Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default 1 pot easy curry

I LOVE curry. i used to make it all the time, but my family got tirrd of it so i stopped. since i've been eating healthier, i don't think i've made it once in the last 7 months. so tonight, i made curry! i think i'm finally brave enough to make it, and NOT eat the whole pot lol. i have a new rule with eating less. Stay out of the kitchen! so i modified it to make it easier, less time in kitchen. and budget friendly

u need:
1 large pot

chicken- i used frozen chicken tenders, easily a meatless meal with chickpeas instead.
i think i used about 10 pieces.
frozen veggies- i used stew veggies: carrots, onion, celery, potatoes
extra fresh chopped carrots or veggies you like.

i cooked that all together, then added at the end:
curry stuff-your fav curry seasoning
tomato sauce- this is optional, and amount depends how much you like tomatoes. i used about 2 cups this time.

and that's it. you could also throw in some brown rice or cook rice separate. i didn't this time. keeping rice out keeps cals lower. i also want to use the chicken as leftovers. other times i made this with tons more veggies, and prob. will next time.
the best part is, this has no oil. the sauteing step is completely taken out.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

oh and you need water in the pot, but i don't count that as an ingredient.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy trail View Post
I LOVE curry. i used to make it all the time, but my family got tirrd of it so i stopped. since i've been eating healthier, i don't think i've made it once in the last 7 months. so tonight, i made curry! i think i'm finally brave enough to make it, and NOT eat the whole pot lol. i have a new rule with eating less. Stay out of the kitchen! so i modified it to make it easier, less time in kitchen. and budget friendly

u need:
1 large pot

chicken- i used frozen chicken tenders, easily a meatless meal with chickpeas instead.
i think i used about 10 pieces.
frozen veggies- i used stew veggies: carrots, onion, celery, potatoes
extra fresh chopped carrots or veggies you like.

i cooked that all together, then added at the end:
curry stuff-your fav curry seasoning
tomato sauce- this is optional, and amount depends how much you like tomatoes. i used about 2 cups this time.

and that's it. you could also throw in some brown rice or cook rice separate. i didn't this time. keeping rice out keeps cals lower. i also want to use the chicken as leftovers. other times i made this with tons more veggies, and prob. will next time.
the best part is, this has no oil. the sauteing step is completely taken out.
I LOVE curry too!

I make curry shepherds pie. The topping I make with a mix of mashed potato and mashed cauliflower which also lowers the calories. Add a little low fat cheese to the top and it browns to perfection.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote