Recipes

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Protein Pancake

1/3c dry oatmeal
    1/3c cottage cheese
    1/3c eggwhite
    Splenda and vanilla to taste.

Blend till smooth and cook like a pancake...Makes one large or 2 smaller ones ...
  • Easy Chicken Adobo
    I posted this in the Foods forum, but I like it so much and it was so easy and there are so many different ways you could make the recipe that I've decided to post it here as well. It was also a big hit with my SO (who is not trying to lose weight).

Easy Chicken Adobo
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    24 oz chicken
    3 cloves garlic (or 3 tsp minced garlic from a jar)
    2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp whole peppercorns (or ground pepper to taste)
    1 bay leaf

Saute chicken in oil over med-high heat in non-stick frying pan until browned. Add garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove cover, increase heat to med-high and continue to cook until sauce is reduced (another 10-15 min), stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

4 servings. If made with chicken breasts, each serving is 210 calories each (5g fat, 9g carbs, 33g protein).

You can cut the chicken up or leave it whole. You could use chicken thighs or drumsticks instead of breasts. You could even use pork tenderloin instead of chicken. You could also add all sorts of veggies to it (I add leeks and it came out great). Carrots, onions, celery, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower, greens, etc. would also be good in it (basically any veggie you would put in a stir fry). If the veggies take a long time to cook, you add them in the beginning after browning the chicken. If the veggies cook quickly, add them at the very end, after you uncover it for the final cooking stage. The longer you cook it, the more the sauce will cook down. I cooked it until the sauce was almost completely gone, but if you like a little more sauce, stop cooking a little sooner.

I served it with wild rice, but it would also be good with brown rice or asian noodles.
  • Question........in the protein pancake, is the oatmeal wet or dry?

I wasn't sure if you used just the dry oats.......or actually made up the oatmeal and then blended it.
  • The oatmeal is dry... I'm going to go add that detail to the recipe, because a lot of people ask...
  • I'm figuring out the nutritional info on these too.........not sure about the eggwhites?

1/3 cup oatmeal = 75 cals / 2.5 protein

1/3 cup low fat cottage cheese = 40 cals / 6 protein

1/3 cup eggwhites = ???
  • With Fitday this is what I get, with the nutritional values on the products I use:
    .................................................. .........Cals.... Fat.... Carb.... Prot
    Egg, white only, raw ( 0.33 cup ) .............40 ......0 .......1 .........8
    Ultra Lo Fat Cottage cheese ( 0.33 cup ) ...63 ......0 .......5 .......10
    QuakerLgFlakeOatmeal ( 0.33 cup ) .........114 ......2 ......20 ........4
    Total .................................................2 17 ......2 ......26 .......23
  • Tried this for breakfast today......VERY VERY filling.

1/2 cup Quaker 1 Minute Oatmeal

2 ounces All Bran Extra Fiber

2 ounces skim milk

I cooked the oatmeal with water (in the microwave) then added the All Bran along with milk, stevia and some vanilla, and stirred well.

It smelled like Play Doh but tasted good and filled me up!
  • Quote: Protein Pancake

1/3c dry oatmeal
    1/3c cottage cheese
    1/3c eggwhite
    Splenda and vanilla to taste.

Blend till smooth and cook like a pancake...Makes one large or 2 smaller ones ...
    I love these kind of pancakes!! I've been making them for years and there are tons of variations..

add in 1/3c canned pumpkin with some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
    or
    add in 1/2 a mushed banana
    or
    heat up 1/4 c frozen blueberries in microwave for a min or 2 until they become syrup-like and dump over top of cooked pancake... same for frozen strawberries or blackberries
    or
    add in 1/2 a chopped apple and some cinnamon. the apple gets soft while the pancake is cooking.

