Exercise - Older and Tired?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Allison, maybe you can try to work something in at lunch too.
    As much as I'd love to work something in on my lunch "break" it just isn't going to happen. DH and I own and run a contracting business. Someone has to be around to answer the phones, so my lunch "break" consists of sitting in DH's office, eating our salads and going over the daily problems and me answering the phone between mouthfuls. I stay in the office so our employees can go out and take a real lunch. On Fridays, DH and I actually get away for a real lunch (it is our "date" lunch!).
  • You own a contracting business? I worked as a construction secretary for about 12 years when I lived in Cincinnati. I worked for two different General Contractors and really enjoyed the work. Quite interesting. Do you answer the phone all the time? If not, maybe when your other employees get back from lunch you could sneak out for a 20 minute walk or something. If not, you talked about joining a gym. Now I am really not gym material but I do have a room in my home where I have a treadmill, recombent bike and a weight bench. (although I have trouble using them). Anyway, maybe you could invest in a piece of equipment for your home and then you wouldn't have to go to the gym. You could just work out when you find time.

Listen to me....I'm good at giving advise but I don't listen to well. I'm gonna try though, and I hope you do too. Maybe together we can do this thing!
  • Allison -- You mention when you get home after work, you don't like to go out again, when I was working full time I would pack my bag in the morning, NOT come straight home but go straight to the gym... Another thing too is that you have to find something you LIKE or LOVE to do... Sometimes formal exercise isn't the key, it's mountain climbing, playing baseball with a ladies team, whatever strikes your fancy... Just a thought...
  • Quote: You own a contracting business? I worked as a construction secretary for about 12 years when I lived in Cincinnati. I worked for two different General Contractors and really enjoyed the work. Quite interesting. Do you answer the phone all the time? If not, maybe when your other employees get back from lunch you could sneak out for a 20 minute walk or something. If not, you talked about joining a gym. Now I am really not gym material but I do have a room in my home where I have a treadmill, recombent bike and a weight bench. (although I have trouble using them). Anyway, maybe you could invest in a piece of equipment for your home and then you wouldn't have to go to the gym. You could just work out when you find time.

Listen to me....I'm good at giving advise but I don't listen to well. I'm gonna try though, and I hope you do too. Maybe together we can do this thing!
    We're actually sub contractors. We own a glass business and specialize in high-end custom homes. The one we're finishing up right now is 30,000 square feet! We have over 20 employees and we're in the middle of about 40 different homes at any given time. I just lost one employee who is moving out of state, and DH and I are in the process of buying out our current partners, so to save money, we probably won't replace her and I'll be taking on more of what she does. It's a small office but I don't like closing up for lunch. We stagger our lunches as much as possible, but often I'm alone during those hours. And I do have a piece of equipment that is currently gathering dust!!!! I just have motivation problems!

Quote:
    Allison -- You mention when you get home after work, you don't like to go out again, when I was working full time I would pack my bag in the morning, NOT come straight home but go straight to the gym... Another thing too is that you have to find something you LIKE or LOVE to do... Sometimes formal exercise isn't the key, it's mountain climbing, playing baseball with a ladies team, whatever strikes your fancy... Just a thought...
    That would be a good idea if DS didn't mind hanging out at the gym with me. I'm still trying to get my butt over there to inquire about a family membership, but he may be too young to join. I think they have to be in in high school and he's only 6th grade. Then I'd also have to educate the family about their role in helping with dinner! I dislike having to rush through dinner prep but asking busy kids to help often doesn't work. They're usually busy finishing homework every afternoon and evening. DS helps the most often.

Anyway, I'm planning this weekend and DS isn't in school next week, so I might be able to fit something in.
  • I hear you on the motivation part
  • I am one who absolutely will NOT be working out before work (plus the elliptical in our room would wake up DH) and after work I'm also tired and just want to eat, spend time with the baby, clean up, relax a little, and get to bed.

I don't think there's reason to push ourselves if its too hard, tiring or inconvenient to squeeze it in. However, exercise has got to be done to lose weight and stay in shape (and be heart healthy). I do all my cardio on the weekends or on days when I work from home (plus I get Fridays off as well). On home days, I'll work out between an hour and hour and 45 minutes, sometimes splitting up the sessions so I can accomplish things in between working out. Sometimes its so hard to squeeze in the time, but I make sure to do it. I must admit, before I got my home elliptical (a nice high quality one) I was constantly feeling guilty about not working out enough. Now I'm burning almost 2000 calories per week on that thing. I haven't been to the gym in about 3 weeks. I always intend to go to the gym 3 or 4 days a week at lunchtime (its right across the street from my job), but I usually just manage 2 if I'm being good (less if bad like lately).

Bottom line, its not worth over stressing ourselves when we dont feel like doing something, but its got to be done at some point when there's more time, like on the weekends. And it might take 2 hours if you haven't done anything all week.
  • Mami, I think you and I are kindred spirits
  • I hate exercise with a passion. I have never been able to understand people who say they love to work out - I always secretly think they're lying

I work long hours in a very stressful job. At the end of the day I don't even want to cook much less work out. I've learned to get around the cooking by only spending two or three days a week (usually the weekends) preparing meals I can warm up. But about once a week I cave in and order Chinese takeout.

When it comes to working out I had a realization. It's not about pushing yourself so hard you're sore and miserable and dread every workout. It's about being active in a way you can maintain. Even if it's just a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood, that walk is better than giving up and not doing anything at all.

I'm trying really hard to embrace a healthy lifestyle and just have to take it one day at a time. Good luck to everyone!