What are some acceptable low carb beverages?

• Hello,

I made a decision a few weeks ago that I would start a low carb lifestyle because I do know that it works well for me, I just need to work the program. This time around I'm trying to be better informed instead of just doing it the "easy way." I'm actually reading Dr. Atkins book to really understand this way of life. I'll start my new lifestyle next week after I finish the book and prepare my house for low carb! Anyhow...I'm curious about what is ok to drink for low carbers. In Dr. A's book it said (if I read it correct) that diet soda made with Splenda is ok. Is that true? I like sweet drinks like diet sodas and Crystal Light, but I'm also not sure if that's such a great idea. I also occasionally enjoy coffee. What are some carb counts for these beverages? Any advice or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
  • Welcome!!
    Rebelridergirl!!

First of all, Congratulations on choosing the Atkins lifestyle!! Glad to hear you are reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. It will certainly help you understand how & why this works.

As far as beverages go. Personally, I stay away from diet soda's (made with Splenda or not). I would say,if you're going to drink them, I would make it occasionally and yes,the ones made with Splenda & also caffeine free would be preferable. In my personal experience, I avoid those made with Aspartame. It is a common known "staller" for some people. As far as Crystal Light, did you know, if you buy the powder (in the little tubs) and you make it yourself, those contain Aspartame? But, if you buy the kind in the bottles already made, those are made with Splenda! Coffee, according to Dr. Atkins is ok as long as its decaf. I drink 2 cups of decaf (black) at the office every morning and have done this since doing Atkins and it has never affected my weight loss. I also enjoy many decaf flavored tea's. My favorite is Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride with a little cinnamon added and 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream. It is heavenly! Very important, DRINK YOUR WATER!! I drink 128 oz a day. Its great for you & my skin has never looked better!!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
  • Hi and Welcome to rebelridergirl! I need to re-read New Diet Revolution myself! Hope you'll join Our Weekly Chats and let us know how you're doing.
  • Thank you so much so for the advice JerseyGyrl and for the warm welcome Aud! Thanks for the invitation to the weekly chats.

Have a great day and thank you again!
  • i dont know if you have HEB in your area, but they carry these flavored waters that are so good.
  • ive been enjoying making my own lemonade. I take a bottle of water and add a table spoon of lemon juice, a table spoon of lime juice and two packets of splenda. That way I also get all of the yummy health benefits of citrus fruit and can stay atkins friendly.

• Welcome RRG: I'm not sure if this'll affect you or not, but I've learned when I drink soda or anything else I don't get my water in. Good luck