"Red-Light" food poll...

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Although I'm a big sugar junky and can eat terrible amounts of chocolate in one sitting I can actually resist it if it's in the house. The big temptation is bread- of any kind. Sourdough, crusty french bread, bagels, they are not allowed through the door because I have no control over myself. Plus pizza of any kind especially cold pizza sitting in the kitchen the next morning! Yum..

Also pasta is a biiiggggg trigger food. Basically anything with lots of bad carbohydrates that I can smother in cheese gets me everytime.
  • For me, anything in a large quantity is a "red light" food.

I can buy 1-3 cookies at a specialty store, and I won't touch them until I really want them. Same with single-serving sizes of candy. If I know that there's a limited amount of a food, I'm so careful to enjoy it.

I think this started when I was very, very young, as I would always ask, "Is there more?" before starting dinner. It's a wonder I was never drastically overweight -- got to thank the parents and their fantastic metabolisms!!

But I will no longer buy large packages of cookies or bags of individual candy (i.e. M&Ms). DH and I have debated long and hard about this -- as he likes to keep these things in the house -- but I've convinced him for now.

We keep ice cream in the house because DH might die without it, but we always buy it in the pint sizes, and usually I only get a bite or two. (Last night, he gave me a bowl, though, yay!) Right now, I'm experimenting with smaller portion sizes -- like the little Dove miniature ice cream bars. Only 70 calories each, and I'm not likely to have more than one. (I don't "snack" with ice cream in the same way I snack with other things.)

I've also stopped keeping crackers in the house. I won't eat them immediately (as I would cookies or candy), but once I start eating them, I will finish the entire box.
  • Chips & Dip
    Candy Bars
    Spaghetti O's
    Frozen Pizza
  • Icecream is my "red light" food and the sad thing is that I'm lactose intolerant and that never stopped me.

I agree with the others that said they don't keep any junk food in the house. Most of the food in my house has to be cooked or can be eaten raw (fruits and veggies.)

We actually had guests this weekend that brought Doritos with them and just the thought of them grossed me out (I've come a long way.) They left them, so I threw them out.
  • I don't do well with crackers, tortilla chips and most definitely, graham crackers.
  • I have no problems whatsoever with sweets. In fact, I hate sweets, even chocolate. I'm addicted to those bags of frozen pasta, though. Pasta Voila!, those Contessa dinners, Lean Cuisine skillet meals, you name it. I'll eat the entire bag -- once I pick out all the carrots.
  • Quote: I have no problems whatsoever with sweets. In fact, I hate sweets, even chocolate. I'm addicted to those bags of frozen pasta, though. Pasta Voila!, those Contessa dinners, Lean Cuisine skillet meals, you name it. I'll eat the entire bag -- once I pick out all the carrots.
    I take it you don't like carrots, LOL.

I agree with the comments on bread. I went to a friend's house a couple of weeks ago and she was baking HOMEMADE bread. One loaf had just come out of the oven. Sitting on the counter next to the steaming hot loaf was fresh butter. I wanted to die. The smell alone was driving me crazy.

She says, "Would you like a piece?"

Yep! I ate two slices and it was wonderful.

Minus the butter, of course

I need to start carrying my butter spray with me everywhere I go
  • I counter my sourdough cravings with the little rolls from Panera. They usually serve them with soup but you can buy two at the bakery counter for about $1.

I can eat several avocados in a sitting. It never quite becomes guacamole in my house...