Low sodium cottage cheese

• Where do you buy this? I have not been able to find it anywhere. Is it only in specialty stores? Because I do not have access to an of the chains of health food places..Jsut regular grocery stores..
  • I've never seen any cottage cheese labeled as low sodium. I actually didn't realize how high in sodium it was until I read the label last month. I was shocked!
  • I found it at a regular big grocery store here, not a speciality store. It was by one of the usual brands (Friendship, I think). I took 2 bites and threw the rest in the trash--it tasted like flavorless mud, but maybe that's just me
  • Hi, my answer to the high sodium content in cottage cheese is to rinse it. I dump the whole container into a strainer and run cold water through it until the water runs clear. Rinse the container. After the water has drained out, put the cottage cheese back into the container.

I prefer my cottage cheese this way and won't even it it out of the container without the "rinse cycle" first.

I put a little artificial sweetner on it and/or berries to jazz it up a bit
  • chrissy--I can't help but say...eeewww! For me, the ickiest part about cottage cheese is the texture of the curds, and rinsing it would just rinse away all the creamy non-curd part, wouldn't it?

Hopefully, though, this will be a good solution for some folks who do like the curd texture (just not me)
  • I rinse my canned veggies by I hadn't heard of doing cottage cheese this way! I was definitely unaware that it was high in sodium! Learn something new every day - actually, on this site, I learn many new things in one day! Thanks ladies!
  • Jill, I'm with you on the sort of rubbery texture of cottage cheese! I can only imagine how it would be rinsed - shudder. What I do is to stir in a spoonful of yogurt. It really seems to help. (Of course, it really helps if it's my DH's full-fat yogurt which I've resorted to because I'm out of ff ) I've also blended it with my stick blender and poured it over fruit rather than mixing the two together. That helps too. Most days though, I just suck it up and eat it. Don't get me wrong, I like the flavor fine, it's the texture. I have found that I like my store's own brand of lf the best.
  • The first time I tried Friendship cottage cheese, that was my reaction, too. But the taste kind of grew on me. I was really annoyed when the only store that stocked it locally discontinued carrying it. At this point, I eat so little salt that the sodium in cottage cheese really doesn't make a big difference to me.

Mel
  • I amy try the rinsing thing. I actually love cottage cheese. I grew up eating low fat cottage cheese as a snack..I never would have even thought of it as healthy!
  • safeway/vons sells the low sodium cottage cheese (lucerne brand), at least here in SoCal. Takes some getting used to (try lemon juice in it to replace the salt) but now I make a special trip to get mine. The regular stuff tastes disgustingly salty now and you can use the CC in 'sweet' recipes without it ending up too salty.