Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #211  

Tigerseye. I think we've all been there and that's why we're here.......tryng to find a way we can live with and still lose. It does happen but sometimes it takes a little longer. I notice an increase in appetite when the weather gets cooler. It's been so warm this fall that it is slow in coming but it did come just this week. Now if I can just hang in there and remember why this happened. One of the things that has helped me is to remeber how I ate as a kid and young adult. Seems once I had kids (10) I started to cook for them and forgot the things I liked. Now there is only one at home and I still try to cook things she likes but I'm branching out.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Thanks for the Welcome Did you say 10 kids? you are so blessed!

I did pretty well till about a 1/2 hour ago. I started to get a headache and next thing you know im eatting...I guess to comfort myself. I know i messed up and will have to quit doing that. After all...taking advil isnt eatting

I did manage to get a walk in...and im headed to work soon, if that cheesecake is there its goin gin the trash, lol!
Tigerseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #213  

Hi All! I've been gone for a month...school is keeping me busy and tired out. Even with the stress of school starting, I haven't gained any weight back. I've continued to eat what I want only when hungry. It is so crazy when the girls sit around the lunch table calculating their weight watcher points and talking about forbidden foods. It is hard to resist the pull into the whole diet mode, and I don't even try to tell them how I am losing weight as I sit and eat a nutty buddy (or whatever those really fattening little debbie peanut butter things are called). I haven't lost any more weight than my 10 pounds, but usually when school starts I gain back all weight that I have lost over the summer. Now that I really am living IE I'm not gaining! I haven't been running lately, but I have my eye on a marathon in December. When I kick up the exercise, I hope it will kick up the weight loss. I wanted to lose 10 more pounds by Christmas break. It is hard to not get into the whole weighing thing. I need to get back here more often and keep myself sane.
runnin' momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #214  
300+ Chick

Hello everyone,

Thank you Carolr and Spinymouse for the book suggestion,, I will search on those.

From this moment on.... I will no longer devoted my efforts of relying on the scale. I truly believe that it is trying to tell me something of back off or something. I am eating right and staying active and when I taken my final scale peak on Thursday afternoon, I went up back up.. This was not the first time that it happened to me..this second attempt from being at 388 and went down to 335 and back up again.

From reading Geenen Roth book that I have plus Overcoming overeating.. I finally given up on my scale. It reflects my moods alot.

Today my food choices was so-so,,was not on the right mindset,,but I am cheerful that I am feeling lighter.

Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #215  

A tough day yesterday.....big birthday celebration for DH with kids and grandkids.......prime rib and oatmeal cake. Glad that's over. ha! I love the fall so that should help. Such beautiful weather even when it rains.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #216  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I found an interesting article about how Thai food fits into a weight loss plan:

When picking weight loss diets, there are so many choices: Low-carb, low-fat, Oprah's books, Fergie's bars, pre-packaged, mail order, charts, graphs, tables, one-on-one, groups, South Beach, North End, grapefruit, water, meat, starving, see food.

You could also take a step back, and look at a group of people who constantly eat but are predominantly slim. There are 2 things you see on any street in Thailand: they're filled with thin people and they're filled with vendors selling food. Food is everywhere. How can there be more food, but thinner people?

Most westerners don't eat Thai food every meal. But there are a number of easy lessons that come from how Thai people eat Thai food that directly apply to healthier western eating. It's exotic, fun, tastes great and can encompass a whole healthy lifestyle. We'll call this: The Siam Weight-Loss Diet.

- Snack. With street vendors in Thailand presenting readily available food, people at work grab snacks when they are hungry. According to Dr. Weil, regular snacking moderates the blood sugar and keeps you from having the peaks and valleys that causes binge eating. For example, you could keep a basket of fresh fruit or nuts handy to snack on before you starve.

- Fresh Ingredients and Preparation. Since in Thailand, good quality, fresh food is readily available for takeout or eating in the office, there is not much demand for processed foods. Leaves are more commonly a part of a meal. While making fresh food may be a time consuming, it greatly reduces the amount of unknown ingredients in your body and provides far more nutrients for the same amount of food. Frozen food has half the nutrients of fresh, canned has 10. That means you need 10x the pasta sauce to get the same benefits as fresh. Make an effort to make food when you can and you will learn to cook better food quickly. For example the canned staple spaghetti sauce, can be made in 10 minutes from raw ingredients.

