Is it true?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Is it true that you should be able to carry on a conversation while working out? If I go that slow it doesn't feel a like a workout at all to me! But if that's the optimum level I wouldn't mind slowing down a bit
  • I always heard that it should be very difficult conversation
  • I've heard that you should be able to speak a few sentences but not hold a conversation. Does this make sense?
  • Quote: I always heard that it should be very difficult conversation
    So, would a serious conversation about ethics or politics count??
  • You should be ABLE to have a conversation but not actually FEEL like having one. Does that help? Or just muddy the waters more? LOL
  • It depends on your goals for that particular workout. Moderate and intense cardio serve different purposes. If you are doing the long moderate cardio, yes you should be able to carry on a conversation. BUT if you are doing HIIT or high intensity intervals, there's no way you can talk.

If a friend is walking on the treadmill, I might start a conversation. But if one is running, I don't. When doing high intensity or running, it's too dangerous to try to focus on something else.
  • I usually can't hold a conversation when working out, but if my hubby comes up to ask me how many sets or how much longer I have on a machine, I can respond in a short sentance. But not more than about 8-10 words.

Sara
  • Since I workout mostly @ home and with my own music (usually), I can say that when I try to sing along with the songs, I can only get a few words out, LOL! I have no interest in a conversation when I am working out, my mind is on other things. I also have asthma and sometimes have a mini attack during a workout, so a conversation is totally out of the question...and no, I do not stop what I am doing. I use the inhaler and slow my pace until the lungs are functioning. If I stopped everytime I had an asthma attack, I'd never exercise.
  • well i always heard you should be able to speak but not sing...
  • Well Nessa, I guess some of us just enjoy singing, LOL!
  • Shoot, I can't even speak for a few minutes after my workout. Kind of embarrassing really. I walked up to someone to ask a question, got their attention and then had to use hand gestures for them to wait a moment until I could get the words out. It surprises me because I wasn't out of breathe or anything.
  • Quote: So, would a serious conversation about ethics or politics count??
    Ok. that was after 2 glasses of wine and this morning, I see your point.

• I definitely cannot talk while I'm doing cardio. I try to keep my intensity high, but I also have really crappy lungs because I smoke so much. Unrelated to smoking, I also can't *think* when I'm doing cardio. I flip through light magazines, but I see people reading novels and grading papers (I live in a college town) and I can't imagine how they're doing it! My brain turns to complete mush!

So no, wyllenn, difficult conversations about ethics and politics are out of the question
  • OMG, I teach at a college and I can not even imagine trying to grade papers while working out!!!!! But now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps it's a goal I should set for myself -- what great multitasking!

But then, I really hate grading, and I don't really enjoy the cardio all that much. Sounds like double the pain!!!! So maybe that's a bad idea!
  • I've heard that if you're able to read books (or grade papers ) you need to be working harder.

One of the things I found hardest when I started running club was the fact that people chatted on the way round. I have a tendency to push myself as hard as I can and do it in silence, but I'm gradually getting to the stage where I can keep up a conversation as I run. When I'm on my own it tends to be no more than the odd grunted "good morning" as I pass people, but it is getting easier to chat when I'm running with other people. It does depend what workout I'm doing though, some are much harder to get the words out in than others!