Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Changes after switching to whole foods

Anyone else noticed any big changes after making the switch to whole foods? For me, it's definitely energy. I used to be so lethargic all the time, falling asleep in my office every afternoon. Now, I am so full of energy, all the time!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Anyone else noticed any big changes after making the switch to whole foods? For me, it's definitely energy. I used to be so lethargic all the time, falling asleep in my office every afternoon. Now, I am so full of energy, all the time!
Lots of changes... but the most important for me now is the change improved my mood and curbed my cravings for junk or not so good food. I'm a much more pleasant person to be around.... ah.. lets be a little vain ... it improved my skin too.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Well, I've lost some weight, I have more energy, and cravings for junk have subsided. It's easy for me to choose a varied, healthy diet when I'm not hooked on refined carbs and saturated fat.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #4  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

I feel great from the inside out (as I posted before somewhere)! Eating this way makes me feel alive and like every part of my body is working the way it was intended to. I just feel great! I don't have that sickening overstuffed feeling after gorging on toxic foods. I have energy, clarity, focus, and like Jayde said, I am much more pleasant to be around. I don't get as stressed out being around my 1 & 5 year old girls all day long! I look forward to putting in the time and care to prepare and enjoy my meals, knowing that I am doing something awesome for my body! The rewards of such eating have already begun to show! And the numbers on the scale are going down, down, down!

Thanks Glory87 for inspiring me to look into SuperFoods in the first place!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia627
Thanks Glory87 for inspiring me to look into SuperFoods in the first place!
Agreed - Glory, it was your posts about superfoods that got me interested in the books, too.

I look forward to feeding my family good, healthy foods, too! I also get a kick out of looking at my grocery cart in the grocery store ... thinking, "Wow, how healthy of me!" instead of wondering if the clerk suspects I'm going to eat all that ice cream myself.

I remember reading an article years ago that encouraged people to "eat their colors", which was basically the same concept ... choose a variety of colored vegetables every day to get well-rounded nutrition.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have more energy and feel better - I am also feeling good mentally and spiritually about the choices I am making.

Certain foods now gross me out just thinking about them - chips, donuts, sugar laden goodies, fast food, demented food items such as yogurt in a squeeze tube!

I also find that whole grain items or whole wheat items taste better and are more filling - they seem to be more satisfying.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
I remember reading an article years ago that encouraged people to "eat their colors", which was basically the same concept ... choose a variety of colored vegetables every day to get well-rounded nutrition.
Yeah - eating the rainbow Every now and then I like to play with it. It gets tough though, because of the relative lack of blue/purple foods.

Tomatoes, orange peppers, corn, romaine, blueberries, plums

Strawberries, sweet potatoes, yellow peppers, broccoli, beets, cherries
Old 07-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been gradually moving towards superfoods items over the past couple years or so without really knowing they were superfoods. So I haven't noticed any big changes.

Lately though I've noticed that I don't seem to require as much sleep as I used to. So I guess I do have more energy. My DF also seems to have more energy. Should I mention that he has lost weight without even trying just because he eats what I give him?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
My DF also seems to have more energy. Should I mention that he has lost weight without even trying just because he eats what I give him?
My boyfriend at the time lost about 10 lbs, just by changing what we ate for dinner (he didn't make any other changes).
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

I agree with mauvaisroux ... I feel good mentally and spiritually about consuming products I know were ethically produced.

Oh, Nelie, I seem to be able to spring out of bed better lately, too! I hadn't attributed it to better eating ... I assumed the longer days were doing it, but maybe it is nutrition related.

And indigestion problems are nonexistent, for me, now.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:03 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Well, My mind is clearer and I have some higher standards for what I put into my mouth. "Fake food" tastes absolutely disgusting. I blogged about a Wendy's trip I had had for the first time in years and was HORRIFIED. I will admit- I am mystified at people's ignorance regarding the amount of processed foods that are a part of the standard american diet- especially when it comes to children. I'm working on this one.

My taste buds have changed. If I have planned poorly for my day, I will not eat whatever is there. I wait until I can put something good into my body. My tolerance for refined foods have changed. I notice immediate effects on my body when I don't eat the way I should. I do not have to be concerned about body fat. I am extrememly in tune to my body's processes and reactions to envronment- a very good thing. The list goes on and on.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #12  

For me, it has really changed the things I feel like eating. When I started trying to lose weight in April, I did it by just eating healthy foods and cutting junk. It turns out I was on to the superfoods thing without knowing it. I feel like my tastes and cravings have changed. I'm not denying myself goodies, it's just that fatty, processed junk doesn't seem like goodies anymore. I got the second book at the library. I was ecstatic to see the piece of chocolate I treat myself to each night was actually good for me. Yeah!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #13  
Lookin for my collarbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41
... "Fake food" tastes absolutely disgusting...

My taste buds have changed... My tolerance for refined foods have changed. I...
Hi Jen-

How long did it take for this change to happen for you? What were your eating habits like before? Did you eat a lot more "fake food" and refined and junk?

I'm asking because I'm working on changing over to eating this way, but I struggle with cravings and habits right now which tend to derail me. I am working on planning around them, and I know that will help, but I am also hoping/waiting for the day when the yucky stuff really starts to seem yucky most of the time.

I ultimately want to live a life where I can have a treat once in a while, but I would love it if the treat I wanted was healthy as well 95% of the time.

-Sara
Rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have to agree that my taste buds have changed as well. I remember about 5 years ago, it was hard for me to eat my veggies unless they were covered with cheese. I used to eat lots of fruit but veggies were a challenge. It took quite a few months before I learned to like veggies as a regular staple and a quite a few months after that to LOVE them and I wouldn't imagine a meal without them.

I remember the last time I had a dessert at a restaurant and I thought it was way too sweet and really wasn't worth it. I couldn't imagine me turning down dessert but I do. I would also buy food that I used to LOVE and realize that I no longer loved it. Anyway, it does take a while but your body will adjust. I never really realized it was happening until I would eat things that I really liked at one point and then realize that they didn't taste as good as I thought they did.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

For me with the journey so far, I find that trying to fit as many super foods into my daily diet, I just don't have the room for other stuff. This weekend I went camping and on a family reunion. I ate more junk than I have in quite a while. I got sick to my stomach and could not sleep well. I had worse gas than I have had in quite some time and was just generally lethargic. I just can not beleive what a difference it has made in such a short time.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote