Losing Steam

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I just finished my fourth week of working out and trying to eat right while I do the BFL. I'm starting to see progress, but this week has been really tough because I feel like I'm losing steam. All of my motivation seems to be slipping away. I don't necessarily want to eat fast food, but low cal/fat free desserts are starting to slip in, I think about skipping the gym, etc. Knowing myself this well, I can tell these are precursors to the big slide. I'm also a few days before my TOM. I'm hoping this is normal hormone fluctuations and the great charged up energy will come back as long as I don't stop. Am I normal here?
  • I think it's pretty normal, that once the newness wears off, we are not so gung-ho on diet and exercise, you know what I mean? Well, I think we all feel that way sometimes. It doesn't mean you're about to take the big slide downhill. I have been doing this for 7 weeks now, I am on my second plateau due to TOM, and I have not had much trouble with the eating, but I find myself not wanting to do my walks in the afternoon, when a month ago, I looked forward to them. But, I make myself go, and I always feel better afterwards. I come here to find support and get motivation by reading what others have to say, and knowing that I am not alone, that many feel the same as me, and find something in themselves that keeps them going. I try to do the same.

As for for the eating part, and craving fast food and treats or what not, as long as they're reduced fat, calorie, or sugar free or whatever, then there is not much harm in eating a little of those things often. But as for the bad stuff, I tell you what I do. About once or twice a month, I allow myself what I call a cheat day. One day set aside to have a little of the bad things you crave that you should not have. It is a planned day. (My next cheat day will be my birthday, this Wednesday). You're doing good so far, and you don't want to blow it, so don't go overboard, and eat a ton of junk food. Allow yourself just enough to get all those cravings out of your system, that's all. Then get back on the wagon the very next day. DO NOT let in go on for more than 1 day...

If you feel it's too risky for you, than don't do it, but this is what I do when I start craving the bad stuff really bad. I will eat that fried chicken or that burger that I have been wanting soooo bad. Then, the next day, immediately go back to eating healthy. I find that it helps me keep on track, and it actually helps me stick to my diet. But that's me. I can get up, dust myself off, then get back on the wagon without feeling guilt. Not everybody can do it that easily.

How many of you ladies do the very same thing?

You're doing great! Don't give up... You're reward will come in the end with good health and a lean sexy body....

Hope this helps,

Heather
  • Hey there!

Everyone is different. Yes, it's easy to lose enthusiasm and motivation after some weeks. That's when commitment has to be there. Do you have what it takes to keep going? Are you serious about reaching your goal?

As for me, so-called "cheat days" only cheat me. A day too far off plan will stall my weight loss for a week. That doesn't mean I don't have the foods I want, but it does mean I plan for them and fit them into my calorie budget (since I'm a calorie counter). Or, I pay the price in seeing no weight loss.

Most fast foods have way, WAY too many calories at once. Just as one example, a small fries at BK has 230 cals, which is as much as most Lean Cuisine meals that actually have some nutrition.

So, I hope that after only 4 weeks you'll stick with your plan--give it some time--don't give up! And find a way to see some positive results to help you stay enthusiastic.

Good luck!
    Jay
  • I've slipped quite a few times during my weightloss journey - a lot of it has to do with lack of variety. I was doing the same workout day after day and eating practically the same thing too. After I varied it a bit so that I'm eating and exercising differently every day of the week, I didn't feel as bored or unmotivated by my program.

Hopefully that can help you out too!
  • KylieH, I understand where you are coming from. I had a bad few days last week and didn't feel motivated at all but I made myself still walk to work, though the temptation to catch the bus was very great. I was really proud of myself afterwards and glad that I hadn't given in to temptation.