- Fruits. Great fruits are everywhere in Thailand and are more widely in demand than in the US. With great fruit now available here year round, choosing fruit instead of chips or other snacks is an easy choice to copy.

- Rice. Because most of cooked rice is water, it fills you up without supplying many calories. While this may sound counterproductive, in a society where people have the tendency to eat too much, it's a successful way to get "full" without the calories. Other similar examples of filling foods include oatmeal and couscous.

- High intensity flavored dishes. Many Thai dishes pack so much flavor per square inch (or cm) that you have to eat them on rice. There's frequently so much salt, hot pepper or other flavorings that eating the dishes by the raw spoonful is unpleasant. The food needs the rice. Since rice is mostly water, all things being equal, there ends up being more flavor per calorie of Thai food. You get the same level of tastes as a western dish without the calories. See how you can mix high flavor foods with low calorie fillers. Generally these high flavor foods are savory. Thai examples are abundant. You could, for example, serve smaller portions of steak and rice, with kim chee, Indian cilantro relish, or a hot pepper sauce.

- No dairy. I love good cheese. However in Thai food, there is no milk, cheese or butter. All calories add up. Coconut milk is perhaps the Thai analogue to dairy, but coconut milk is not nearly as prevalent in Thai food as cheese, butter or cream are in western foods. Ask most western chefs: what's the secret ingredient that makes people love a dish? Butter. What makes western desserts good? Butter. Lesson: pick dishes without dairy. Don't butter every pancake. Try toast with just jam. You'll be surprised what you need and don't need.

- Well flavored dishes don't need fat. In western food, the olive oil, butter or other fat provides a smoothing and filling aspect of many dishes. For me, lasagna with non-fat cheese is inedible. Because the Thai food flavor system's complexity comes from mixing flavor intense ingredients, like fish sauce and lime and hot peppers, there's no need for a fat. If fat is a bottom flavor that pulls spices together, many Thai dishes are comprised of top flavors without need for a bottom. In general, look for dishes that don't depend on added fats and avoid the oilier dishes. If you try this at restaurants, you can always request stir-fried noodle dishes to be cooked with much less oil. Spread sandwiches with mustard or red pepper spread instead of mayo.

- Low in Sugar. Thai dishes are not highly sweetened. For main courses and soups, a little sugar is sometimes added to round out the flavors. Most desserts combine sugar and salt as prime ingredients but aren't just sugary confections. Many desserts are primarily fresh fruit. Many people drink water, fresh juice or soy milk instead of soda. Look for ways to cut out sugars.

- Shared dishes and smaller portions. In the US, most restaurants over-serve their patrons. Frequently, a single dish can serve 2 people. Thai's traditionally share from dishes in the center of the table. It is considered rude to place in your own dish much more than 2 or 3 bites of a dish at one time. Because people don't have heaping helpings, there is no pressure to clear the massive plate of food you took at the start of the meal when you were hungry. You are less likely to overeat. The serving plates also go back in the kitchen or fridge after the meal so if they are not finished, no worry, they can be finished next meal. With the exception of hamburgers, this is a fairly easy behavior to copy.

While following these principles is a great excuse for going out for Thai food, almost all of lessons can be directly applied to eating western food. The one universal point most nutritionists agree on is that dieting doesn't make long-term success, lifestyle choices makes long-term success. By picking a couple principles at a time and incorporating them into your life and then moving onto another when the ones you previously chose are locked into your habits, you'll be the most successful in staying the weight you want.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #217  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I can see how the cultural difference between having it be impolite to put more than a few bites of food on the plate, and how it is here where Aunt Bea feels happy if you ask for three platefuls of her cooking.....would make a big difference!
(I'd sure rather have a few bites of Thai food than a plateful of Aunt Bea's.)
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #218  

That was very good, Fiddler. I have recently been rereading Fit for Life which emphasizes a lot of high water content foods, namely fruits and vegetables. Interesting reading.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #219  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Timely Thai Tidbits

fiddler - I found an interesting article about how Thai food fits into a weight loss plan:

Thanks for the timely input. Went with DW to a Thai restaurant last night, one we've been to several times before, but some aspects were more obvious because of your posting.

1) All the staff were thin, very thin, all of them.
2) Had a cod fish with lime sauce and brown rice. Felt satisfied, but not stuffed. Had never thought of rice as a calorie reducing food before.
3) No oil in either of our entrees.
4) Was so strongly flavored that eating without rice would have been unpleasant.

For me, Intuitive Eating remains a goal for the future. The idea has strong appeal, but execution is still ahead of my current state of healthy lifestyle. But, did have a minor IE success this week. About halfway thru the left overs I'd warmed for my lunch at the office I realized that I was satisfied. Only because of reading about IE did the thought enter my mind to stop and save the second half for tomorrow. So, I did. Yeah

So, maybe there could be IE in my future.

XXXXXXX 7 XX||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 9. 33 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #220  

Looks like I've found the place for me! I lost 50 pounds doing the Weigh Down diet (faith based diet by Gwen Shamblin) about nine years ago. I simply read the book, followed my hunger/fullness cues and the weight dropped off. Now two kids later, I'm back up 25 pounds. I keep trying to apply the hunger/fullness principles but am finding myself failing time and time again. Yet it is the only approach I feel is for me as it really makes sense to me, at the core of my being, that we were created to function this way, not count calories etc. Just wanted to introduce myself and am looking forward to the journey as my goal is to lose 30 pounds!

Christina
farnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #221  
breakfast rebel

Hi Cristina!
I am looking forward to getting to know you here! It's really a good place for encouragement and support.

jo
Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #222  

Here's an exerpt from the latest Beyond Chocolate newsletter.

Q I've read and re-read that bit of the E-course that deals with the stop when you're satisfied principle and I'm not unduly worried about 'wasting' food that I'm too full to eat, but I enjoy eating so much that I really don't want to stop! I think, "Just that last potato won't hurt", even if I'm stuffed! If I stop, I feel deprived - it makes me antsy and moody, and I become a petulant 'life's not fair' child! It's silly, really, because overeating only makes me feel worse in the long run. Any insights on how to work on this principle would be greatly appreciated!

A The key is not to stop yourself feeling like that. Instead, experiment with this: For the next few days, let yourself have it all - just because you want it. Instead of thinking that you should stop and leave food on the plate once your body signals it's had enough, plan to eat it all and really experience what's it's like to give yourself permission to do that. Do it deliberately and without guilt - after all, it's only an experiment and you can always stop it if you want to.

When you've done that, experiment with this: Imagine what it would be like if you just sat there, knowing that you could eat it if you wanted to, and making a choice not to. What do you imagine that would feel like? The discomfort of not eating, of feeling the longing and the deprivation is what we are avoiding by overeating. How would it be to let yourself be the petulant child, just for a few minutes? Have the tantrum, stamp your feet at the injustice of it all and then make a choice to leave the potato! If you are willing to experience that discomfort for just a few minutes you might find that you can move on without needing to finish it all.

Just to be clear - this is not about resisting or telling yourself not to have it, it's about being willing to experience the discomfort of wanting it all and of feeling deprived - whatever that's like - and only for a minute at a time. If you find it too uncomfortable, it's ok to eat. I want to stress this point because it's critical: you don't have to leave the potato - it's not the 'right' thing to do, it's a choice.

A word of caution: don't try to short-circuit the process and go straight to the second part, choosing to say no! You need to have the experience of saying yes first. Only then will you believe that you can have it and that you are really
making a choice.

The more you experiment with both options, the easier it becomes to know that you do have a choice, rather than feeling as if you are just using willpower, and the more often you will find yourself stopping and feeling satisfied, even if there are a couple of delicious potatoes left on the plate!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #223  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Red face Hey Ladies...

Well I am back, life has been hectic, working 2 jobs and just tired. I have been a little lax with my IE and working out, but I am a little more focused. So I am back.

Overall IE helped me maintain where I was, but I think with time I seem to be eating more and more for reasons other than hunger, so I am back. I also joined a challenge to make me ask more often if I am actually hungry.

The scale has bounced around and I actually moved it to my dining room which I never use and weigh myself about every 2 weeks.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but hey to all the new and old, glad to be back.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #224  
breakfast rebel

Hey OBI! We missed you! Welcome back!!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #225  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post