Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #1  

Default Is This a good Diet Meal Plan????

hey i was wondering if this is a good diet to loose about 10lbs.

first you should know....
i have a stomach and digestive disorder so there are many food i can't eat such as eggs.
i work 2 jobs as well as go to school so im never home and often dont have a lot of time to cook. i take aerobics and weight classes 4x/week so i eat a frozen dinner(south beach, smart ones, lean cuisine.. whatever looks tasty) b4 hand because i work or im not home to cook.
im a gymnast. im a gymnastics instructor and im going to train soon to become a personal trainer.
if you do respond, please do not comment on my weight and what i want to loose. im 5'1. Im just looking for some support and anwsers, not critisism.

here ya gooo

breakfast: cold cereal and fat free milk( i like rice krispies,capn crunch, 1/3 less sugar frosted flakes, post banana nut crunch... various others)
these cereals give me energy and keep me full and satisfied

lunch: marinated chicken in salad or chicken and veggies

dinner: frozen dinner or marinated chicken with a potato or brown rice..... and some veggies or salad

snacks: bananas..or..apples..or..grapes..or.. yogurt..or.. rice cakes.. or wheat thins( 100 calorie pack)
ewynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #2  
Meg

Ewynne - you asked the identical question last night in your post in General Diet Plans and got several thoughtful answers with good, sound nutritional advice from some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people on the board. Why come back today and post the same question in three different forums?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

ewynne- The type of food you are having seems okay but you haven't mentioned what portions you eat. Sugared cereals probably aren't the best choice but if that's what you like then that's fine, I just switched my husband over to those 1/3 less sugar frosted flakes and he likes them.

Personally I find that frozen meals contain too much sodium for my taste so I would limit how many of them I would eat in a week. I find that sodium either makes me gain or prevents me from losing.

It is important that you eat a balanced diet to keep your body fueled up especially since you seem to do a lot of exercise.

Since you have a digestive disorder have you consulted with your doctor or a nutritionist to get some advice on an eating plan? This would probably be the best thing to do in order to eat well and alleviate some of your digestive problems.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #4  

anytime i post a question on different boards no matter what the topic is... i post it as much as i can. i like to here as much peoples input as i can. then ill decide what route to take
Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #5  
Haley

You said on the dieting with obstacles part that you can't talk to your doctor about the meal plan because it's hit or miss with food. Why then would you ask people who have no idea what you have and what foods are hit or miss for advice? Perhaps you should look for a dietician in your area who knows about what you have and can suggest specific foods.
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:44 PM   #6  

Maybe if you made up a list of what you can eat and took it to a dietician she could work out a menu plan for you.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #7  

i dont have money to go to a nutritionist or dietition, but i am a hit and miss with food... also there is food i can't eat... i gave a sample meal plan (which is all foods i can eat) i just wanted to know if its ok and if i should switch anything around etc...
Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

The problem is, we untrained non-experts cannot tell you what to switch because we don't know what you can add since you are "hit or miss" with foods.

Try oatmeal instead of cold cereal--it keeps you fuller longer and has more of a nutritional benefit. I'm also thinking you're not eating nearly enough calories for the amount of exercise you do, so you are probably losing muscle and not just fat (if there is ANY fat in your 112 pounds ). Even if you work out, you can lose muscle by not providing your body with enough substance and nutrients to rebuild the muscle after exercising.

I think that last time I weighed 112 pounds, I was in elementary school
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #9  

Ummm... I did say in one of my posts that I thought that your menu was okay as well as other comments about limiting frozen meals etc.

I eat pretty much the same type of stuff as you posted but I only eat potatoes, rice and pasta once a week or so. I also don't each much bread but when I do it's whole wheat or multigrain. Same with pasta - its gotta be wholewheat. I tend to eat a bit of protein with each meal and lots of veggies and fruit to fill in which seems to be what you are doing.

You know what you can eat so as long as you are feeling satisfied, are getting foods from all the food groups (which you seem to be doing from your menu) and are eating enough to keep your body fueled up for the day then you should be okay. If you feel you need more then eat more but make sure it is good nutritious food. Also taking vitamins never hurts - just do some research before you buy to make sure you are getting the right ones - ask you doc or pharmacist for help in choosing the vitamins that are right for you.

I read in your post in another forum that you stay away from junk food and candy so that will help you too.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #10  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Even though you asked for no comments on how much you weight and how much you lose, but I can't help but comment - mostly because you're about the same height I am and because your current weight is my goal weight.

You're in a healthy weight range right now, actually at it's lower end, and going down to 98 lbs will actually mean you'll be underweight. Perhaps you're under pressure to achieve this weight because of being a gymnast, but do you really need it? It might turn out losing those 14 pounds will be difficult - apart from the fact that the last few are always the hardes to go, you're aiming for being under-weight. It probably won't be easy to maintain a BMI of around 17 either. Why put yourself through that?

You don't say what your portions are, but my guess is that your caloric intake is kind of low. You also don't say anything about your exercise - how many hours/week, how intensive etc.
I think you might need more protein (so the suggestions to incoroprate lean beef and seafood are very good, if you can eat that). And I agree with what others said about cereal - but I also agree with what you said. I've been eating cereal for breakfast for years, it always filled and satisfied me. Recently I realized how many calories and how much sugar my usual breakfast has... and how addictive it is! So right now I'm working on eating different things for breakfast, and I sugges the same for you.

You say you have gymnastics 4 times/week. Why don't cook something on one of the evenings you have off, divide it into portions and freeze - much healthier than a frozen dinner. Also, it only takes minutes to prepare veggies - when I'm in a hurry, I steam brocolli - tasty, fast, filling and healthy.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote