3+ pound-per-weekers ~ Questions!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm just a lurker looking for some motivation from people who've been extremely successful and fast-paced with their journey (particularly cantforgetthis/Karen & rockinrobin!) I want to thank you so much for being here to inspire us each day with your words of wisdom. I've noticed (based on starting date & weight) that some of you have managed to lose an average of 3+ pounds per week over the period of several months. This absolutely amazes me.

I hope you don't mind, but I am dying to know what this entailed…

- Approximately how many calories did you eat each day?
    - Did you follow a specific plan (WW, calorie-counting, increased protein, etc.)?
    - Were you hungry much of the time, or did you experience any psychological hunger?
    - How much did you exercise during that time?

(Note: Please know that I do realize that "slow and easy wins the race" – this is in no way new to me, as I've been struggling with this since childhood. Along with many others here, I can write a pretty thorough book on what I know about weight loss and specific weight loss plans. Just looking for some inspiration ).

Thanks!

Christine
  • Christine,

I lost 75 lbs in 3 months when I first started so I figured I'd chime in.

1) I didn't count calories
    2) I didn't follow a specific plan but I did basically follow the ideals of South Beach Diet. I ate a lot of veggies, lean proteins, very little fruit and bread. I also ate 5-6 times per day.
    3) I wasn't really hungry at the time because I chose filing foods
    4) I did heavy weight lifting 4-5 times per week for the first month or 2, the 3rd month I added cardio in for 30 minutes, 5-6 times per week

After those 3 months, I basically stalled and had to maintain the weight loss for well over a year before I lost weight again.

This time, I'm exercising every day, weights 4-5 times per week, cardio every day. I'm still not counting calories but I am emphasizing veggies heavily and less grains and meat and no dairy except whey protein powder. I lost 4 lbs last week and I'm hoping I continue on a fairly fast rate
  • Great thread!
    Hi Christine!

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm a turtle when it comes to weight loss speed, so I am VERY interested in hearing the answers to this thread, too!

Cheryl
  • Well I just want to say when I first started out on this venture on September 4, 2006, I actually put the date in my signature because I was getting PM'd left and right wanting to know when, I never set any specific goals as to how much weight I wanted to lose per week. It really didn't enter my mind. Although I knew since I was so very morbidly obese that it most likely would be more then 2 lbs a week. By reducing my calories (to that of a normal level), I would have a much greater deficit then most. I was eating THAT much.

When I first started out I was probably eating about 1400-1600. It varied. I was exercising lightly. I don't even remember for sure, maybe 3 - 4 times a week. And not much at all. I kept on increasing my exercise. I am now up to 7 days a week. I am doing everything I can to avoid the dreaded plataeu. And I count calories, for me it is the only plan that makes sense. For me that is. As of right now, I am down to about 1200 calories.

I haven't been hungry at all. Really. That's not to say that I don't feel like eating sometimes just for, well just the sake of eating.. I eat 3 meals a day, and 2 - 3 snacks. Spaced about every 2 1/2 hours or so. I eat foods high in fiber and protein. And tons and tons of veggies. Tons. I have eaten bread about 3 times since I started this, and very little at that. I eat no rice or anything carby except for my morning breakfast and vegetables. I eat very, very little fruit. No added sugars. I also drink a lot of water. The best part is I don't feel as if I am missing out at all. In fact I feel I am gaining, a healthier, happier and more productive life.

I think the real key to my losing my weight relatively "quickly" and believe me for me, it's really not all that quickly, though I'm certainly not complaining is this - I STICK to my plan, day after day, week after week, month after month. I have veered off very, very few times. I can probably count them all on just one hand. And those "off" days have only been by 300 calories or so. So that really is the key. STAYING on plan. Because it's very simple. If you stay on plan, you WILL lose the weight. I hate to put it so bluntly, I know there are soo many people struggling, (and I am one of them from time to time) but that is really what it boils down to. It is now more important to me to lose (and then maintain) the weight then to eat off plan. I feel any sacrifices are more then worth it. The rewards are that great. And to tell you the truth I don't even feel as if I am sacrificing anything anymore. My father was over for dinner the other night and said to me, after watching me eat, "Do you ever just let loose and enjoy yourself?". And I said to him "Dad, THIS is how I enjoy myself. I enjoy eating like this. I love it in fact. I enjoy not eating any extra or any high calorie foods. I love what it does for and to me." The biggest factor of all is to just decide once and for all just how badly you want to lose the weight. Once you decide that you really, really want to lose the weight then your will power comes into play and the rest is pretty easy.

