Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:30 PM   #1  

Question Alcohol on the South Beach Diet

Hi there, I've been on the South Beach diet for almost 2 weeks. I've been looking in books and websites about what are "safe" alcohols to drink on this diet. If anyone has any information about this subject or does drink on this diet, please post me. Thanks, stems
Old 08-01-2003, 12:01 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

I found this in a Q&A with the writer. Not a definite answer, but it sounds like he doesn't recommend beer from the types of sugar used, but another alcoholic drink with dinner could lower the glycemic index response.

" bhambelle:Is Michelob Ultra--the low carb beer--okay?
I do not know the carbohydrate content of Michelob Ultra. In general, though, because beer has the sugar maltose in it, it is by far the most fattening of all alcoholic beverages. Most alcoholic beverages when consumed with a meal help delay digestion and thereby have a favorable effect on the glycemic index of the meal. The maltose in beer is digested more rapidly than any other food and causes large swings in blood sugar and insulin levels. This is the origin of a beer belly. We do not get wine bellies because wine does not contain maltose. Light beers with lower carbohydrate content are better than regular beers but I would be very careful and monitor my response."
Old 10-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #3  

Well, he formally recommends only dry red wine in the book, but as he has said elsewhere there are benefits in using alcohol. You should avoid beer for the reasons stated, but dry red or white wine, say up to two glasses per day, or up to 6oz spirits alone or with water, should be ok for most. Watch it carefully, and if it stops things, cut back.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:32 AM   #4  

what about vodka/grapfruit?
See I play on a pool league and I drink bud light.I know thats out But I cant see me going to the bar and playing pool and NOT drinking

Michelle
sw-240
gw-150
Old 11-04-2003, 11:04 AM   #5  
Head Princess

I don't know about the rules of South Beach, but I do know that distilled alcohol has no carbs. That would be rum, vodka, gin, whiskey, scotch, and tequila. The flavored versions of these are generally no good because they add sugar, but the plain ol' thing is no carbs.

I did read that the problem with alcohol is that our bodies burn alcohol before anything. So if you drink, your body will stop using the fat as fuel long enough to use the alcohol.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:16 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Star is right - while most spirits have no carbs your body will switch from fat burning (ketosis) to using the alcohol as fuel. The more you drink the longer it will take to get the alcohol out of your system.

I have heard that drinking lots of water helps..and even having an alcoholic drink, followed by a glass of water, and alternating if possible.

Things like rum and diet coke are okay, but beers, mixed cocktails with juices and sugar should be avoided. There is also a low carb vodka cooler available called light source (by the makers of Pur Source)....only 2 carbs per bottle and made w/splenda.

Froufie
Old 11-05-2003, 07:03 AM   #7  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I am a fan of vodka with grapefruit juice also known as a greyhound...if you put salt on the rim of the glass it becomes a salty dog. BUT...I think grapefruit juice has a very high glycemic index number, so should be avoided. I'm not sure what liquors would be ok. I enjoy red wine so I am planning on sticking with only that once the first 2 weeks are completed. I am a lover of a good pint of Guiness, probably a very high sugar content, so for now, I plan to only toast my ancestors on Saint Patrick's Day with a pint and hold off until then.
Closed Thread