Featherweights - what's your story?

You're on Page 6 of 30
Go to
  • My weight loss Story
    I've always felt too heavy, I wasn't a fat child, or even a heavy child. I was short and strong for my age, but I felt fat because I weighed more than my skinny cousin and had thick thighs to boot. My high school years were spent at a boarding school where the food was very starchy and fatty and diets were forbidden unless you were under doctors' orders. At that school I learned that losing weight meant starvation and skipping meals.

After I graduated I was depressed. The doc put me on Elavil and I gained a lot of weight. I wasn't eating a lot but I was sleeping twenty hours a day. I could barely function. I stopped the Elavil and stopped seeing the shrink. I desperately wanted to lose weight.

I went to Weight Watchers. My metabulism was so messed up that I gained weight on their 1200 calorie diet. I never went back after the second week. I joined an exercise class but quit when the instructor wouldn't let me use the weights because most new people couldn't and they couldn't make an exception for me.

In my early twenties I was anorexic, weighed about 90 pounds and wore a girls' size twelve jeans. I got that small by eating no more than 400 calories a day, exercising for hours on end and taking mega doses of laxatives.

Not healthy, I know, but it worked.

Then life intervened and I got sidetracked from dieting. Slowly my weight crept up. I got stressed and starting drinking, My weight crept up more. From time to time I tried the old starvation, laxative route but I couldn't stick to it. At work I met a man whom I am still sharing my life with, nineteen years later. I stopped watching my calories strictly but somehow I didn't gain a lot of weight. I maintained. I wasn't fat but I wasn't thin and I was miserable.

Over the years my weight has gone up and down. It's gone up when I've been stressed and down when I've been focused. I haven't been focused for a while and right now I'm about 140 pounds ( a lot when you're as short as me). I would like to lose about 30 pounds but I'll be happy with fifteen.
  • Hi everyone!

I'm back after nearly a year's absence. My story isn't that exciting. I was the very skinny little girl of a mom who's always been heavy. When I hit puberty and ballooned up to the mid-140s my mom(whom I love dearly, byt the way) smugly said that it was my lot in life to be chubby like her. She was pretty vexed when the weight fell off just as quickly in my late teens.

Cut to adulthood: I've never been able to eat much in one sitting, but get hungry really quickly. My diet was pretty abysmal in my twenties and I always hated excircise but I walked everywhere so I always hovered between 117 and 123. Weird! Anyhoo, the last few years have seen my diet improve but my metabolism take a hit because I don't walk for miles anymore because of Multiple Sclerosis.

I'm at the level now where, even with the not moving around too much, I hang out in the low 120s if I don't go crazy with the sweets. I had a hungry May, which bumbed me up over 130 and brought me back here.
  • back Fitaitch
  • Thanks Ilene! And I feel bad after re-reading my post. I know that mid-140s isn't that bad, but I'm only 5'1" and I have a really tiny frame. My standard 120ish weight makes me quite pudgy, and now I'm even pudgier, so that's why I'm hoping to get down a bit lower. So sorry if I seemed snooty.
  • Snooty?! NOT at all
  • I have always fluctuated in weight and binge eaten a lot.

However last year I finally started exercising a lot and eating well, and lost so much weight I was almost underweight. I met my boyfriend and went through a lot of emotional stress and have gained 20 kilos (40 pounds) in a short space of time. I want to lose it and have given myself a goal date of 17th October (ten days after my one year anniversary with my boyfriend all being well) to loser the weight so I am in great shape for the Southern Summer.

I am registered with an acting and modeling agency and I have had to reject some offers as my weight is so much higher than that advertised on my profile - I feel silly saying it but I want to be able to say Yes! to some job offer which I never did when I was at goal as I thought I was not good enough. So here I am. And this time, it's staying off!

• Fitaitch, I have a friend with MS who has had good luck doing yoga frequently. She's lost a lot of weight through diet and has toned up with yoga.
  • Well, it's a short story. I was 110 in my twenties, 120 in my thirties, and up to a hefty 152 in my forties. Life, food, inattention. Now I'll be in my fifties in 6 weeks and I'm gonna turn that trend around. I'm shooting for fit and 120.

that's all....cuppa
  • Thanks Kilketay! I love yoga! It's great for stretching an light resistance work. Granted, I only just got back into it so I'm still waiting for it to work some magic on my tummy.
  • nip it now
    I never had a weight problem untill i hit my early 30's. I ate what i wanted i did'nt gain weight. I hit 30 and all that changed. What a slap in the face. the weight came on slowley, by age 38 i weighed 140. my husband of 20 years left me for a skinny younger woman and i lost weight, due to stress. i got down to 110 which is a good weight for me i am only 5'2. the stress is gone life is good again and i am gaining weight again. i now weigh 128.5 . I want to nip this weight gain in the bud and get back down to 110 to 115. I know i'm not fat now but i could get there.
  • a buncha newbies PBL cuppajoe nipitinthebud all

Hi and to Marlu who was overlooked earlier
  • Helloooo Featherweights!

My story: I've always been of a pretty "sturdy" build. My mom is tiny, but the rest of her side of the family is of thick hearty midwestern Swedish/Czech stock.

During college, the weight went from a high of 160 to a low of 139 and settled at about 150, but lately has crept back up to 155. I'm prone to emotional eating and turn to food when I'm happy, sad, bored, indifferent, etc. I'd like to get into the habit of mindful eating and stop using food as a coping mechanism.

The most significant lasting weight loss I ever acheived (7 lbs) was last year around this time (summer) when I stopped eating after 8pm (to avoid useless nighttime boredom binging) and did yoga every day. I'd like to get myself back into that habit. Would eventually like to drop around 36 lbs, but I know that sloooooow and steady wins the race.

I really wanted to get in on the "weekly chatter" thread, so that motivated me to pull myself together and register this week! I start a new gig teaching at a 3 week long music festival and would also like to use this time to teach myself new eating habits. Not sure if I'm trying to cram too much into this time (making lesson plans, adjusting to new schedule, AND changing eating patterns) but I figure the only way to fail for sure is not to try! (oh yeah, baby!)

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

~Ax
  • Alexistrophic
  • My Story
    So, growing up i was always tiny. In highschool i stayed at about 119 and a size 2. After my first child i hit 165, and after the second i was 250. Not because i was pregnant, but because i was eating out of the fridge with a spoon at all hours.

5 years ago i dieted and went from 250 down to 130. Maintained it for 4 years, and slowly creeped up to 165 in the last year. In the last few months i have made it down to 157 where i am now, but have a long way to go still.

None of my clothes fit, and i'm unhappy in general with how i look and feel. Besides that, my dh and i are trying to conceive and the doc says it will be easier if i am at a normal weight. So, i'm trying and i'm grasping for good motivation that i can hold onto.
  • thinnythighs