Christine, I just want to say to you don't worry about the speed of your weightloss. Because like I said it WILL come off if you stick to your plan. It is of course vital that you come up with a plan that you can stick to. Us morbidly obese have one advantage in that it DOES come off quicker, for the most part, IF you change your eating habits and start implementing healthy habits. Good luck to you. Please know that you really and truly can do this. Once you get going the time will fly by and before you know it you will be down 10 lbs and then another 10 and then............ Ahhhh.... It's all good.

Edited to add: I just wanted to add that I do from time to time PLAN on eating some "forbidden" foods. Like at a wedding, party or other social function. I try to eat less all week leading up to the event and that day as well. And then I eat the so called "forbidden" foods in very small portions. That's all I wanted to add - for now.
  • I didn't lose 3+ pounds/week, but I thought I'd chime in too. I lost the first 100 pounds in 55 weeks. My weight loss has slowed, but that's mostly because I have increased my intake and am not really trying to lose right now, but to maintain my 120 pound weight loss. I'm okay with that, because frankly, I've never been this small in my adult life.

I will echo what Robin said: consistency. That doesn't mean perfection, but consistency does the trick. I also don't think you need to be extreme and eat next to nothing, in fact, I think in many cases it's counterproductive.

When I first started counting calories, I weighed over 280 and lost over 2 pounds a week eating 2000 calories/day. At first I didn't exercise much, but that has changed. As I lost weight, I dropped my calories a little, but honestly, I've never regularly gone below 1800 calories/day on average.

I'm currently maintaining this weight, eating over 2000 calories/day. I do let myself eat foods sometimes now that I didn't when I was in "weight loss mode". See above for why I'm not really losing!

I exercise an average of 40-50 min a day ON AVERAGE, usually doing something 6 days a week. I lift weights 3 days a week, do yoga once, and cardio a few times.

I am sometimes hungry. Though it's hard to tell sometimes how much of that is psychological. I do feel less hungry when I eat better.

Now that I'm maintaining, I think this really is something I CAN do long term -- though I do recognize many things may affect my abilities to keep up with it, especially the exercise!

Finally, I just want to say that I didn't focus on trying lose x pounds/week. I focused on being consistent and let the weight loss do what it would.
  • Quote: I STICK to my plan, day after day, week after week, month after month. So that really is the key. STAYING on plan. Because it's very simple. If you stay on plan, you WILL lose the weight.
    Words to live by, rockinrobin. When I don't eat the way I know I should eat, it always shows at the scale, no matter how much exercise I do.

I read all your stats on your siggie for the first time, and noticed that you now wear a size 10. Congrats! I still can't fit into size 10 jeans with any regularity, and I'm 5'9" and weigh a bit less. My last BF measurement was about 24.8, I believe. So what's your secret?? Tell me, tell me!
  • I agree with the consistency thing Also, when I started, I didn't eat out at all for the first couple months. I made all my own meals. I often cooked ahead meals on sunday for the rest of the week. I made eating right and exercising a priority. I also agree with robin in that if you are a slow loser, don't worry because you will get there.
  • Well, I'm only 50 pounds in (in 3 months), but I will echo much of what the others have said.

I'm doing WW, and I'm breastfeeding, so I actually get extra points for that.

This is how I plan to eat the rest of my life, so I have to allow myself some treats now and then - but that's what they are - treats. I also move more - and that's part of the rest of my life too.

I have planned for 2 pounds per week, as I think that's attainable - especially when I was starting out. As I get lower, I know that I might have to adjust that to 1 pound per week, but right now, I'm enjoying the weight coming off at 2 pounds per more every week (usually more).

ETA - one thing I've done is stay far away from fast food. I'm so afraid to be tempted by McDonalds fries, a whopper, etc - that it's best for me to stay far, fary away.
  • Thank you
    Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories. I’ve noticed that you long-time 3FCers probably end up having to repeat yourselves often, particularly for us newer people, yet you never ever seem bothered by it. Us newbies surely appreciate it!

Your stories inspire me. Everyone seems to have done something a little differently, tailored to their own needs. I really struggle with not wanting to feel deprived without “treats”, though I guess I’m a bit of a binge eater because one is never enough, so why even bother? Then again if I don’t have treats, eventually I don’t seem to need them (though I haven’t stuck with it long enough to know if that’s completely true!) You’ve all really given me some things to think about. I got a little teary-eyed reading your posts, I suppose because you’re all real-live, caring people who’ve shown me that this can be done.

And, Cheryl, 80 pounds in 10 months certainly doesn’t sound like turtle-speed to me! That’s wonderful!!!

Congrats to all of you, no matter what rate you’ve managed to JUST DO IT!

Christine
  • my monthly goal is 10 lbs and so far so good, its worked for me and here is the answer to your questions. best of luck.

under or about 1,500 thats for sure. some say its not healthy but it worked and continues to work for me.

- Did you follow a specific plan (WW, calorie-counting, increased protein, etc.)?

iam definetly counting my calories.

- Were you hungry much of the time, or did you experience any psychological hunger?

there was times when i was really hungry but i would just grab a good snack (a piece of fruit or sugar free jello) and mostly it did work lol the other times i did let myself go a little bit but i made up for it by not eating so much the rest of the day.

none. if walking at the store when i would go get my food once a week counts, then just that.
  • Quote: Words to live by, rockinrobin. When I don't eat the way I know I should eat, it always shows at the scale, no matter how much exercise I do.

I read all your stats on your siggie for the first time, and noticed that you now wear a size 10. Congrats! I still can't fit into size 10 jeans with any regularity, and I'm 5'9" and weigh a bit less. My last BF measurement was about 24.8, I believe. So what's your secret?? Tell me, tell me!
    Sheila, for the life of me I can not figure out how I am wearing a size 10. It is still mind boggling to me. Whenever I go shopping (and yay!!!!, it's often!) I take size 12's with me into the dressing room. I look at those itty bitty 10's (to me anyway) and say, no way can that fit me. I always think it was a fluke that I've bought 10"s before. But lo and behold, the 12's are just too big on me. How I wish I would have taken my measurements when I started out. I was so unbelievably W I D E. I really did lose a tremendous amount of my width and hips. In my back and upper stomach and waist as well. The bulk of my weight, this is gonna sound strange, is in my horrible calves. Which really doesnt' affect clothing sizes.

PINUPDREAMS, you wrote that you are eating 1500 calories worth and some say it is not healthy. I'm sorry, but why would anyone say that is not healthy? That IS a perfectly healthy amount of calories to consume as long as they are, well, healthy foods. But you don't want to go under 1200. Our bodies can't get enough nutrients with less then that.

CHRISTINE, it really and truly CAN be done. I was the worst binge, out of control, emotional eater that you can imagine. Horrifying. I literally was eating all day long. I promise you it is possible to reprogram the brain and change for the better. Take your time. Be kind to yourself. Set up a plan. Once you get into it, it is the most rewarding, fun, yes fun, experience you can ever imagine. Good luck!!!!!
  • Quote: I haven't been hungry at all. Really. That's not to say that I don't feel like eating sometimes just for, well just the sake of eating.. I eat 3 meals a day, and 2 - 3 snacks. Spaced about every 2 1/2 hours or so. I eat foods high in fiber and protein. And tons and tons of veggies. Tons. I have eaten bread about 3 times since I started this, and very little at that. I eat no rice or anything carby except for my morning breakfast and vegetables. I eat very, very little fruit. No added sugars. I also drink a lot of water. The best part is I don't feel as if I am missing out at all. In fact I feel I am gaining, a healthier, happier and more productive life.
    Your plan is almost exactly the same as Southbeach! You have added the calorie counting which I think is a very good suggestion. It is too easy to overeat...even with on-plan foods!
  • I started out at 231 at the end of January. My current average is 3.3 pounds a week. I was a size 22. I am 43 years old with three kids: ages 2.13 and 21.
    I am not quite halfway done. I set a six month goal of 175 pounds on DD2's birthday in late January.
    March's average was 871, February was 905- I use Fitday and try to zigzag my amounts ever other week or so. I eat grilled chicken, turkey deli meat, a bit of fish, turkey burgers and eggs for protein. I eat buckets of salads and a grapefruit( big carb) every day. I don't eat bread, rice and junkfood nor candy.
    I am heavy protein with low carb and low fat.My numbers last month were protein 33%, carb 38%, and fat 30%. Normal diets are 10-35 % protein, 45-65 % carbs and 20-35 % in fat.
    Yes, I know that is not 1200 calories a day, every day-but I don't really want anything else to eat. I end up eating a yogurt to at night to get to 870 sometimes. I am taking a vitamin.
    I also think I am getting more vitamins now than what before as I ate huge volumes of pasta, rice, bread, butter and chips. My old life was full of empty calories.
    No- I just changed the what I ate and how I ate . I made several salads up in advance each week so they would be waiting in the fridge. I started measuring salad dressing. The little things really do count.
    I have been out to eat, celebrated birthdays and eaten desserts. You have to plan things and figure out ways to make things work with portion control.
    I get hungry on occasion. It's because I forget to eat my snack.
    Food has begun to mean less to me. I had anger that I had let myself get really fat. I was mad that I used food as a crutch. I saw myself creating food events for my family instead of family events with food. I could eat a ton of food and drink plus a bottle of wine in an evening. I was a pig.
    Quote:
    Horrifying. I literally was eating all day long
    I think of that now and it is utterly gross.
    I took all of this anger and it has fueled my weight loss. Maybe it's just my mid-life crisis-but I am not going to be a fat old lady. I might not turn out like Meg, but she sure is an inspiration.

