Featherweights - what's your story?

You're on Page 2 of 30
Go to
  • Doughnut -- Sorry I didn't PM you, I found it was such a great thread idea that I put it at the top of the Featherweights forum as a Sticky so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle...
  • Oh heavens - no bother. I'm technologically challenged and just thought I'd pressed something wrong!
  • New Member - Same Issues
    Growing up, I was always teased about my weight. Three kids later (including 2 c-sections), those taunts and words still resonate loudly. Well, my youngest just turned 1 this week...and now, it's time for me to kick it into high gear. I've already shed some pounds, but I'm still not where I want to be. Of course, my husband tells me I look great. (Although, he thought I looked great 30 pounds ago...so I think he's got a biased opinion.) I'm just glad that this forum exists. My husband doesn't understand why I "need" to lose another 10 or 15 pounds. But, I'm sure many of you do...and that's what makes this site great!

Thanks.
  • Hello everyone!

My name is Erica. I am a fairly small person, in general. I was active in high school (gymnastics), but when I went to college (5 years ago), I gained weight steadily throughout the four years - a total of 10 or so pounds -- oh take out at midnight (wings, pizza!) and I was also very inactive. 10 pounds may not seem like a lot, but it is a lot on a almost 5 foot tall lady! My weight is has gone mostly to my stomach and BUTT! And, my face has gotten rounder too. I have been trying to lose my gut that hangs out over my low-rise jeans for awhile now. And now I am at about 116 pounds. I don't even want to be "skinny," I just do not like my big BUTT and my stomach hanging out over my jeans! (Oh those low-rise jeans -- why!) I always say that I won't buy new clothes until I get rid of my stomach, but it's been like two years since I've said that! So, I'm here.. I need support to get healthy.

Have a great day ladies
  • honeyjobear
  • Ok, Here's my story. I was thin until I hit puberty, then I became chubby. By the time I was 16, all the fat melted away. I was always a little discouraged about my weight from the time I was 24 on, but I was always active, dance and kung fu. Since I moved from Ontario to Quebec I have had a baby and join the race of the domesticated, I became inactive. Although I lost my pregnancy weight, I was 144 before I became pregnant and unhappy then too. I did manage to lose 10 lbs, but they are back. So, I am beginning to realize that I need to find the time to exercise and cut back on calories to get down to weight that I am happy with, so here I am.
    Dana
  • Here's my story:
    As a child I was a painfully skinny competitive gymnast. Lots of exercise and I was naturally thin/small boned so I never worried about what I ate. I remember getting a speeding ticket when I was about 20 and being offended that the officer listed my weight as 120 (when I was actually about 100-105).

Fast forward to the beginning of the summer I turned 30. I was pretty happy at that point to be at about 120. By the end of the summer I knew I had gained some weight but since I had never had a weight problem I didn't own a scale so I don't know what the number was. A year and a half later I was trying to climb a volcano in Mexico and absolutely could NOT make it to the top.

When I got back home I joined the gym and found that I weighed (gulp) 148, which on my frame is quite overweight. I started exercising - lots of cardio, lots of weights and lost a total of 3 lbs in 4 months Have you heard the one about being able to eat whatever you want to as long as you get a lot of exercise? It isn't true! About that time I joined 3FC and started modifying my diet. I eventually got down to about 118 by the end of that year. I believe the day I reached 118 was the day that I started gaining weight again.

That was a year ago and I'm still working to get back down to 115-120. It's been at least 6 months since I have actively tried to lose any weight so when I got to my line-in-the-sand weight of 125 a couple of weeks ago I started thinking about cutting back/going back to the gym. Unfortunately I woke up this morning and saw 127 on the scale. I immediately started counting calories in my head and entered my stuff in fitday today for the first time in months. So I'm beginning the last assault on the last 10 lbs.
  • I've said several times over the past few years that I'm going to lose weight and each time I just didn't commit. I'd stay with it for a week or so and then go back to normal ways. It's hard when you're living with a stick of a man who eats all kinds of junk food and stuff and it's all over the house.

This time I just got sick of hating my body and wanting to cry anytime I had to look at myself. I have always been very skinny, about 110 pounds and I don't want to be that skinny again, but I don't want to be where I am now either.

On other people, my weight would be fine, but on my frame every single extra pound shows. Since January 2 I have lost 17.5 pounds. I want to hit 135 and reevaluate. I'd love to see 120-125, but that may end up feeling like too much. I have not really been exercising because it's just too hard. I want to join a gym, but the gyms here cost so much it's just not something we could do. There is a new one opening soon that I'm hoping to get in on pre-sale rates.

I've started doing 30 minutes - 1 hour of Dance Dance Revolution on the Playstation 2 (go ahead and laugh) lol I figure at least it gets me moving and helps me burn some calories during the winter when I'd normally not be up and out much at all.

