Diagnosed with Rosacea

• I was diagnosed with Rosacea today.

Ive had a rash on my face for months on end and it wouldnt go away. I thought at first that I had acne. I had considered ordering Proactive to see if it would work. Im glad that I didnt waste my money. I have been trying all kinds of creams and cleansers trying to get rid of it and makeup to cover it up. None of it worked.
    The dermatologist prescribed Tetracycline and Plexion cream to rub on my face. He also gave me some Triamcinolone cream for the eczema on my hands.
  • I've had mild to moderate rosacea for years. I finally had to give up wearing makeup altogether because it only made it worse. I recently had a few bouts with what seemed to be impetigo, but turned out to be seborrheic dermatitis (which also causes most dandruff). The dermatologist gave me a steroid cream to use for 6 weeks, and told me to wash my hair and face with dandruff shampoo cotaining pyrithione zinc.

Surprisingly the shampoo cleared up my rosacea as well (though I see Plexion is used for both seb derm and rosacea, so maybe there is a connection in treatments).
  • Oh, Anita, I know how bummed you are right now. I was diagnosed with it about 5 years ago. I initially took an antibiotic and topical treatment that helped get it under control. I'm lucky in that mine is fairly mild and I have only had to take antibiotics a few times in those 5 years. I use a topical lotion (Klaron 10%) once or twice a day on my face and neck.

Don't let people scare you (like old crotchty pharmasists) it doesn't have to be a horrible thing to have and it also doesn't have to get worse over time. Do what your derm suggests and keep up with it. If you feel like it's getting worse go back to your derm. There are lots of medication options so you should be able to find one that works for you. Don't become complacent if you feel like it's getting better. I did that and had a flare up that set me back and I had to take antibiotics again. Not worth it. Keep a journal of when you have flare ups so you can learn what bothers your skin to be able to avoid your triggers. I don't have food triggers that bother my skin, nor do I seem to be bothered by heat or cold. Everyone is different so you'll have to figure out what's best for you.

Here's a great website that you might like to check out:
    forum.rosaceagroup.org (no www at the beginning)

Good luck,
    Beth
  • Thank you for asking the question and everyone for the suggestions. I have just started to notice flare ups every time I exercise. I will try the dandruff shampoo to see if it helps as mine is not so bad as the scary stuff you see on the internet. I was considering going to the Doctor for it and then it disappeared for a couple of days. But it comes back every time I work out really hard.
    I will check out the forum and see if there are any other triggers that I might have.
  • Im glad to see that Im not alone.

Mine gets worse when I get stressed out or hot. Exercising, showering, warm temps and etc...

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the dandruff shampoo and check out the website.