This Week's Healthiest Food - Lamb?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

I'm a little surprised at this.
  • Lamb is one of those meats I either love or hate. No cheap lamb for me, and I think I dont like the fattier cuts. I have a wonderful recipe that I make with a mint vinaigrette.
  • I despise lamb. When I was a little kid, maybe 11 or so, my mother made lamb chops and I refused to eat them. I don't remember why. Maybe it had to do with that song. You know Mary and stuff. Anyway, she would not let me leave the table til I ate it. Well I sat there for hours, I finally volunteered to throw out the garbage, and she fell for it. So there went my lamb chops. The odd thing is this was soooo not like my mother. She never really forced anything on us. I tease her about it to this day. But I still won't touch the stuff. My MIL makes it and even the smell makes me almost puke. She also makes tongue and calves brains that make me want to do the same thing. Why oh why couldn't I have felt that way about, I don't know - bread, pasta, chocolate, ice cream and the list could go on and on.

LLV, I'd sooner eat last weeks' healthiest food, grapefruit, then lamb. And if you remember, I said I never eat grapefruits, just don't like em. But they are a heck of a lot better then lamb, IMO of course.
  • I love lamb. We are serving it at the wedding. Mmmmmmmmm.
  • Quote: LLV, I'd sooner eat last weeks' healthiest food, grapefruit, then lamb. And if you remember, I said I never eat grapefruits, just don't like em. But they are a heck of a lot better then lamb, IMO of course.
    Ditto. And I won't go into the reasons why I won't eat it. But they're not as nice as yours, LOL.

I was just a little surprised to see this on the WHF list.
  • I can't eat lamb either, except in gyros. If you grind it up and mix it with beef, form it into a big hunk of meat, and then rotisserie it on a stick in a street vendor's cart, I'm all for it. But that's probably not what they were thinking about when they made it this week's healthiest food.

But eating lamb roasted, stewed, etc. just doesn't work for me. My SO recently had some sort of lamb stew at our neighborhood Afghani restaurant; I tried one bite and almost had to spit it out. He said the stew was really good, though, so I guess it was just me. This is really unusual for me; most foods that I don't like I can choke down if absolutely necessary, but not lamb. Partly it's all that fat in it. I can't stomach fat, so I have to eat meat that is very lean and where what little fat there is on it is easily separated from the meat. Consequently, I eat a lot of chicken and fish (and vegetables--no fat on veggies!).

I also have a horrible childhood memory of being forced to eat lamb. But my mom had breaded it in some sort of disgusting floury substance that came out all soggy. It was like eating lamb coated in soggy...well, I don't know what. It was worse than soggy bread. Soggy, uncooked bread, maybe. I swear, some of the stuff my mom made...
  • Quote: I can't eat lamb either, except in gyros.
    I love those things!
  • I really like lamb but usually in saucy indian food so that isn't exactly healthy

I have only cooked lamb myself once and that was when Trader Joe's had it and an easy recipe for it.
  • I love lamb. I fell in love with it when I was New Zealand. I have never made it myself however I think I should try too. Maybe next time i go shopping I'll pick some up.

I am very suprised to see it as one of the WHFs?
  • The only place I've ever eaten lamb is at my grandma's house and that was to be polite. Something about picturing that cute little animal and hearing its bleating just gets to me. Don't know why I don't have trouble with beef though or chickens! Don't ever pick veal as this weeks healthiest food though, 'K?
  • Linda,

I actually have that problem with Buffalo. I think they are cute animals, whenever I tried to eat them, I'd envision them. I think cows are cute too but I also think they are delicious...
  • I love lamb- roasted, grilled, stewed, chops, leg of...but I also like buffalo! And rabbit. Do you know how lean and tasty rabbit is?

Mel
  • Quote: I love lamb- roasted, grilled, stewed, chops, leg of...but I also like buffalo! And rabbit. Do you know how lean and tasty rabbit is?

Mel
    THUMPER!!!!
  • I've tried rabbit a couple times, didn't care for the taste either. And I didn't have visions of bunny rabbits running around.
  • I find that if you have problems with the TASTE of lamb (rather than the cute factor...), you need to try buying it at either Costco or Trader Joes. Both have lamb without the gameyness that lamb can get sometimes. I have NEVER had gamey lamb from either of those places.

My lamb recipe (which the caterer is making at the wedding on my request) is NOT low calorie, but it IS delicious, and actually if you rotisserie it, a LOT of the fat melts off....but its hard to calorie count. Basically, you take a stick of butter, 6 cloves of garlic, and the leaves off of two big sprigs of rosemary, plus a 1/2 tsp of pepper and some salt, and you puree those in the food processor. Then you pack that mixture all over a semi-boneless leg of lamb, stick on a rotisserie (or in the oven on a baking rack, or for ultimate decadence, in the oven on some yukon gold potatoes which get all of the buttery goodness in them...drooooool) and cook to medium rare. Oh, its like heaven.