Grrrr....slightly annoyed with my COD

• I don't post often here, but perhaps often enough that some folks might remember that I am at a plateau. I joined LAWL in July 2006, had to go inactive from mid August to October as I became pregnant (but miscarried), and got right back at it in October. In November I joined a gym and began working out four to five times per week. My workout is being developed by a personal fitness coach (PFC) who also specializes in nutrition counselling. I do 20 - 30 minutes of cardio every time, along with another 30 - 40 minutes of weights to shape and tone, core strength training and stretching.

I have been on purple with lites this whole time, and have not really seen a loss since December. I am definitely losing inches but have been stuck between 185 and 187 for the last 8 to 9 weeks.

My PFC reviewed my menu plan the other day. She suggested that what's happening is that I am not getting enough protein and complex carbs, so my body is storing what I am getting because it needs it to support my workout regime.

I went to the COD yesterday to talk to them about it. They have been planning to put me on gold once I hit 183. I don't have all the specifics about each plan, but understand that gold has reduced amounts of food. I told the COD about the talk with the PFC, and asked if I could have a plan that would increase slightly my protein and carb intake. They called their nutritionist and when they got off the phone said "sure, we'll put you on blue which gives you 1 more starch and 1/2 a protein".

I was delighted! Until I sat this morning to plan my menu and discovered that yes, I get an extra half protein but the portion sizes have been decreased. So in fact, I have been reduced in protein! Whereas I used to be able to have (for example) 16 oz of chicken per day and count that as 2 protein, now I can have 15 oz and count it as 2 1/2 protein.

Grrrrrrr. I feel totally not listened to and actually slightly dissed! I feel a bit as if they thought I might not clue in to it and just get fooled by having an extra half circle to colour in every day.

For now, I'm going to follow the portion sizes in purple for the protein and see what that does for me in 2 weeks.

Any advice? Sorry for the long vent!!!
  • Did your PFC recommend how much of the protein and complex carbs you did need to support your workout schedule? If you are working out the way you are I personally think Gold is not enough food.

I would ask your PFC what they recommend and bring that in to the COD and see what they say....

Just a suggestion...
  • When I was on LAWL last time. if I was working out more than 5 hours a week they put me on Red plus...... no matter what weight I was. do they know how much you are working out? you might try telling them that you work out more than 5 hours and see what they say. Red plus has a ton of food!

I have also had problems with them and the complex carbos. they told me to eat them sparingly. the rice, potatoes, etc... and instead to eat more of the bread, cracker type stuff. to me that seems backwards. should I be focusing on the complex and not the refined?

If they don't put you on a play for over 5 hours of exercise, I would try asking your PFC to make a menu plan for you. follow it, and just wright down what will make the COD happy. and just see if it makes a difference.

one other thing I do sometimes to get more protien is to get a good protien powder. and just put some in things. if you make muffins, put in a scoop, if you have oatmeal, put in a scoop, stick some in your smoothies or what ever,. anything you can put a scoop in just mix some in to boost the protien.

keep us posted I hope you can get it worked out
    Lettie
  • Sandy,

Out of curiosity, what center in are you going to? (thought you'd said Cole Harbour, but can't remember) I go the one on Bayers Rd, really don't find them that helpful. There's really only 1 or 2 girls there I trust and seem to know what they're talking about. I've heard they're really good at the Bedford site. Considering going there once a week.

I've been losing and gaining the same 3 lbs since Christmas. Part of it is my fault. I'm bored with the program and just plain tired of having to prepare something for EVERYDAY. Living by yourself for many years gets you very acquainted with local cuisine and also very creative with PB. I've also had some stress the past coupe of weeks that our COD's are not equipped to handle (unless someone in there has a PhD after their name, but I don't think so). But I'm back on track now.

Sorry for the babbling, I tend to do that. Anyway, send me a personal message if you are interested in getting together for coffee or something. A few of the girls at work are on the program, but its always nice to meet someone with different ideas.

Keep your head up, it'll come off.
  • Hi Barb:
    Yep...Cole Harbour. I love the staff there - find them all very good, but this just annoyed me. I think I'm moving into the same head space as you are - bored - but I can't afford to go there yet. I'm still carrying far far too much weight to be getting bored and complacent! I'm going away for a retreat weekend this weekend and am going to try as much as possible to stay OP. I think they meant to put me on red, not blue, from what I read here. I'll have to ask them but it's going to have to wait until I get back there on Monday now.
    Sandy