At least we are all on similar journeys and feel the same at various stages. That in itself makes me feel more encouraged to keep going. This website is a gem of a find and I'm so happy to be with other people who are willing to share their stories and to support each other
  • I really appreciate everyone's comments and encouragement. It feels so good to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this! Jay's comment about what "cheat days" really mean and AquaWarlock's about the need for variety really hit home. I can't stress enough how wonderful this site is and how helpful everyone has been to me.
  • I'll bet you don't consider yourself a Featherweight but we'd love to have you join us.
  • Remember to forgive yourself too if you do wander off. The biggest lesson I've learned since joining here is that a few "blown" days cannot undo a month of good work. This was the biggest problem that I have had over the years - that if I wander off plan that's it,might as well give in. I'm relatively intelligent (I think!) but when it comes to food stuff i'm downright thick.

Anyway, we started off at about the same weight. After 5 weeks i just wandered way off course for about a week and then I stalled at 152 for ages. You've just got to keep trying and eat right more often than you don't. I know I'm in for the long haul. I'm not one of those people who can set a goal and just get on with it. If I meander my way to 130 by Christmas I'll be OK with that. You've just got to keep trying!
  • My motivation ebbs and flows too. I don't give myself "cheat days", because I think I would end up treating it as a free pass to eat everything in one day that I turned down during the rest of the week. What I aim to do (some weeks with greater success than others!) is to plan a treat per week, but try to limit it to that treat. Then I try to make sure the quantity is controlled (ie. no eating ice cream out of the container!), and I eat it with people, rather than alone (tend to be bingey if I don't watch it). Then I get right back on program immediately - if I don't, it has the potential to end up in a 3-day food-fest, which would show up on the scale. One treat per week is not going to make a noticeable difference to my weight loss, yet I don't feel completely deprived.
  • Featherweight?
    Quote: I'll bet you don't consider yourself a Featherweight but we'd love to have you join us.
    I saw that category list the discussion list but I didn't know what it meant. Actually, I think that and the lift group are a good fit. Thanks for the tip, SusanB!!
  • Doughnut, I think you nailed it perfectly. I've been so conditioned over the years to think in terms of defined time periods, such as how much I expect to lose in a month, two months, etc. That's so self-defeating because this whole thing, like others mentioned, is a life change. Between the wonderful people on the board and trying to do something physical each day, I'll be able to make and sustain a change for the "long haul."
  • I wasn't suggesting a 3 day food-fest pig out. That's a good way to blow a diet. But for me, I do give myself like one day a month where I can eat a few things that I won't let myself eat otherwise. In moderation, of course. Not enough to sink a battleship, not enough to throw me off plan. I work it into the day's calorie intake, but I don't beat myself up if I tend to go a little high on that particular day. Maybe I might cut back a little in the days that follow. One day, once in a long while, will not make or break a diet. Day after day after day will. And my "cheat day" is always a planned day, not spontanious. If we had spontanious days like this, we would just allow ourselves to do it on every whim. NOT! That's one step away from blowing a good diet. I don't do that. In the 7 or 8 weeks I have been eating right, I have had 2 cheat days, one of which was Mardi Gras day... and I think I ate a few chocolates on Valentines Day.

My next "cheat day" is on my birthday, day after tomorrow, and I am going to eat Crawfish Etoufee and Fried Shrimp that I requested for my birthday (yummmm). And I will eat one ot two brownies from Keller's Bakery that I also requested. I may eat small for breakfast and lunch that day, save my calories so that I can have these things I want. I have been really good all month long, I think I deserve it. This is my plan, and when it's done, it's done. Back on track come March 29. I will not let myself feel guilty...

As for Easter, I don't know what we have planned, or whether eating bad stuff (candy or fattening foods) will even be an issue.... We sometimes cook a big dinner for Easter, not sure about this year..
  • Happy birthday soon!!
  • thank you....
  • See, in my book that's not a "cheat," Heather. "Cheating" is when someone sneaks out and eats high-calorie foods and doesn't list them in their daily intake, tries to pretend they are still on their program and that it doesn't count. Planned eating of special treats isn't the same. So it's really just a terminology issue for me.

Happy birthday tomorrow!

Jay