Another Calorie Counting Question

• Hi all,

There are no good bread bakeries where I live, and I'm starting to crave bread on a regular basis. I've had some success with baking my own bread in the past, and I think I'm going to make some fiberific, multigrain bread rolls to have with my lunches.

Does anyone have a sense of how I should count the calories on yeasted bread? Obviously for most recipes I just add everything up and divide by the number of servings, but I have the sense that since yeast changes the structure of flour so radically, it probably changes the nutritional content as well.

Anyone know?
  • I don't think it changes the nutritional content. If it did, then I think it would be an insignificant amount. I'm also considering baking my own bread again. We have a couple of local sources for really good bread, but baking can be a lot of fun
  • I agree, I don't think the yeast changes the nutritional content, it just adds air. Just add up the calories in each ingredient and divide, just like you would for any other recipe.

Do you have a recipe you want to share?
  • Thanks, ladies. I'll share the recipe if the rolls come out nicely

I usually use Van Over's bread cookbook. He has this food processor method that works really well, for the most part. I've had good luck with the white breads, but the whole wheat and multi-grain breads tend to come out a little heavy. I plan to tinker and we'll see!