Nutrition facts on vegetarian egg roll

• I occasionally shop at this organic market down the street. In the refrigerator case they sell, among other things, 'egg-free vegetarian egg rolls' and they taste really good. They are made by 'Sunneen Bakeries and Health Foods' in Allentown, PA.

I like to eat them as a snack or lunch once in a while. They are a great Chinese food substitute (I haven't eaten real Chinese food since August). However, I'm not sure if eating them is helping or hurting my diet. It *feels* like I'm eating junk food when I'm eating them, even though I make sure to fit the calories into my day's total.

Here's the ingredients/nutrition breakdown:

Ingredients: flour, water, wheat gluten, salt
    Stuffing: cabbage, celery, carrots, soy oil, salt and spices

Calories: 210
    from fat: 80
    Total fat: 9 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 30 mg
    Total Carbo: 25 g
    Fiber: 2 g
    Sugars: 4 g
    Protein: 6 g

And there's also a tad of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and iron.

According to the nutrition facts, is this pretty healthy? Or should I stay away (because of too much fat etc)? Thanks a lot. I'm still learning how to judge a food by its nutritious value And I know that just because I buy it at the organic market doesn't automatically deem it 'healthy.'
  • The calories are relatively low. The sodium is low, which is usually not the case with prepared foods. OTOH, the fat is high as a percentage of the total calories.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here. Part of figuring it all out is figuring out how YOU want to eat, what is worth the calories and what isn't.

FWIW, I'd eat it.
  • Thanks- I know you're right. I'm sometimes overly paranoid about unwittingly sabotaging myself. The key is moderation, just like everything else in life.
  • Quote: Thanks- I know you're right. I'm sometimes overly paranoid about unwittingly sabotaging myself. The key is moderation, just like everything else in life.
    Exactly.

However, I've found Chung's egg rolls at my grocery store (in the frozen section) that are only 160 calories each.

I love egg rolls and still eat them on occasion with lunch.

Sometimes the seemingly "healthy" stuff is higher in calories than the alternative. For example, I love the Boca (and Morningstar Farms products) but the "organic soy" varieties have more calories than the "regularly made" selections.

Needless to say, I still buy the regular ones.