Plat-Toe from Hail!

• (Yes I know, my title is spelled all funny.... but still...Grrrrrr.)

This plateau is mean! Stupid plateau! I'm STILL at 160, & it's been nearly a month now. Other than not exercising (I would LOVE to but can't right now due to herniated disks in my back) what am I doing here?? I log everything into FitDay, and I'm averaging about 1300-1400 calories per day. I drink PLENTY of water (Usually four 32oz bottles per day -sometimes more) and I rarely drink any soda, diet soda or fruit juices (too much sugar!!). Every now & then I indulge in pizza (two slices) but no more than once or twice a month. Sometimes I get a hankering for fried chicken, or an Arby's Beef'n'Cheddar, etc. But really - it's RARE. I am pretty good about sticking to my routine (just easier for me). If I have a "naughty" snack at any given day, it's usually 150 calories or below (like a small bag of Baked Lay's or a single fudgesicle or some regular jello). I really do not stray from my diet much at all.

I've lost 18 pounds since January. I'm on average, losing about 1 pound or so a week. I plat-toed in March & stayed at 165 for a little over 2 weeks, then started losing again. I lost 5 pounds in April, mostly due to not eating much of ANYTHING because I had a bacterial infection in my stomach.

But now here I am.... seemingly stuck at 160. Do you see a problem with my eating? Here's a basic rundown:

Breakfast
    A cup of coffee AND
    A chocolate slim fast OR
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch! cereal w/skim milk OR
    A medium size grapefruit & a slice of whole grain toast OR
    A couple of boiled eggs & a slice of whole grain toast

Mid-A.M. Snack
    A banana OR
    a half cup grapes OR
    a South Beach High Protein Cereal Bar (140 calories)

Lunch
    South Beach Lunch Wrap (220 - 240 calories) OR
    Turkey/Lettuce/Tomato on Whole Grain bread w tsp of light mayo OR
    Veggie Delight on Oat bread from Subway (everything except onions - oil & vinager)
    Raw Carrots, Sliced Red & Yellow Peppers, a few slices of Turkey Breast & a 1/2 cup of grapes

Mid P.M. Snack
    Small piece of fruit such as apple or banana or grapes or orange, etc.

Dinner
    Baked chicken & broccoli OR
    Baked salmon with green beans & slice of whole grain bread OR
    Green peas, red/yellow peppers, broccoli & pasta salad OR
    Regular Lettuce/Tomato/Cucumber salad with mini-shrimps & Kraft Italian Free Dressing

So.... whaddy'all think???
  • I'm not sure what you might be doing "wrong", but why don't you try going back to Phase I for a week? I just did that, because I felt my eating was getting a little out of control, and lost 4 pounds!
  • I know this maybe a little hard but try to cut out your 2 snacks. I know you may get a little hungry but try to drink more water between meals. I don't think that your body will go into stravation mode as some other folks think if you don't eat every two hours. Since you are not exercising there's no reason for you to eat in between meals. Give it a try and see what happens.

With your back injury can you at least walk? If so, then I would start walking 30 min in the morning and at least 30 min in the evening. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
  • I like how that's spelled!
    How about a protein with those snacks? Do you like cottage cheese?
  • Quote: I'm not sure what you might be doing "wrong", but why don't you try going back to Phase I for a week? I just did that, because I felt my eating was getting a little out of control, and lost 4 pounds!
    I've thought about that, & may darn well do it... starting Monday. Well... it certainly couldn't hurt, huh?
  • Quote: I like how that's spelled!
    How about a protein with those snacks? Do you like cottage cheese?
    Only with sliced peaches over it...

So you think I should upgrade my protein during snack time?
    Worth a try! Thanks!
  • If you're not losing at 1300-1400, why not try taking it down by a hundred or so. You're not as heavy as you used to be, you're not able to exercise, these 2 things coupled might with the fact that you haven't lost in a while, might be an indication to bring it down a bit.

I would also add more fiber and veggies. And perhaps some more protein and take away some of the bread products.

Instead of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, maybe try Kashi Go Lean, or Fiber One Cereal - more fiber, less calories. Maybe don't eat the South Beach Diet Bar as it has 140 calories, the banana and grapes have less. Better yet have some strawberries and blueberries, a great low cal/high fiber option. Or a fat free yogurt. Instead of a fruit for your afternoon snack - maybe some low fat cottage cheese and berries, more protein and fiber.

It can be so frustrating at times. Whatever you do, don't give up. Keep on trying different things. It's bound to give at some time. Hang in there.
  • Quote: I know this maybe a little hard but try to cut out your 2 snacks.
    Actually, I kind of FORCE myself to eat the snacks... you know... eating the 5 or 6 small meals per day, as opposed to three meals. And I make sure to eat healthy snacks.
    Quote:
    I know you may get a little hungry but try to drink more water between meals.
    MORE water? I am drinking 128 oz a day (or more!) as it is. I carry a 32oz bottle everywhere I go & I refill it at least 4 times a day. I think I might float away if I drink anymore!

Quote:
    I don't think that your body will go into stravation mode as some other folks think if you don't eat every two hours. Since you are not exercising there's no reason for you to eat in between meals. Give it a try and see what happens.
    As I say... it's worth a try!

Quote:
    With your back injury can you at least walk? If so, then I would start walking 30 min in the morning and at least 30 min in the evening. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
    I can walk, but I cannot "power walk" which used to be part of my exercise program. I can "stroll". That's bout it for now.
  • Quote: If you're not losing at 1300-1400, why not try taking it down by a hundred or so. You're not as heavy as you used to be, you're not able to exercise, these 2 things coupled might with the fact that you haven't lost in a while, might be an indication to bring it down a bit.

