Is this just awful - or not?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I always clean my plate. I don't leave a crumb behind. Not because I think I have to, but because I like to, even if I'm no longer hungry. In the old days, all right let's not even go there. The only meal where it's really a semi-issue would be dinner. I never get stuffed anymore. Certainly not with my breakfast or my lunch or my snacks, so the thought of not finishing is not an option. I am satisfied and have no hunger pangs. I've learned to recognize the difference. But sometimes at dinner I fill up my plate and I AM full before my whole allotment for dinner is finished. I count calories and I am not going over my calorie limits. But it's still something I haven't mastered, leaving behind some food. It really has nothing to do with wasting, because believe me if there's some forbidden food in the house that's getting to me I will not hesitate to chuck it in the trash.

I almost feel as if I'm entitled to eat it all, even though no longer hungry because I've planned for it's within my calories for the day. Nevertheless should I still be eating even though I am full? I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this and see if there is anyone out there like me. Thanks ladies.
  • I catch myself doing this. SImply out of habit, no desire for the food, I'm not hungary, but it's there, it's accounted for, may as well eat it. I also have a big problem with bringing dinner to the table and serving it like that. I find for me, it's better to leave the food on the stove and get my plate of food that way, it gives me a few seconds to decide if I'm really hungery, or if I'm just eating because it's there. Last night, when I realised what I was doing, I got up, walked to the trash, and dumped it in. I know it sounds extreme, but it's what I have to do, for me to be successful.
  • Learning to leave food on a plate was a big thing for me - my parents were big fans of the "clean plate" club when I was growing up. I have always been able to eat when I wasn't hungry (so I don't do well with the "just listen to your body" advice, my body wants mint milanos, all the time). I am getting better with it, I try to do it on purpose, hey, I'm already full, I don't need/want that - push away, take to the kitchen immediately, dump down the sink.

Still, if I'm within my calories for the day, and the portion sizes have been measured - I almost always finish all of my meal (maybe for the same reasons? I am entitled? I like to eat? I find eating extremely pleasurable?). I am trying much harder to stop when I am truly STUFFED, I used to eat the the point of discomfort all the time (to me, that was full) and now I don't really like that too-full feeling. I am especially trying to figure this out in restaurants, when portion sizes are typically enormous (even when halved into a to-go box first thing!!). Then, I have to wrestle with thoughts like "but I PAID so MUCH for it"
  • Interesting topic Robin. I think most of us that have a weight issue were all made to "clean" our plates as children. To be honest, that is something I have also been working on. YES - I did allot for this food in my eating, but it is OK to throw it out if I am full. VERY hard to do, but I want to think like a fit person now, not one that is on a "diet". That is one aspect that I am working on ~ and eventually I will be OK with. Given the years that I overfed myself and paid no attention whatsoever to whether I was full or not, I think I am making pretty good progress.

I think it is also cool to see others thinking/working on the same things I am too! This is gonna be a GREAT year for a lot of us here!!
  • I know this might sound stupid but I buy smaller plates. I use salad plates instead of bigger dinner plates. Thus, I can "clean the plate" without feeling guilty. Plus, must people have the habit of filling up the plate regardless of how big the plate is -- thus, if you use a smalled plate you will eat less.
  • I try to take less so I can still clean my plate. Sometimes I don't. I use to think I needed seconds.....I don't remember the last time I got seconds though.
  • Quote: I know this might sound stupid but I buy smaller plates. I use salad plates instead of bigger dinner plates. Thus, I can "clean the plate" without feeling guilty. Plus, must people have the habit of filling up the plate regardless of how big the plate is -- thus, if you use a smalled plate you will eat less.
    Not stupid at all. I did this too. We have Williams And Sonoma everyday wear in white. I went to WalMart and bought bright primary colors in different, smaller shapes. It's a nice bright contrast with the white and its smaller.
  • Rockinrobin -- I know what you mean -- if I'm alotted a cup of pasta, I want my whole cup darn it!! I had to log the calories, I always feel like I'm entitled to them. But, I'm starting to just walk away and either put it in the fridge for later, if I get hungry for it or just dump it. We tend to chat after dinner while the kids are still eating -- god they are slow - I wish I could do that!! So I've been getting up and putting my plate in the kitchen and coming back, because I know I will pick at it if it's in front of me, even if I'm done. A question for everyone -- I was brought up you eat at 8:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. for meals -- what do you do if you just aren't hungry then? Aside from eating dinner with the family at 6:00 p.m., can't I just eat when I'm hungry and not have "lunch/breakfast" times?
  • I am doing WW points. I eat what is on my plate even though I don't feel hungry. I may feel full but do not feel stuffed. I do this as I was eating too few points. It is an effort to get all my points in each day. At a restaurant I stop immediately once I feel full. I have never left the table with a stuffed feeling since I have started my journey. Robin you are doing awesome just look at your ticker. You are a wonderful inspiration for all of us. Thanks for sharing.
  • Robin , we think so much alike. I was just talking to my SD about this today. I always clean my plate. I usually put all my food for the day in Fitday first thing of the morning. It doesn't bother me at all to not eat a snack that I had planned if I'm not hungry, but for some reason I clean my whole plate at dinner. I think that my brain is saying "but what if you get hungry later and have already thrown the rest of your dinner out?"

