Before and after workout snacks..

• I was not sure whether to put this with food or exercise..
    Anyway.
    I know I have heard that soem foods are better to eat before a workout and some after...
    Like a banana is good afterwards..
    SO what is the good stuff for before a workout? After?
    Does it matter the type of workout?
  • I like to eat a carb and protein portion before and after a workout ... Oatmeal and eggwhites about a half hour to an hour before and protein shake and fruit afterwards. I run, weight train and swim and those are my usual meals before and after my workouts... I like to have some protein because this keeps me fuller longer before the workout and aferwards because it rebuilds muscle...
  • I have always heard about bananas..ANd also nuts both for after workouts...
    I am normally on the run after a workout so I kind of need soemthing I can take with me...
  • i Know you are supposed to eat before a workout, but sometimes I wake up and go straight the the gym. Is it better to not eat at all? Or eat something right before?
  • Katie, I think it depends alot on your own body--you have to figure out what works for you. If I plan to go to the gym early in my day, I eat a banana right before going, or on my way there. If I don't eat anything, I find that I don't have the energy to do all that I want to do at the gym. If you can do all your exercise without eating, and you don't feel like eating, then don't My work day is completely flexible, so I like to go to the gym around lunchtime, so that I can eat a giant quantity of food (lean protein, big salad and some kind of carb) when I get home. Exercise makes me very hungry. But you'll be fine as long as you don't try to exercise on a full stomach. I think that's the only real no-no.
  • Katie -- Everyone has a different answer to those questions. Some can't workout at all on an empty stomach, some can eat just before going out the door. I think the one that is better is the one that works for you...

Edited to add: I was just reading up on it ans there are some studies showing that doing cardio on an empty stomach is more effective for fatloss.
  • thanks girls

I never have an issue with having enough energy when I don't eat before exercise, so it's working for me! I do get hungry after exercise, but at that point it's time for breakfast and I eat a sensible one. and if working out on an empty stomach makes for more fat loss, all the better!