Holy Cow from size 18 to size 2!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, I've been enjoying the fact that my size 8 jeans have been loose for a while. I decided that it was time to trek into the big city and get some size 6 jeans. The idea of moving down to a 6 is exhilarating. I've never worn a 6... maybe when I WAS 6.

So, I go to my favorite jean store-- Buckle where they have an insane selection of Lucky jeans. If you aren't familiar with Lucky jeans, they say "Lucky You" in the fly. I just can't resist that. So, anyway, after trying on a few size 6 that were a bit tight in the thigh, the lady brought me a different cut/style. I tried them on, and they fit great! Here's the kicker... they're a size 2.

The sales lady came back later to see if I wanted the 6 or the 2. Now, that's hysterical. I said, "If I fit in the 2, why would I get the 6?" She had no answer to this question.

I'm thinking ya'll can identify with the complete mystification of fitting into something that has a 2 on the size... especially considering I walked in wearing an 8. Granted, I don't think that I could get into any other 2's. This is just a little gift that floated my way today.

I'm gonna have to take them off at my meeting Monday night to show everyone the tag. Ha!

Size 2. Now that's a miracle. I think I'll wear them everyday for the rest of my life.
  • Hey that's a great story. I wear a size 18 now, down from a 22. Yea! I don't blame you once I fit into a size 2 I will never take them off either.

Way to go!
  • stinger-

Congratulations by the way on moving down 2 sizes! Woo Hoo! That rocks!

I woke up this morning. Looked at the jeans folded neatly and sitting nearby, and am still in dis-belief. The picture of myself in my head is 60 lbs heavier and can't even shop in stores that sell a size 2.
  • Wow - congratulations! I wouldn't even know what a size 2 looked like....... Tiny I'm sure!
  • Congrats girl! Seriously, that had to be such a sexy moment! LOL I've moved from a size 18 to a size 14, and have currently stalled in my weight loss efforts. Never fear, I'll kick that back into gear soon enough. Still, I can't wait for the day I walk around in a size 2!
  • Congratulations on the weight loss! How did you do it?
  • Thanks guys! I'm still in disbelief when I hold them up.

Lisa- You asked how I did it. I'm a member of Overeaters Anonymous. It's a 12 step program for compulsive overeaters. By working the steps, not eating my trigger foods, working with a sponsor, attending meetings, reading program literature, prayer, and posting here... I've been able to live most days of the last year free from the obsession of food.

OA saved my life. I am certain that if I hadn't found the program and commited to it, I would be dead, in jail, or divorced. (or any combination above)

One of the greatnesses of the program is that I am no longer alone. I have the fellowship of my group, the support of my sponsor, and opportunities to share and listen with other compulsive overeaters.

With OA, I no longer depend on self will or self control. Instead, I turn my will over to the care of God.
  • hey marny! I admire you, so wonderful what you've reached! I want to ask you how you manage (and especially managed at the beginning) not to eat your trigger foods? For me it is cakes, ice cream, chocolate - just sugar in general. And besides from big cravings that I get once I go cold turkey I feel so lonely and sad and I start thinking: maybe it's not worth doing it, maybe I'm not a compulsive eater (I was really slim as a child and I never had any problems with food till the age of 19, I'm 22 now). I really want to loose weight and be able to eat normaly just like I used to. But it's so hard. I can't imagine living without cakes and ice cream and all the good stuff. When I think about this I get this very sad feeling and also get angry inside.
    MAybe you could give me some advice.
  • Hey chocolateCinnamon-

What a name!

In the beginning, not eating my trigger foods was really, really, incredibly hard. There was nothing easy about it. My trigger foods, like you, are desserts-- even sugar free ones. I went through withdrawl. It sucked. But after two weeks, my body adjusted, and it's just gotten easier and easier.

I couldn't have done it bymyself. I had a sponsor to call daily, sometimes more when I wanted to eat. I had my OA books to read to get refocused. I had prayer and meditation. I took walks. I also spent a lot of time being angry and crying. I used my OA tools, but I had to feel the feelings too.

I had been using food to stuff my feelings of loneliness and anger. When I was no longer using it, I was left with my feelings. I had to feel them. They don't always feel good. Program teaches us what to do with our feelings instead of eating. We reach out to others, we do service, we write, we read, we go to meetings, we pray.

In the beginning I said an abstinence prayer and turned my food over to God many times throughout the day. Today, I rarely crave my trigger foods. They are the doorway to insanity, and they look like poison to me. Occasionally, I'll become overwhelmed at the sight or smell of cookies or candy. In those times I remove myself from the vicinity if possible. I say my abstinence prayer. And I spend sometime thanking God that the obsessive feelings come rarely now instead of everyday, all day.

When I first started out, if someone had told me that I could never eat dessert again, I would have walked out. I had to decide through "rigorous honesty" with myself, that if I wanted freedom from the disease, then I needed to remove what was making me sick. Also, I only do it one day at a time. Each morning I commit to my abstinence. I don't commit for tomorrow, next week, or next year. I'm just working with today. Tomorrow I'll deal with tomorrow with God's help.

I honestly don't miss the stuff 99% of the time. I don't wish that I could take back all the dessert that I didn't eat over the last year. I don't feel like I missed out on anything. Instead, I've learned how to enjoy a celebration by relating with people. A birthday party isn't about celebrating cake-- it's about celebrating a person. It was a process to learn, but comes very easily now.
  • thank you, marny. it really doesn't sound easy but people like you show that it's possible. hopefully I will belong to those people too some day.
  • Thank you for taking the time to share your struggle. Its very inspirational. I will need to take these same measures, I believe, to maintain my weight loss when I get to goal (again, for the 3rd time!).
  • Marny -

You look great in your size 2 jeans. You are such an inspiration to me! Of course you are going to get the size 2 and not the size 6 because they look better on you! You rock!

Traci
  • Thanks Traci girl-
    It was really fun to have you shopping with me when I tried them on.
  • i feel so happy for you! wow a size 2! you definetly are "lucky" lol. congrats!
  • Quote: They are the doorway to insanity

Wow!! That says it all right there! Thanks Marny, Ive been thinking about going to a meeting....Im going to think about it alot more now.

Congratulations on your success!