Question re: Muscle exhaustion?

• Good morning,

I have just started week two of the South Beach diet, and for the last three days, I've noticed that my muscles are EXHAUSTED. My mind is clear and alert, I'm not sleepy, but simple things such as shampooing my hair or walking to work (15 minutes) leave my muscles REALLY TIRED. Could this be SBD related? I'm wondering if my body's getting used to using different stores of energy? Has anyone else experienced this?

TIA!
  • Exactly what are you eating? Please post a menu with quantities and we may spot something.
  • Okay, yesterday's menu for example...

1. 2 egg cups with turkey bacon, green onion, green pepper, and mushroom
    2. 15 almonds
    3. chef's salad w/ approximately 2 oz. no-fat ham, 1.5 oz. low-fat cheese, 7 grape tomatoes, 2 mushrooms, 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1.5 tbsp low-sugar dressing, 1/2 cup SF jello
    4. low-fat mozza cheese stick
    5. roast (3 medium slices) with 3 small spinach stuffed mushrooms, 3/4 cup cabbage sauteed in olive oil
    6. no sugar added fudge pop

-also: 2 cups of decaffeinated orange pekoe tea w/ 3/4 tsp. Splenda & 1 tbsp 1% milk each time
    -500 mL Crystal Lite
    -6 cups water

Could I be not drinking enough water, or having too much aspartame/sucralose/artificial sweetener?
  • Aha! You do not have enough slow carbs. Add legumes and dairy. That should help. Check out the amounts in the Revised Phase4 I food list in the FAQ Section. Adding them may help.
  • I feel your pain
    The first time I did Phase 1, I had the same thing. I usually work out 5-6 times per week. During that time, I usually do about 40 minutes of cardio and about 25 of weights. Cardio killed me! In the past, I did the EFX/ Elliptical at levels 10 and 8, but during Phase 1, I was lucky to crank out 6 and 4!!! I was actually advised by my doctor to cut back on exercise during those first two weeks.

The good news is that my energy returned with a vegeance!! Because I exercise regularly, one of the first things I introduced back into my diet was fruit. My body didn't like that so much, so I started adding in a little bit of bread (whole grain wraps, rye bread). That did the trick for me!

One of my biggest motivators for coming back to Phase 1 is knowing how good Phase 2 makes me feel. I hope you find the same
  • Oh good...I thought I was getting "achy" from maybe a cold or something. My arms feel like lead & my legs are sore like I did squats. More beans it is......(my fiance will be thrilled!!)