Phase I - Week of April 29 to May 5

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This thread is for new folks, old folks restarting and anybody working on Phase I. Post your questions, concerns and helpful hints in here.

(Remember to join us on the Daily Chat too. There's more to life than dieting; it just doesn't feel that way sometimes. )
  • Hi guys! Day 6 for me and I'm feeling really good! This week has flown by and doing SBD has been effortless. I do have a question, though....I know....shocking, huh? Am I correct in thinking that cottage cheese is considered a protein? I think I've got too much 'diet' info floating around my little head and I'm feeling a little confused about a couple things!
  • Bellaluna,

So glad you are seeing the benefits of Southbeach! Regarding your question about cottage cheese.....on SB, cottage cheese is in the 'cheese' category of foods which is seperate from the protein list. I try to limit my cheese consumption to one cheese item per day as too much cheese can tend to slow down my weight loss.
  • Starting Tomorrow
    Hey chicks I'm Starting tomorrow 5/30 and am so mentally prepared for this! Exercise is going to be an issue though because I have heel spurs that are flaring up right now I can barely walk! Gosh they hurt! Hopefully getting some of this weight off will help them.... Good Luck to everyone!!
  • GirlyGirl - thanks so much for setting me straight! I hope I didn't screw up too much since I just wasn't in the mood for eggs this morning and had the Mock Cinnabun, which I assumed was a 'breakfast thing'. Of course, I had my V8 with it, but that means I didn't have a protein. I guess I thought cheeses were considered protein - duh! Thanks again!
  • Ok, I feel better now.....look what I just found on the SBD Ask the Nutritionist Forum:

(this is only a partial post)

You are correct, cheese is considered a ‘protein’ choice on the SBD. The cheese should have six grams of fat or less per one ounce serving. Cheese intake should be monitored as it has a higher amount of saturated fats relative to other protein choices; you might try limiting cheese to 1-2 oz per day.

Best Wishes,

Scott/SBD Registered Dietitian
  • Fitnessgurl, I have a knee waiting for replacement so feel your pain. However, you can do other exercises. Check out the Exercise Forum. You want to get thos endorphins flowing!
  • Hello everyone! I'm new here and starting on Ph1 again today! So far, so good.

Now...I'm off to make lunch!
  • Wendi!
  • Well, I officially have very little control on the weekends. I was planning to move to P2 today but think I'll stick to P1 a couple more days. We're in a new neighborhood and with the nice weather, everyone's out eating, drinking chatting and it's TOUGH!! I have healthy snacks on hand so I haven't been as bad as I could have been but I've been "sampling" foods a little more often than I should be.
  • Starting Again
    I started South Beach today. Hoping I can hang in there this time.

I have to tell you though I'm pretty hungry right now. It's 4:30 I've had 2 liters of water and 2 cheese sticks a jello and lunch and breakfast. I don't want to eat more. Trying to hold out for dinner.
  • Miamore73! I was hungry on my first two days of Phase 1. By day three, the hunger was gone and hasnt been back. Just make sure you're eating all three meals and all snacks....hang in there!
  • Hi! I'm new here and I have decided to blow the dust off of my copy of South Beach and give it another try. I am one who always wants a shortcut, but after many years of looking for it I have to accept that what I am doing is just not working. Kind of like the definition of insanity!!! I am starting over with renewed determination and focus!
  • Hi Chicks! Back to phase 1 for me starting today. It's like the 5th time I've started since February. I just can't seem to stick with it, however, I seem to be taking less time between falling off to get back on, so that's good! I got the book out a week ago to re-read it. I got 5 pages into it before the kiddos interrupted me and it's still sitting on my table. I *will* make an effort tonight to get at least a few more pages read.
  • I'm back on track and feeling great. Getting ready for my move to P2 ...