, you might want to post a big HI in the "Introductions" Forum (where a lot of the newbies stop by) . . . here's a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8 . . . and also take your time looking around this really big site. I know you will be welcomed wherever you decide to stop in for a visit.

Have a great evening everybody . . . See you all tomorrow . . .
  • Moxiesd,
    WOW!! I hadn't thought of that. I have, here & there, eat a "normal" high(er) calorie meal hoping to stimulate my metabolism. But was so afraid of doing it more than one meal- or one day at most. The thought of gainning even 1/2 lb from that simply TERRIFIED me!!!! :O !!! But I hadn't thought of trying what u suggested. Believe me- putting ANY weight back on ought to be a breeze. If I can keep from being consumed by guilt. What do they suggest, 2-3 lbs? I guess I won't look like the Good Year blimp with that little (tho it'll take a lot of talking to myself to convce myself that is the case) But trying to be realistic here. And I KNOW in my head- no one will notice that little. The only other fear I have, is, u know how it takes you a mere ETERNITY to actually stop just saying u r gonna do something bout the weight & ACTUALLY do it??? I sure hope I don't like the eatting more to much to get back up on my horse & ride. Barring any other suggestions that I can try- I'll give this one a shot. One more qusetion, 'bout how long should you stay on the higher cal. intake diet? I will keep exercising. That is the thing to do- right?(that was 2 questions,huh? lol) Sorry to sound so ignorant- but like I said before , this diet plateau is so frustrating, in trying this, I want to do it right.
    Thank U again, So very much for taking time to help me.
  • Welcome Betty...glad to have you with us.

Wow, you have done really well with all the weight you have lost. Don't get discouraged, the only thing I could see is maybe you need to add some calories for a few days by eating a lite lunch....in the calorie counters group they do it to shake things up. You eat mostly the same foods everyday so about the same amount of calories, try to up that for 3 or 4 days then go back to your regular routine. I beleive that is called Zig-Zagging.

I am stuck again, like Joanne I keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. So I have now added more walking and I am trying the Oxycise 15 min. workout along with the 1 to 2 miles per day. I really can't cut my calories too much more so I'll try this for a couple weeks and see if it helps get me moving down on the scales again.

I'm sure some of the other ladies might have some good info for you.

Phyllis
  • Zoe, I hope your feeling better.........I know it's so hard to see these children of ours leave us. I am just dreading the day my youngest son (31) moves to So. Carolina, I get teary eyed thinking about it.

It sounds like he has a nice gf and a nice life and just think you will get to see him again in Oct....

Glad you had a nice visit with them, I am sure they enjoyed it too.

Take care, Phyllis
  • Hi Everyone,

Hi Linda, You wrote, "...I really think I'm going to have to change my official weigh-in day to Sunday. Nice 226.6 this morning. Wonder where it will be by Wednesday." Funny you should say that - I've been tracking my weight everyday for 5 years & Wednesday is the day I'm most likely to weigh the most every week!

Hi Theresa, thank you for your email address, I must have deleted it. I emailed the new address directory to you. If I'm doing the math correctly, you are almost to your birthday goal - 3 more lbs to go? I'm rooting for you -

About the hot flashes - when I had them (REALLY bad), I found that sugar, splenda, coffee, caffeine, and chocolate made them worse. I got a ceiling fan in my bedroom with a remote control. When they hit, I turn on the fan. Sorry - other than that, I have no advice - NOTE: the research now says that HRT is NOT bad for you. Check with your dr.

Hi Lily, sometimes I stay the same for 2-3 weeks & then have a really good loss the next couple of weeks. Here's wishing you patience.

Hi Margaret, I hope your brother is doing better. I'll check out your salmon recipe as soon as I post this message.

Hi Paula, I like my broccoli with cheese sauce - a la TGIF style.

Hi Phyllis, I have a "scrapping room" in my condo. I'll take some photos. It's got a small couch that opens into a double bed, a cutting table - opens REALLY large - with 2 stools, & lots of storage space for my supplies (got these in the children's area of Ikea).

Hi Cat, thank you for update about N.O. I am SO sorry to hear that things are still really bad there.

Hi Joanne, funny you mentioned the will - I am in the process of having my lawyer update mine - I never did that after dd died. I don't know about your mom's fire alarm, but mine is so LOUD that it's just about impossible to remain in the building. When it goes off, it goes off in each condo and in the hallways - really hurts your ears.

Oh Zoe, I'm so sorry about your ds leaving. Nothing else to say except I understand & I'm sorry he lives so far away.

Betty - so glad you came to join us. My advice is to change what you're eating. Our bodies get really used to the same food/exercise - sometimes we need to change things up to get that scale to move.

Hi Lyn, I got your info & sent you a copy of the most recent address directory. I'm glad you had a good time in New England. I spent today in Port Jervis, NY (with my niece) is that close to you?