I am a big fan of Walk Away the Pounds, since I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't a chance to go into town to a gym.
    In Feb I did 71 miles of WATP . In March I rounded it to 100 miles. Right now my goal is to do 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the afternoon for around an hour of cardio(with some weights in there).I usually workout 5 days a week. I am trying to get back into doing Pilates- but the walking is too easy and it has worked.

I think the element of support has been really important to "what is working".I am the only person I know on a diet other than my diabetic Mom. This board, as well as a smaller group, has been so helpful. My diet might not be ideal for you- but being able to share the small victories and bumps on the road has made it sucessful. Just the information on this site has made getting recipes, nutritional stuff and exercise tips really easy.
    Good luck !
  • first, i have not consistently lost 3+/week but i kind of feel the need to post anyway.

i started this on 7-11-05. i was a year out of high school and weighed 310. i had never considered losing weight, never tried to lose weight, and was kind of in denial about how big i had gotten. one day (prompted by a series of "OH SH.." moments) i decided i didnt want to be fat anymore. i didnt know how to lose weight though. so i went to the grocery and bought a bunch of food that was labeled 'diet' or 'healthy'. then i got on the internet (i used and still use a community on lj in addition now to 3fc). i learned all sorts of things. most importantly i learned the 'science' of losing weight.
    calories in vrs calories out. basal metabolic rate. i figured out mathematically how to lose weight and ever since then i count calories.

sometimes i step back and marvel at the fact that it was so easy to lose weight. i thought it was some unattainable thing that you had to buy gadgets for, and be miserable for... but i was wrong. i know you can do it.

as for my specific diet, up until very recently, i would eat whatever i wanted. as long as i logged the calories and stayed under 1800 then i could have sbarros cheese pizza (460 cal) or a hersheys bar with almonds (220 cal).
    recently ive decided i want to eat more fiber and protein and incorporate exercise. so ive (for the most part) cut out pizza and chocolate and replaced it with things like pineapples and kashi cereals. but that was a personal choice and i know i could have continued losing weight the way i was eating before. i just really want to be not only thin, but strong now. and thats a realization thats come to me during the journey, not before....

well i think im babbling so i'll stop now.

just good luck! i know you can do it!
  • Quote: sometimes i step back and marvel at the fact that it was so easy to lose weight. i thought it was some unattainable thing that you had to buy gadgets for, and be miserable for... but i was wrong. i know you can do it.

recently ive decided i want to eat more fiber and protein and incorporate exercise. so ive (for the most part) cut out pizza and chocolate and replaced it with things like pineapples and kashi cereals. but that was a personal choice and i know i could have continued losing weight the way i was eating before. i just really want to be not only thin, but strong now. and thats a realization thats come to me during the journey, not before....
    Watchhershrink, You have a great attitude. I love the fact that you are taking control of your life and your weight at a young age. I certainly wish I had done that, I'm proud to see that someone else is doing it.

Christine, I'm certainly no speed loser, but I hope you wouldn't get discouraged if you don't experience 3+ pounds per week. Time will still go by whether you are losing 3, 2, 1 or less per week. So in a year's time, you could still have lost a considerable amount.