I would also add more fiber and veggies. And perhaps some more protein and take away some of the bread products.

Instead of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, maybe try Kashi Go Lean, or Fiber One Cereal - more fiber, less calories. Maybe don't eat the South Beach Diet Bar as it has 140 calories, the banana and grapes have less. Better yet have some strawberries and blueberries, a great low cal/high fiber option. Or a fat free yogurt. Instead of a fruit for your afternoon snack - maybe some low fat cottage cheese and berries, more protein and fiber.

It can be so frustrating at times. Whatever you do, don't give up. Keep on trying different things. It's bound to give at some time. Hang in there.
    Oh don't worry! I'm too determined to give up! And I'd rather stay plat-toed than to GAIN weight again... right?

That South Beach Diet bar has 140 calories and 10g protein! Only 15 carbs. I figure it's a good way to get some protein in a tasty go-anywhere snack. But... maybe not... however, I only eat them once or twice a week. I feel like I'm eating plenty of fruit - I am eating strawberries now that they're in season (had some today at lunch! Yum!) but I'm not crazy about blueberries (too tart).
  • Not to put a damper on your South Beach Diet bar, but I think this is the one thing that was making me not lose weight. I had bought some Kashi rolls (190 cals) and some Fiber One bars (140? cals). I was eating one each afternoon. I thought, "why not?" They are low fat, fairly low calorie, some have high protein and some have high fiber (and some have both!). I haven't had a single bar this week and I've already lost 3 pounds! I can't say for sure that it is due to giving up that bar, but something in my little head is telling me that it is. I'm going to not eat the bars next week, too, in hopes of another pound or two loss.

I agree that the berries are great now! Each morning, I've been starting off the day with a 1 1/2 cup bowl of strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Then after an hour or so, I have a whole wheat English muffin spread with 1 wedge of Laughing cow lite cheese. That gets me through until lunch which is usually a salad with protein in it. Dinner is always hit and miss, but I do try to keep it low cal.
  • This is going to sound really weird, but when I was dealing with a plateau it broke from my eating more (I think.) I was ready to start lowering my calories and then I had an unintentional "splurge." When I went back to my regular 1500 calories and it started coming off again. I think my body had adjusted to the calorie intake that I was at, so it just needed a jolt. I know everyone's body is different, so I don't know if this would work for you. I have read that zig-zagging calories can jolt you out of a plateau too. For the record, I was at plateau for about a month, so maybe you just need to wait it out?
  • Hey zenor77! The funny thing is, you'll never know whether changing your intake did it, or you were due to drop anyway. Just because one thing comes before another doesn't mean there is cause and effect! But who knows?

Beach Patrol, I think you're eating too many calories for your level of exercise, limited as it is. It could be you've slipped into maintenance instead of weight loss. I'd agree with rockinrobin--try dropping your daily calories by 100 and see how that goes.

Don't give up! Hang in there!

Jay
  • Quote: This is going to sound really weird, but when I was dealing with a plateau it broke from my eating more (I think.) I was ready to start lowering my calories and then I had an unintentional "splurge." When I went back to my regular 1500 calories and it started coming off again. I think my body had adjusted to the calorie intake that I was at, so it just needed a jolt. I know everyone's body is different, so I don't know if this would work for you. I have read that zig-zagging calories can jolt you out of a plateau too. For the record, I was at plateau for about a month, so maybe you just need to wait it out?
    I've read about the "zig-zagging" or "calorie cycling" as it's sometimes called. From what I understand, you eat at your normal calorie level for 5 days, then for 2 days, eat about 500 calories MORE than your normal level, and that kind of "jolts" your body into kicking up the metabolism. It SOUNDS interesting, but to be honest, I'm kinda afraid to try it! Afraid I might GAIN weight.... e-gads
  • Quote:
    Beach Patrol, I think you're eating too many calories for your level of exercise, limited as it is. It could be you've slipped into maintenance instead of weight loss. I'd agree with rockinrobin--try dropping your daily calories by 100 and see how that goes.

Don't give up! Hang in there!

Jay
    Thanks Jay! - I did go down to 1100-1200 calories one week... and nuthin' happened. Sometimes I think our bodies are REALLY the boss of us & they do what they want to do. But I'll hang in there! How can I not!?!?!? I wanna get back to "my avatar" look!
  • Quote: I've read about the "zig-zagging" or "calorie cycling" as it's sometimes called. From what I understand, you eat at your normal calorie level for 5 days, then for 2 days, eat about 500 calories MORE than your normal level, and that kind of "jolts" your body into kicking up the metabolism. It SOUNDS interesting, but to be honest, I'm kinda afraid to try it! Afraid I might GAIN weight.... e-gads
    I was afraid to try it as well. But I did. It didn't really make a difference for me. I didn't GAIN any weight, but I didn't lose any, either. So basically when I'd get stuck, I'd just keep doing what I was doing and eventually it would start to move again. I can remember being stuck for a month, like you, and sometimes for a couple of months. It was frustrating, yes, but I'd wait it out and eventually my body would say oh alright! I'll get going again since you're so dang determined!

I agree that your body is the boss! It let's you do what you want to a point, then decides to put a halt to everything. It's like ok, I've let you mess with me long enough, I'm taking a break.

I agree with other suggestions, maybe drop your calories back a tad since you're not getting your regular exercise or even change some of the things you eat. Pretty much that's all we can do is try and shake things up a bit. Eventually something will work