Stuff that WORKS...

• I have a bit of a problem with people saying what works and doesn't work. Not to be antagonistic so I will explain.
    I believe that a weight loss program works if you can stick with it long term, if it can be a long term part of your life and if it's healthy. Going on a liquid diet, losing 50 pounds in 2 hours is not something that I think works.

A lot of the DIETs talked about here are fads, and I believe that most are unrealistic. Besides, if there were a magic pill or formula, it would be HUGE news, it wouldn't be advertised on the back of a rag mag!

Just my 2 cents...
  • Welcome Turbomer,

Often we get a lot of people asking questions about products and methods, so that is why we have this forum to concentrate all those types of questions. There are some good stickies at the top of the forum to answer generic questions.

The diet industry is a multibillion dollar industry which thrives on its own failure to help people lose weight long term. The advertising for various products is enormous and it gets into people's minds. They pay people to gain weight so they can take before and "after" photos and then give testimonials about how great a product works. It is basically a constant bombardment of advertising that possibly gives those hope that maybe, just maybe, there is something that will give someone a bit of an edge to lose weight.

So anyway, its not a big surprise that we get many questions about many products and we have this forum for people to discuss their experiences and knowledge about those products.
  • I think it's very important to have people understand what the concept of WORKING means- That's why I feel that fad diets do not work, even if you do lose a lot of weight- because to me what WORKS is what is sustainable for the long term. Of course that may be different for everyone- but I honestly am saddened when I hear how much people believe the lies and bad messages that we are given, especially women-
  • I agree, the diet industry sucks a lot of money out of our pockets with little if any success. One thing of interest, if you haven't checked it out yet, is the maintainer forum here. I've personally maintained my weight loss (and have recently tried to lose more) for 3 years, others have lost anywhere from 20 to well over 100 lbs and have maintained it for many years. No one I know has lost weight and maintained that weight with a "fad" diet or diet pills.
  • This the reason I count calories rather than something that is going to cost money.Calorie counting is flexible, reliable and best of all, free.
  • I agree ... we have to focus on the long term plan, start practicing now how we will be eating for the rest of our lives. That's one of the main reasons I count calories rather than focusing on other types of diets. Because it allows me to still have that piece of chocolate cake one day, that slice of pizza another, etc. It doesn't leave me with the feeling of something being off limits forever.

That being said, I think there is room for supplements or other types of things if one is realistic about them.

I began taking a *diet pill* that claimed it burned calories, was an appetite suppresant, and would give me a boost of energy. I just assumed it didn't burn any calories or help me lose weight faster.

What I do with it most times is I take it right before I work out. The increase in energy usually allows me to spend an extra half hour or so on the bike or whatever I am doing.

It does help with appetite too, but it doesn't remove temptation or replace my own willpower.

I think that is where we get into trouble, when we think that these things will be the only answer, rather than simply a tool.

There is never going to be anything that is as effective and permanent as exercise and eating less.