Today was my day with my niece. She lives almost 3 hours from me - up in NY near the NY/NJ/PA intersection. I got there around 8 AM & we rode her horses for over 2 hours. Then I took her & her dh out to lunch & then I drove home. I couldn't wait to take a bath when I got home! The heat + 2 hours of riding + her 2 dogs + her 3 cats really left their "mark" on me.

Glad to be back home. Check back with you tomorrow AM.

Lynn
  • Hello GGs,
    Welcome Betty! Happy to have you join us. I know what you mean about the plateau. I think we've all been there. It seems like nothing can get by it doesn't it? Have you noticed that you are becoming more toned and your clothes fit better as time goes on even without any additional loss? They say muscle weighs more than fat so maybe you are building muscle so your weight is staying close to the same but you are getting smaller. I didn't take my measurements before I started - wish I had cause then I would be able to keep track of inches as well as pounds.
    Theresa - Hope you can find some relief with the suggestions others have made. If the supplements work, let me know, I am thinking of going off my HRT.
    Lyn - welcome back, sounds like you had a great time relaxing and visiting.
    Lynn - just reading about your day exhausts me. I haven't ridden a horse for years the last time was when we took a trail ride in Colorado. My legs felt like jelly afterwards.
    Zoe - I surely know how you feel with my one and only son living in NYC and only getting home twice a year. We've always had a very good relationship and he still calls for little things like how to get a stain out of his clothes or how to cook something.

Hello to everyone else - Phyllis, Paula, Karen, Linda, Meowee, moxiesd, Joanne, Cat, hope I didn't miss anyone and hope you all have a good day tomorrow. My wake-up time is 5:30 a.m. so I'd better get to bed.
  • ARGH!!!!!!!!

What's with these plateaus? I've been at 167 since the beginning of the month

I'm off for a 3-mile walk on the canal. Maybe that will jog loose some weight.

Lynn
  • Good Morning . . .

Sorry for the quick little 'fly-by' but I'll be back later . . .
  • Any of you heard of Oxycise??? It's the deep breathing exercises to help lose weight. I've had the tape for years and found it the other day so I am adding that 15 min. program to my walking....I'll let you all know how it goes.

Lynn, we have a sleep number bed too..........I LOVE MY BED! I'm a 40 and my dh is a 50!

I'll ck in later.......Phyllis
  • Morning Ladies...hot, humid day here..Nothing exiting planned for the day. I'm all caught up on work and am thinking about going to register for a pilates class if I can stand the heat in the car, lol...

Betty, I'm there with you. I think I've hit a plateau and I've decided just not to look at the scale for a while and I'm upping my water intake. It IS depressing, but I'm trying my best not to think about it, but it's hard when you know you've been "good" and not losing.

Zoe, let's just have a good "missing our babies" cry, ok? DD is getting settled..she just called and said today they are shopping for an armoire since there is very little storage space in the loft apt they have but they are starting to get organized. I got so tickled with her yesterday. She called me from the grocery store and asked me for the "recipe" for tuna salad. She asked me to email it to her cell phone so she could get all the stuff while she was there. Who uses a recipe for tuna? So I emailed her what I put in mine. So a couple of hours later she calls..."Do I put the egg yolks in too?"..uh, yeah. Then a few minutes later she calls again "How much mayonaise do I put in?"...just keep putting in a little at time till it looks right. This morning I asked her how it turned out and she said they hadn't eaten it yet, that they wanted it to get real cold...all that for one lousy bowl of tuna salad. I kept telling her she needed to cook more with me!
  • Okay, I KNOW I'm being very self-centered , and please KNOW, fahgoodness' sake, that I love you all madly, and have read all your posts, and would normally try to reply as much as possible to all of them, but I'm still in recovery, here. (Oh, Cat. Just read your post. Just having you cry with me makes a world of difference! Oh, that poor baby, needing your help to make tuna salad! THAT made my eyes tear up!) And I KNOW that the rest of you commiserated with me as well, and I just appreciate it more than you could imagine.
    Doing better, yes. Getting back to my regular routine...am at work, brought my bag-o-fiber for brekkie, and leftover meatloaf that I made for supper last night that was FULL of fiber (substituted crushed Fiber One cereal for breadcrumbs) and DELICIOUS (if I DO say so myself) AND, I believe fairly lo-cal and low-fat (used 93% lean ground beef). Maybe I'll post the recipe on the recipe sticky when I get a little extra time. Did an hour and a half bike ride yesterday after dropping DS at the airport, so I got some more sun (am developing a pretty decent tan just from my bike rides) AND worked off some calories as well as some emotional anguish.
    Poor DH has a bad chest cold; he's been taking Tylenol for colds, but has just gotten worse, and stayed home from work yesterday which is very unusual for him. Insisted on going in today, and I told him to pick up some Robitussin for chest congestion on his way, which he called and said he'd done. If he doesn't improve very soon, he's going to have to see the doctor.
    I feel bad because I went and slept in the spare bedroom (again)...if it's not the snoring (which it most typically IS) it's this cold, which isn't something I need at this point in time. He liked the meatloaf a lot, tho.

