YOU are Fat!

• 1. Everyone has bodyfat, needed to keep one alive. You are just trying to proportion yours to a smaller level/percentage

2.obesity has nothing to do with morality. It doens't make you lazy, mean, selfish. It just makes you overweight.

3.obesity has nothing to do with character. You are not dumb, ugly, or slow. You just have a higher percentage of bodyfat

OBESITY IS NOT PERMANENT! No matter how high you have gone, you can start to slowly reverse the process.

You didn't get fat overnight...now, what if the deal was it took you as long to lose the fat as you gained it. Good deal, right? What if it was going to take you TWICE as long to lose it as you gained it? You'd accept that, too. So keep in mind your reasonable time frame when your goals seem to be taking longer than you'd like.
  • That's a GREAT post Medford. Very uplifting. I see you are fairly new here. Welcome to3fc and the 100 lb club.

I agree with you - mostly.

My only disagreement is that the extra pounds didn't necessarily make me lazy, but it robbed me totally and completely of my energy. So though I was willing to do things - I just couldn't. There were tons of things that I couldn't do because of my weight and lack of energy. One other tiny disagreement. I was selfish. I was totally giving and kind - but I robbed my children of an active mother. I didn't take them to the park when I should have. I didn't take vacations with them that I should have. We didn't take walks. We didn't go bike riding. Horseback riding and on and on and on. I begged off of school functions because of my weight. They deserved to have an active mother and well, they didn't. I had no right to do that. I also scared them - a lot. They were actually frightened listening to the almost daily newscasts of all the added healthy risks morbid obesity brings on. And articles in magazines and newspapers as well. It WAS selfish of me on my part. And I knew it. And you know what, so did they.

I didn't mean to bring down your very upbeat post. I apologize, but for me honesty and owning up has been a big part in my weightloss. I just couldn't let it go.
  • Medford, good post. Thanks for writing it and welcome to the boards!

I can see your point of how destructive it can be to condemn yourself, to feel guilty and to "beat yourself up" as you are trying to get to your goal. You pointed that out very well. While we need to be accountable for what we do (or have done), there isn't a lot of good that comes out of excess guilt and criticism over past actions.

Thanks again!!
  • Good reminder. I think lots of us (me, definitely included) look in the mirror or step on the scale, see our weight & define ourselves as failures based on that one factor.
  • I'm off to the gym now to do my one hour treadmill. Thanks for the feedback. I had a cheat meal yesterday, but a couple of good snacks like eggwhites and an apple. Just need to take my vitamins and amino acids now