I live 5 blocks off the beach and would like to buy a bikini for the summer just because I can look good in one. lol
  • Welcome soggy!!!

We won't laugh--in fact there are a lot of people who do DDR. If I had a Playstation, I might invest in the game. Another one is Eye Candy Kinetic (that one looks so cool!).

You've done great to lose 17 already!!! Congrats and keep on going. Join us in the Featherweights weekly chat.
  • -Fresh Blood-

Hey all,
    I'm Ella and I'm guessing I'm a featherweight as I only have 5lbs left to lose after a long, hard battle.
    I'm only 19 and yet by the time I was 15 I was approx 200lbs, over the past few years I've managed to get that down to 117, and would ideally like to hit 112 before too long,
    though I appear to have been stuck around 120-117 since October last year.

Hmm yea, think that's it.
  • Hi! I'm new! Weight was really never an issue for me until about 27...then I put on some weight during a depressing period in a relationship. I had always hovered around 125. I think I maxed at 165! Then I lost most of it...probably hovering around 135...and probably reaching that max again when I was pregnant. For the past 3 years I've been hovering around 145. I'm 5'5" but have a pretty small upper body...so it's not like a lot of my weight is boob weight! Unfortunately I carry it in my stomach, legs, and butt. I don't look particularly overweight in the clothes I choose to wear, but I've definitely got some rolls and in general feel out of shape and unhealthy. I don't eat poorly...I'm a vegan. I just don't expend enough energy to make up for the calories I take in, and there are certainly some foods I should cut out. I love seeing everyone's little weight trackers. They're very inspiring!
  • My little story
    I’m an artist who works in fiber, a magazine editor, and a writer. You can see my artwork, my studio, and our sailboat at http://www.clvquilts.com I like indie movies and all water sports. I enjoy a causal bike ride and a walk, but dread sweaty workouts.

My husband and I have been dancing for the past two years since we went on a cruise around the world (I was the onboard art/quilt teacher). He took ballroom classes while I taught. We went to 40 ports in 25 countries over 4 months and had the time of our lives. This past year, I went back for a second trip and he joined me for the African segment.

Since we’ve been home, we’ve gotten into swing dancing and can do East Coast, West Coast, and as of Saturday night, Shag.

Doughnut asked some great questions in her post, so I thought answer them.

Are these last few pounds the last few from a much greater weight loss or a few spare that have always been just a few?

Last week I learned of 3fc by reading an article in the March 2007 O magazine. I decided to join the featherweights because I was within pounds of my current goal. Plus, since I’m so little (5’1” ~110 lbs) I thought it would be a good category. I’ve taken off 49 pounds since mid-Dec 2005 due mainly to a switch in medications that changed my eating habits for the better.

As the weight came off, I became more motivated to lose more. So initially I hoped just to lose some of the weight that a former med had contributed to putting on. (I still take full responsibility for eating the food, the med just dramatically increased my appetite.)

Over the months, I came up with small goals of fitting back into a favorite dress or pair of pants. Now I’m at the point were everything’s too big and I’m going to have to go shopping.

How long have you been battling with them for?

It took me 4 years on the old med to gain 50 pounds.

What fab tips can you share?

I’m not dieting. I’m eating extremely healthy. Mostly whole vegetables and whole grains with some fish. I’ve cut down on meats and sugars no longer appeal to me because of the change in meds. (I know, you all want my ‘magic pills’, but trust me, you have to have a serious medical condition to be prescribed this one.)

What made you finally decide to get to grips with your weight?

At first, it wasn’t my decision. It was a ‘side effect’ of medications. But as I saw the weight coming off, I started getting motivated to eat a healthy way. Since my cravings switched from carbs and sugars to salads and vegetables, I started watching Christina Cooks, a whole foods cooking show on PBS. It taught me a lot about how to prepare quality meals. Though I don’t plan to become a vegan like her.

How has 3fc helped you?

It seems to be a friendly and supportive community.

If you've reached goal how has your life changed?

It’s easier to get around without lugging an excess 50 pounds. I look a lot better so I feel a lot better. It’s easier to be active. Other than that, I’m still the same happy person I was when I weighed 160 lbs.
  • New here
    Hi, I'm 41 yrs old and 145 lbs. I've been about 15-30 lbs overweight since high school. I was down to about 130 lbs about 2 yrs ago when went low carb, but didn't last. It's such a surprise to be on the 'feather weight' board as I see myself as quite heavy. I think my problem is, like many people, emotional eating and then I feel that I've blown it so I go crazy on food for a while. I tend to eat better when I'm at work (I work pt) as opposed to when I am at home with my young daughter. Anyway, this board is so large that I'm not sure how to navigate!
  • Carolyn and missladybug
  • ellastar and flitter