I sprinkle splenda on top after cooking instead of putting it in the batter. Tons of possibilities! (I don't even bother with the blender anymore.. just dump in bowl, mix, dump in frying pan )
  • Yuum finally a breakfast I can eat! I'm on the detox stage of the Fat Smash diet... I dont have the book and was merely relying on what I'd heard and I was only eating fruit and vegies, but I did eat potato. Finally I'm so excited to hear we can eat something yum!
  • Black Bean Soup

I made this with all canned veggie because I had them in the house. You could easily do it with dried beans and frozen or fresh corn.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small onion
    1 cup shopped carrots
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 cloves of garlic-minced
    2-3 teaspoons of cumin
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 cans low sodium chicken stock
    2 cans black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can diced tomatoes

sauté veggies in olive oil until onions and garlic are translucent
    add spices and mix cook spices and veggies (like you would a curry) for a few minutes
    add black beans, corn, and tomatoes, mix together
    add stock
    bring to a rolling boil and then lower temp to simmer for an hour or so.

It's really really good the next day and I've found that it's salty enough without adding salt to it.
  • That chicken recipe looks easy.

Question - how many ml in a cup?
  • This isn't really a "recipe" per say, but I had it for dinner the other night and it was sooo good!

Dice/chop and mix together:

Tomato
    Green onion
    Cucumber
    Corn
    Herbs/spices of choice
    Peach or mango
    Olive oil
    Balsamic vinegar to taste

Mix everything together to make a salsa, and serve with grilled fish (such as halibut). Yum!
  • Quote: I posted this in the Foods forum, but I like it so much and it was so easy and there are so many different ways you could make the recipe that I've decided to post it here as well. It was also a big hit with my SO (who is not trying to lose weight).
    We have made this for years, it's SO GOOD! Seriously, anyone who hasn't tried it should do so, you can skin the chicken leg quarters and make an inexpensive dinner that doesn't taste cheap.
  • Quote: how many ml in a cup?
  • I think I have posted a different pumpkin soup before but this is the now famous pumpkin soup!

Pumpkin Soup

1/2 lb fresh carrot (2 large or 3 small carrots)
    1/2 lb sweet onion (roughly 1/2 a large onion)
    2 stalks celery (+ celery leaves)
    2T olive oil
    1T dried parsley
    1T italian seasoning (salt free)
    1/2 T minced garlic
    1 1/2 T chicken better than bouillion** (or veggie)
    3/4 c. frozen white corn (or fresh of course if you have it - about 2 ears)
    30 oz solid pack pumpkin***

+2 cups water or chicken broth
    +cayenne pepper to taste- optional - I usually use about 1/4-1/2t but took it out for the freezer coop -lots of kids.

** I prefer to make my soups with broth rather than bouillion. If you use broth you will need 4-6 cups of broth and may have to add additional salt to taste later. I used "better than bouillion" paste this time to make it freezer coop friendly and that is the second best option. Bouillion cubes are just salt and MSG - ick.

***You may be tempted by the fresh pie pumpkins or butternut squash or acorn squash in the store or farmers market. This soup is awesome with fresh squash. Especially butternut or pie pumpkin (not all pumpkins are meant to be eaten though). One large butternut, 1 small pumpkin or 2 acorn squash would be appropriate. Again, it is soup, a little more or less one way or the other doesnt really matter. Halve your squash (I use a cleaver and a mallet) remove seeds and cook covered face down in an inch of water either in the microwave or oven until soft. Scoop out flesh. Use less water in your soup.

This soup is best pureed so if you have an immersion blender use it!

This is soup. If you have a few carrots or celery stalks more or less, dont worry about it. If you dont have italian seasoning, any blend of basil, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary ,marjoram or savory will do.

Slice carrots, celery and onion. Keep celery leaves and grab a few extra leaves from the center of the bunch.
    Saute veggies in the olive oil until they start to release their juices and aroma. Add garlic, sautee ~ 1 minute, add parsley and italian seasoning and saute briefly. Add cooked pumpkin, corn and broth (or chicken bouillion and water) just to barely cover veggies. Simmer ~30 minutes or until the veggies are very soft. Puree with immersion blender, add additional water or broth to thin to desired thickness.

If you dont have an immersion blender and are using canned pumpkin, leave it out until after you cook and puree the rest of the veggies in your blender. Then add the canned pumpkin to the puree and add additional broth or water and simmer another 15 minutes or so. The longer the canned pumpkin is in with the other veggies the better - make early in the day and reheat.

By the way, with the exception of the white corn which is added to sweeten the squash, the rest of this recipe is what I call "soup base". This could be turned in to just about any soup. Split pea, lentil, even potato - cheddar.