Scale Stories

• I was just thinking of all the people who get frustrated when the scale goes up for no reason (its never as frustrating when it goes down for no reason...until it goes back)

I thought I would share my best scale story

2 summers ago we finally got in gear to get life insurance. I wanted to get it that summer before I a) turned 35 and term rates went up b) got pg again c) dh turned 40 - all of which was about to happen. We scheduled the physical a few weeks before my 35 birthday. I really really really wanted to get to a healthy BMI for the physical because it would affect my rates, but my weight loss was stalled. Waiting to lose weight wouldnt help because after 35 you are in another category and it is more expensive anyway

I am somewhere between 5'3" (140 = healthy) and 5'4" (145). I was pretty sure I could get 5'4" with good posture. Well my scale was STUCK at 150-151. Dang. I did everything I could the weeks before to reduce my other risk factors. I always have just borderline cholesterol, so a lowfat zero sat fat diet went in, etc. Still stuck at 150-151. I was still nursing so I wasnt going to do anything crazy like laxatives or diuretics

The morning of the test came and I hopped on the scale. 146. What???? 146. No way...146. Well its still not quite the needed 145, especially once I got dressed but maybe they would cut me some slack. I put on the lightest shirt and shorts I could find. Well the nurse measured my height in the middle of the kitchen with a tape measure. Not even against the wall, she totally eyeballed it and came up with 5'5" and then I hopped on her scale and it said 147. BMI 24.5 (yahoo!!!)

The next day the scale read 150 again and it never got back down to 146 ever.

4 mystery pounds that are saving me beaucoup bucks every month on my life insurance and will for the next 20 years.
  • Very, very cute story. I'm glad your scale knew just the right time to take a nosedive. And you're height to take a giant leap!

As for me and my dopey obsession (brand new for me, I hadn't stepped on one in over 14 years till this past May) with the scale, I freaked out last week when it showed me a 2 lb gain in one day. To make a long story short, I ordered me a brand, spanking new Tanita scale which was MIA for a bit, then mysteriously I got a phone call from a neighbor who had it. Whatever. So I finally got it, and it tells me 1/2 pound less then my current one. My 2 pound weight gain was gone within a couple of days, had already ordered the new one. The new one fluctuates even more then the old cheap one. So it was all for naught. As of this morning I am no longer weighing myself everyday. There I said it - it's official. Had I just weighed myself once a week I never, ever would have seen that 2 pound weight gain, which of course is now gone. And in fact turned out to be a 1 1/2 lb loss for the week. I wouldn't have spent all week freaking out about a non-existent gain, wouldn't have spent mucho money on something I absolutely did not need, wouldn't have been driving UPS (and my family) crazy with where's my new scale and so on and so on.
  • The scale is teh Devil. LOL

And here is a quote that I found -- hmmm, maybe here? Can't remember. BUt it's a goodun.

Quote:
    Today's weight is not a true measure of how well you followed your program yesterday.