Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Amanda's Fabulous Pumpkin Cake!

This recipe comes from Mandalinn82(Amanda), one of our fearless moderators who has also lost 133 pounds! (she's also a 3FC celebrity thanks to her stint as a covergirl in Women's World!)

Quote:
Pumpkin Spice Cake (makes 2 servings)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch each nutmeg, ground clove, and salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute (I use Splenda because it tastes no different in this recipe, for me, than sugar, and I like to save my calories so I can add chocolate chips...)
1/2 cup, plus a tbsp or two extra canned pumpkin (not the pie mix)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
cooking spray
2 tbsp chocolate chips (optional, but soo good) [for SBD, we could either substitute SF chocolate chips, a tiny amount of mini choc. chips, or semisweet/dark chocolate for our once-a-week treat]

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix together all the dry ingredients, minus the chocolate chips. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and stir well to combine (you need enough pumpkin just for the dough to come together - this is a very thick batter. Sometimes it takes an extra tbsp or two of pumpkin to incorporate all of the dry ingredients). Fold in the chocolate chips.

Divide the batter between two cooking sprayed ramekins (8-10 oz). They will be about half filled. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn them out into serving bowls and enjoy!

Recipe, with chocolate chips but using Splenda, comes to about 170 calories, 4 g of fat, 6 g protein, 33 grams of carbs. It is a little high for a dessert for me, but the only truly "dessert" ingredient in there is the chocolate...everything else falls into the "whole grain" or "produce" categories.
Mandalinn noted that you can use this with any kind of fruit puree--she's used mashed bananas, some applesauce and diced apples for apple spice cake, etc.

I've made this several times and it's fantastic! The first time I baked it in little Pyrex custard cups...it filled 3 (DH and I fought over the third one!). Since then I've baked it in larger ramekins. It's very easy to stick one of these in the fridge and reheat it again later. Yum!

Last edited by beachgal; 11-21-2007 at 01:09 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

These are so yummy that I'm bumping them up.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote