100 Calorie Packs Love'em or leave them?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I bought my first box of 100 calorie packs today.. made by Nabisco. Very nicely packed... 100 calories.. not going crazy here. I got the Lorna Doone shortbread cookie crisps - yummy - but not many of them (but I guess that's the point, eh?)

Which ones have you tried?

Sometimes I've made my own 100 calorie packs. I like to divide up snacks ahead of time... so if I'm going for a bing.... it slows me down.
    Snacks already packed are good choices too when you are on the run. (ie. I leave some in the car for those.. I'm starving.. but don't want to go through a drive thru, kwim?)

Any thoughts?
  • Personally, I don't care for portioned out snacks which contain lots of sugar and/or fat. I do use 100 calorie microwave popcorn only because it is a good emergency to have at work/home and it is truly filling. Those 100 calorie packs don't look very filling to me. I rather have a piece of fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, carrots or another snack that will fill me up. Otherwise I could eat 5 or 6 100 calorie packs at a time.
  • I don't buy any of those kinds of things. I have before (when I was trying to "diet") but since I have made my mind up that I needed a new lifestyle, I just purged all of those things. I was one who could not be trusted with them - I could not limit myself to one pack - I would not leave them alone until they were gone.
  • I agree with what Mrs. Quadcrew and Nelie said 100%. When I first started out, I couldn't be trusted. One 100 cal pak could have easily turned into 3 or 4 or more. So I just didn't buy them. I have since gained more control, but have no interest in them. I'd rather eat the things that Nelie mentioned, I get more nutritional bang for my buck so to speak.

You have to do what works for you. We are all different. If you think this would aid you, then more power to you. Enjoy!!!
  • Quote: I agree with what Mrs. Quadcrew and Nelie said 100%. When I first started out, I couldn't be trusted. One 100 cal pak could have easily turned into 3 or 4 or more. So I just didn't buy them. I have since gained more control, but have no interest in them. I'd rather eat the things that Nelie mentioned, I get more nutritional bang for my buck so to speak.

You have to do what works for you. We are all different. If you think this would aid you, then more power to you. Enjoy!!!
    Ditto! But I do agree with this:

Quote:
    Sometimes I've made my own 100 calorie packs. I like to divide up snacks ahead of time
    Its one way of measuring your snacks--and they don't have to be the cookie/cracker type that most prepackaged things are. 100 calories of carrots and celery would be much more filling than 100 calories of cookies (and healthier, too).
  • I enjoy them. I really like the Pecan Sandies 100 calorie pack. I never eat them by themselves... Usually after dinner or with some kind of protein as a snack. My son likes them too.
  • I also enjoy them, I don't eat them real often but I like to have them at home and in my desk drawer at work for when I'm wanting something different. The portion control works for me. The only one I have had trouble eating only one of, is a new one from Hershey, it was pretzel covered in chocolate. They where just as good as their regular chocolate covered pretzels, just two in a package for portion control. I think I ate all 7 packages in two days. Won't buy them again.

I like the Nabisco Oreo, thin crisps and the Nabisco Ritz one. The Oreos satisify a sweets crave and the Ritz helps with a salt crave. Although a protien snack is always a better choice, and making my own 100 calorie pack woud be cheaper, I enjoy the convience.
  • We sometimes buy these for our daughters, but I've had to make them 100% off limits to myself. I know me.....I might not stop with just one pack. Maybe I can do it one day, but not at this stage in my journey.
  • Quote: I also enjoy them, I don't eat them real often but I like to have them at home and in my desk drawer at work for when I'm wanting something different. The portion control works for me.
    Ditto. I had one yesterday with some yogurt - it filled me up for an afternoon snack. I am also a big fan of the 100 cal popcorn and 100 cal chocolate bars.
  • For me, they're a great idea that doesn't work. I can't eat just ONE!!!

spanky
  • These were actually a great tool for me when I was first starting. If I really wanted a junk-food snack, I could pull out the little chocolate chip cookie ones. I only allowed myself one, period. I love those cookies. I would eat each one of those little things, 2 bites per tiny cookie. This way I had plenty of cookie flavor, and it really ended up seeming like a lot for me.

That said, I have a huge box of them still on my fridge. Their novelty has worn off. Now, if I have to have a sweet treat, I favor a square of 85% dark chocolate. It's so strong that I don't need much.

I still see the wisdom in the pre-portioning, though. When my beloved Colts stomped the Patriots, I bought a full-sized bag of baked potato chips. They didn't last very long. I won't be buying those again soon. I can't trust myself.
  • I had one this afternoon. I do like them although, I don't buy them often. Actually, today I was really good and only ate half the pack and I was satisfied. Just needed that little taste of CHOCOLATE in the afternoon.
  • My vote is for "LEAVE 'EM" . . . the only ones I eat are the Smart Pop Microwave Popcorn. . . for the same reason as mentioned before . . . I like more volume for my calorie-buck.
  • For me, it's better to leave them. If I allow myself to start having sweets and snacks like that, I really start to crave them. It's just easier to tell myself that I don't eat those anymore than it is to have a pack a day and fight the constant cravings.

Everyone is different though, and you may be able to eat them in moderation. I sometimes wish I could have a pack and be satisfied, but usually I'm fine with it. Once I got sugary things like that out of my system, I didn't want them anymore. But if I start back eating them, I have to "detox" again.
  • Quote: Now, if I have to have a sweet treat, I favor a square of 85% dark chocolate. It's so strong that I don't need much.

I agree... I buy the dark chocolate too. I have half.. or less of what they call a serving.. it's 110 calories and very very yummy! and now.. it's good for you. (as long as you limit it)

I used to hate dark chocolate. Get a good quality one.. very good.

I agree with what others said... 100 calorie packs are pricey and not healthy. But they are great if you crave something and you want to stay under control. I've actually had the box for over a week and just opened it today... it will probably last a while.

Dana