Gotta run, but welcome back, Lyn, and nice to meet you, Betty.

Will post some more later.

TTFN,
    Z
  • Morning GOLDEN GIRLS!!! Ok so I did a great day caloriewise yesterday -- looking forward to repeating today although I am drinking a Starbucks mocha (no fat no whip please) at the moment. I have a question for you lovely ladies here. Without going into great detail I will be attending a wedding of a young lady I have known all her life. Her parents and my husband and I were best of friends -- our two children were more like brother and sister than neighbours. Fast forward to 6 years ago - my husband died, they completely took me under their wings. About 4 years ago the husband (stupidly really really stupidly) began an affair and they split up. The next year the wife and I did everything together -- soon after I met my sweetie she cancelled our friendship (no other way to call it) -- just cut me out of her life. I wasn't the only one but we had been beyond close. Anyway I received the invitation last week -- the wedding is a ways away but there are several of us willing to make the trek -- I just dread seeing my old friend. I loved her like a sister and she was the one that quit me. I know I will do my best to be gracious and be there for the bride and her father. Has anyone else experienced this?? I am not good with these things -- oh well, my friends have promised me it will be a great weekend even though I am leaving my sweetie at home -- too many $$$ and he doesn't know the family.

Zoe - I know you will get back on track -- I can visualize you on your bike and I am envious of your biking daily. Very cool you are coming to the west coast in October -- still to far from me but what the heck - same coast LOL.

Betty -- Welcome to our fabulous group!!! No advice I am hanging out on the plateau myself but I refuse to enjoy the view I want to move on -- soon!!!

Theresa -- I have seen that bumper sticker on motorhomes. I would really love to put it on my mom's car - she is horrible about saving her money for our inheritance and never spending on herself. I totally encourage her to go for it. Funny a while ago she wanted to take a course -- it was $75 I told her to take it from my part of the inheritance - she laughed took the course and thoroughly enjoyed herself.

Lyn -- welcome back. Very interesting about your sister. My mom has a friend who went over to China after her divorce to help out (unofficial volunteer too). She sends monthly updates -- some of the stories from the orphanages just break my heart.

Moxie - thanks for the kind words. I have always been rather sensitive about wills and estates. One of my good friends is a top estate lawyer here in Vancouver -- some of the stories he has shared -- YIKES!!! My will is set up so that my son doesn't get the bulk of my estate until after he is 35. I didn't have to do too much after my husband passed away -- it was written up well enough. I just took care of what to do for my sweetie if anything happened to me.

Karen -- wishing you a sale soon. I was where you are three years ago -- I bought then put my house on the market -- of course the market collapsed the minute I listed - sighs. I was on a trip to NYC doing faxing for the final sale in October LOL.

Lynn - yep mom's alarm is loud and horrible. She stayed out on the balcony but as it was I had to call her we couldn't talk it was so loud.

Lily -- I am glad I have my original measurements. I actually went back to my Jenny Craig centre last year to get my starting measurements.

Linda - Hi as you fly by LOL

Phyllis
    -- all I know is that breathing correctly and deeply is very very good for our bodies on many levels. We just don't breath correctly. I learned a lot in my yoga classes.

Cat -- We have quite the plateau going across this continent - we need to do something to shift it. I am doing my best on the west coast to get the momentum going!!! Sure sounds like someone is missing her mom -- how many phone calls for one tuna salad -- I think it is so sweet!!!! I only have one son and he keeps threatening - at least he has stopped threatening to move to New Zealand -- pheww

Wow it always feels so good to catch up with everyone.
  • Hi girls- I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to ring with news on where my dad is going to be moved to. The home that went to assess him yesterday turned him down. The nurse said he's not sure why they are even considering moving him. She also made the remark that they should keep his trach cleaner and that the secretions around it will in time break down his tissue and cause really problems. I clean him every time I go visit, but I don't; really feel it's my job.

anyway I visited another home yesterday. It's the one I really didn't want him to go to because of all the negative reports I've heard from other people. I was surprised how clean it was. The staff was very friendly and there was no bad smells as we walked through the halls. The RT sounded very positive about his treatment he will receive there for his congestion and swallowing problems. They are going to go assess him today and I'm waiting to hear from them. These are the people that the insurance said was my option.

Linda- Sorry, can't help with the hot flashes. I suffered through all that stuff without any meds. I had heard such negative stuff about hormones that I didn't take anything.

Betty- Exercising helps when I hit a plateau. Mix it up and do something different for a while. Your body gets used to same old thing ans starts to get used to what you are doing. Try eating every 3 hours to keep your metabolism moving.