My son's XGF that was 5'9 and 118 lbs. used to eat burgers and fries all the time. The thing I did notice, that although her food choices were usually junk, she'd eat maybe half the meal and throw the rest away. I have never been able to do this.

I know that when I eat now, that I feel satisfied but never stuffed. I also very much agree that I sometimes think "well I'm allowed X amt. of calories, so I'm gonna eat them all". If the rest of my family cleaned their plates as good as I do, I wouldn't need to scrape out scraps every night. LOL.
  • I'm more apt to leave food on my plate at a restaurant because they usually serve bigger portions than I need or want. I don't, however, leave enough for me to take home for another meal. I should probably start doing that!!

If I take the time to make a nice meal, I don't want it to go to waste, so I do clean my plate. But there have been a few times that I've eaten my share and I'm no longer hungry and there is some of this or that leftover and I'll throw it out only so it won't tempt me. I have a problem with some leftovers--they sit in their cute little containers in the fridge and call to me and I have to open the fridge and stick my fork in! That is soooooo bad of me!
  • I very often use a small plate, especially if there is a large serving plater of food that I will be taking from. I usually also just take it from the stove, dole it out over there. I really don't do seconds anymore (or thirds or fouths)

I am never stuffed where I can't breathe (like in the old days), not even close. I get soooo much fuller these days on sooooo much less food, but I am never stuffed. The other thing I also worry about is, I usually don't snack after dinner. So if I were to leave some dinner over, well then maybe I would get hungry again and be looking for a snack and what good would that be? Kind of like don't fix what ain't broke. But I guess it kind of bothers me that I just can't leave a crumb behind, with as far as I've come I still have plenty, PLENTY to learn and conquer. I still really like to eat and my dinners taste darn good and I wanna finish them.

Angihas, I also use the trash to keep me from eating certain things. No kidding. It doesn't bother me one bit to throw away the food, better in the trash then on my a$$.

Shelby I try to keep to a schedule, it's what works for me.

B- Between 9 & 9:30, depending on when I get hungry
    S- about 11:30
    L - between 1:30 and 2:30, depending on when I get hungry
    S -about 4:00
    D - between 6 & 6:45. Kids usually dictate this.

And yes Shelby you can eat whenever you are hungry . Whatever works for YOU.
  • There's only TWO reasons why I would ever clean my plate.

#1 - I'm THAT hungry.

#2 - the food is THAT good!

Okay three....

#3 - my mother is standing behind me reminding me that she brought me into this world, & she can take me out!
  • Lilybelle and alinnell, you both posted while I was.

I swear to you Lilybelle, whenever I read one of your posts I sit here and nod my head in agreement - always. I can also always pass on the snack if I'm not hungry, but the dinner plate - nope, gotta clean it.

Alinnel, a restaurant is another story. I can't finish a plate there. I am such a control freak, it freaks me out to not know EXACTLY how many calories are in there and whatever, I have a real hard time not eating at home. Another thing I need to work on. And leftovers are killer for me. Killer. I really like making just enough food for everyone which is real hard. I used to have the exact opposite mentallity, that I should make extra - just in case someone's real hungry tonight. If I do have leftovers, I actually have to portion them out, and think in my head who's getting what. Kinda earmark it for this or that.
  • Quote: There's only TWO reasons why I would ever clean my plate.

#1 - I'm THAT hungry.

#2 - the food is THAT good!

Okay three....

#3 - my mother is standing behind me reminding me that she brought me into this world, & she can take me out!
    Okay for me dinner usually falls into #2, that's the problem. Sheesh, I think I just figured it out. I have to make food that I don't like so much. Ummm, thought about it, that's not gonna happen. Making food that I really enjoy is what is keeping me on track for so long.