Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #16  

Not to play devil's advocate, but will you really drive an hour for groceries weekly? If you're looking at it as an option for produce, you likely won't be able to stock up in one trip for a while.. I know myself. I'll drive 30 minutes to Whole Foods or Trader Joes MAYBE once a month, but I tend to go to the Cub across the street 90% of the time despite preferring even the 5 minute away Rainbow.

IDK, that's just my two cents.. No matter how great the deals, if you're not going to waste that much time driving there to use it, it's worthless. Plus, what are those 2 hours of your life (driving there and back) worth, you know?
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineNicole View Post
Not to play devil's advocate, but will you really drive an hour for groceries weekly? If you're looking at it as an option for produce, you likely won't be able to stock up in one trip for a while.. I know myself. I'll drive 30 minutes to Whole Foods or Trader Joes MAYBE once a month, but I tend to go to the Cub across the street 90% of the time despite preferring even the 5 minute away Rainbow.

IDK, that's just my two cents.. No matter how great the deals, if you're not going to waste that much time driving there to use it, it's worthless. Plus, what are those 2 hours of your life (driving there and back) worth, you know?
I live about 30 minutes from our Sams and we only go there once or MAYBE twice a month. We stock up the first part of the month w/ meats, cheeses, etc and occasionally we have to go back later in the month for shampoo, toilet paper, etc.

It's definitely worth it. As long as you've got the freezer space, you can easily stock up on meats and freeze them for later use.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #18  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I have a 2 person houshold and still shop at them I have two homes both very rural so bulk shop and freeze. I have learned to buy what holds up and I also eat fairly clean. I either shop at SAMS club or a Costco and my other stoer is a Walmart now if I can not find what I need I will go to another chain store but they are way more$$$$$. I use to be in the grocery industry.
I buy at SAMS or COSTCO
Paper goods
Frozen Chiccken Breasts
Frozen Salmon
Frozen Maui Maui
Frozen Cod
Frozen Hamburger Patties
Frozen Salmon Patties
Frozen Turkey Patties
Fresh MEATS
Baby Spinch {BEST PRICES}
Tomatoes
Apples
Grapes
Fruits

They have great deals on clothes and food prepaed and canned I usually don't use much they have cerals soups ect.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #19  
it's always something

I buy the giant tubs of organic spring mix and spinach for $3.98, which is half of what the supermarkets charge. I share it with my son so it doesn't have a chance to go bad and we buy it weekly.

I also buy their portabella mushrooms. They cost 3.99 for a 4 pack and they are always the hardest mushrooms in town. Perfect

We buy frozen fruit and vegetables from Sams.

They do have cheap canned/jarred products but the vast majority of them are highly processed. We don't even go down those aisles anymore. It's amazing - and sad - how much junk food they sell.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote